LegacyGT.com

New ‘18 owner advice?

I’m a new 2018 legacy premium owner, also new to Subaru and AWD. Picked a Subaru because I intend on driving it forever. I’m getting the windows tinted this week, I’ve also purchased a chemical guy wax kit to keep the paint in top shape.

I’m looking for recommendations on basic mods I can do myself. Specifically LED headlight upgrade (it looks like I need low and hi beam). I’ve been looking at diode dynamics and it seems straight forward like I could do it myself.

I think the back of the car looks pretty boring too. I haven’t seen any posts on taillight mods or kits. Am I the only one who feels the need to upgrade the back? Maybe a spoiler?

9ff2b7d963a9cee30a4948dbf80dc2c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a new 2018 legacy premium owner, also new to Subaru and AWD. Picked a Subaru because I intend on driving it forever. I’m getting the windows tinted this week, I’ve also purchased a chemical guy wax kit to keep the paint in top shape.

I’m looking for recommendations on basic mods I can do myself. Specifically LED headlight upgrade (it looks like I need low and hi beam). I’ve been looking at diode dynamics and it seems straight forward like I could do it myself.

I think the back of the car looks pretty boring too. I haven’t seen any posts on taillight mods or kits. Am I the only one who feels the need to upgrade the back? Maybe a spoiler?

9ff2b7d963a9cee30a4948dbf80dc2c6.jpg

Rear Swaybar Upgrade would be better that Visual Upgrades.. I recommend a 22mm because of the size of the car. A lot of guys do a 20mm but still think its a bit light.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My advice:

Stop reading these forums or you'll think your car will fall apart in 13 days.

It's not actually that bad. Over on the Audi/BMW/Nasioc forums you'd think every single car is a ticking time bomb with a bazillion hidden problems. Our much simpler and less-stressed Legacies suffer mostly from wheel bearings, and those are serviceable.

The only real achilles heel your Subaru has is the CVT. Until Subaru can tell us how to make it live as long as the rest of the car, I would not recommend owning one outside of a warranty (Subaru or aftermarket).

Congrats! I would hold off on any upgrades till you drive the car for a bit. Get used to it the way it is, then "upgrade" some things. I would also go with the Rear Sway Bar first, I changed mine and its been great since.

The only real achilles heel your Subaru has is the CVT. Until Subaru can tell us how to make it live as long as the rest of the car, I would not recommend owning one outside of a warranty (Subaru or aftermarket).

Remember that Subaru has extended the CVT warranty out to 100,000 miles or 160,000 km and 10 years, so put this on your 2028 calendar as a consideration.

Great Pic spencerone! Fill out your signature if you intend to stick around.

My suggestion is go Diode Dynamics lights, much better and very solid.

If I had a red car I’d do a vinyl wrap on the roof gloss black, I’d also do a chrome delete too around the windows with vinyl wrap.

But truly it’s your car and your choice.

One thing I suggest new owners is to make sure to put a clear bra on the front of the car, sure it’s expensive but if you care about your car and want to keep it for a long time I think it’s a worthy investment.

To Spencerone .... Norskie's comment here is often heard .... I'm not saying he is wrong (what would I know anyway) ... but I would dare to suggest that if you drove sensibly and "babyed" your CVT then I'd suggest that there is every chance you could drive it forever. I don't think that necessarily means you have to drive like a grandma .... but just don't put the transmision under undue pressure. And keep in mind what Waldguy said in his post " Remember that Subaru has extended the CVT warranty out to 100,000 miles or 160,000 km and 10 years, so put this on your 2028 calendar as a consideration."

P.S. I hope to drive mine "forever" as well.

... I would dare to suggest that if you drove sensibly and "babyed" your CVT then I'd suggest that there is every chance you could drive it forever. I don't think that necessarily means you have to drive like a grandma .... but just don't put the transmision under undue pressure.

"Don't beat on it" is good advice for any car you want to keep a long time.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thanks for the tips everyone. The sway bar sounds like a good addition later on down the road. I do have the extended warranty to 10 years, so I’m not worried about the CVT. Repairs are part of owning a car no big deal.

My suggestion is go Diode Dynamics lights, much better and very solid.

If I had a red car I’d do a vinyl wrap on the roof gloss black, I’d also do a chrome delete too around the windows with vinyl wrap.

But truly it’s your car and your choice.

One thing I suggest new owners is to make sure to put a clear bra on the front of the car, sure it’s expensive but if you care about your car and want to keep it for a long time I think it’s a worthy investment.

I’ve never heard of the clear bra before. Will have to look into that

I'm at 165,000+ miles on my '16 daily commuter.

Biggest issue so far for me is the windshield failure.

Solid preventative maintenance is key IMHO for longevity and I always do my own.

I suggest spend the $$ and download the full service manual pdf.

This forum has also been an invaluable resource. Odds are pretty good that most problems have been resolved, or at least discussed here at length.

I've done many mods but you mention specifically headlights...

These LED Headlights are what have had installed for about 6 months:

Lo beam

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKPR452/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi beam

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKC818Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note on the Hi beam that they will come on as DRLs.

Much less expensive than Diode Dynamics and 2 yr warranty.

Solid preventative maintenance is key IMHO for longevity and I always do my own.

This forum has also been an invaluable resource. Odds are pretty good that most problems have been resolved, or at least discussed here at length.

Lo beam

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKPR452/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi beam

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKC818Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FWIW: I did consider the Hikari, and they seem like a really good performer for the money, but I thought they were too blue. If you're ok with that, then great!

Also, on the 2018, the highbeams are not used for DRL, so the OP wouldn't have worry about that.

Lo beam

Hi beam

When Did you change your plugs out? Do you have a 2.5 or 3.6.. I have 112k on my 15' and was planning to do it at 120k..

FWIW: I did consider the Hikari, and they seem like a really good performer for the money, but I thought they were too blue. If you're ok with that, then great!

Also, on the 2018, the highbeams are not used for DRL, so the OP wouldn't have worry about that.

Thanks! I don’t want the blue look. It has DRL “C” LED that are white, as well as white LED fog lights at night.

Edited by spencerone

Lo beam

Hi beam

Have you done anything for your windshield? The dealer recommended contacting my insurance to get added coverage because it was expensive to replace due to the eyesight system.

Fun discussion everyone!

ncted

Mine seem pretty white (no blue) to me.

Have them in:

- Legacy

- '13 Kia Soul (after modification)

- '07 Grand caravan (after modification)

It is all in the eye of the beholder at the end of the day.

Grnlantern1

You should be good to 120k.

I replaced mine @ 109k and they were fine.

See post below for pics/details:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installing-replacing-spark-plugs-262717.html?p=5777673&highlight=plugs#post5777673

spencerone

I'm planning to get it replaced next week sometime.

Definitely get additional insurance coverage especially with the eyesight.

There's a whole adjustment and check (ES-12 in the service manual) of the stereo camera that needs to be accomplished with the windshield replacement.

I purposely got my model without the Eyesight as I see it as another whiz-bang (expensive) gizmo to fail.

Have you done anything for your windshield? The dealer recommended contacting my insurance to get added coverage because it was expensive to replace due to the eyesight system.

I've replaced my Windshield twice already and will be doing another soon I have another cracked windshield but I'm driving to Washington from California so dont want to change until I return.

Fun discussion everyone!

ncted

Mine seem pretty white (no blue) to me.

Have them in:

- Legacy

- '13 Kia Soul (after modification)

- '07 Grand caravan (after modification)

It is all in the eye of the beholder at the end of the day.

Yeah, it is just a matter of preference. I just prefer the more neutral/yellower color. If I could get good LEDs with the same color temp and lux as the halogen H9s I had put in previously, I would have been happier.

I've replaced my Windshield twice already and will be doing another soon I have another cracked windshield but I'm driving to Washington from California so dont want to change until I return.

My windshield took a huge stone. Result was a significant star pattern just behind the mirror (no eyesight) -- too big to repair. That was 2016. I thought it would travel, but through three Canadian prairie winters it stayed put.

If I could get good LEDs with the same...lux as the halogen H9s I had put in previously, I would have been happier.

H9 should be a significant upgrade (upgrading my Civic to 9012 HIRs was a huge upgrade). LED should be a change in color, with less actual practical light output, right?

i just purchased some H9's. I've just got to find the time to modify them for install. I KNOW it only takes five minutes - sheesh, get off my back! :lol:

So, OP, do you want more light or "better-looking" light? Don't stray to the dark side!

Edited by gathermewool

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

My windshield took a huge stone. Result was a significant star pattern just behind the mirror (no eyesight) -- too big to repair. That was 2016. I thought it would travel, but through three Canadian prairie winters it stayed put.
All my hits have been on the edges of the Windshield within 3" or less and Glass Shop told me that's the weakest point of any windshield.. I currently have 3 strikes in the center area and like you said they haven't traveled either..Just Bad Luck for me I guess..[emoji3064][emoji3064]

H9 should be a significant upgrade (upgrading my Civic to 9012 HIRs was a huge upgrade). LED should be a change in color, with less actual practical light output, right?

i just purchased some H9's. I've just got to find the time to modify them for install. I KNOW it only takes five minutes - sheesh, get off my back! :lol:

So, OP, do you want more light or "better-looking" light? Don't stray to the dark side!

The only issues with the H9s were:

1. Time to modify the bulbs. I tried an adapter kit, but it was poorly made.

2. Lifespan of the bulbs. The first set of H9s I put in only lasted about 7 months. High beams are not supposed to be on all the time, so the bulbs are designed for higher output but shorter lifespan.

3. Mild concern about putting too much power through the standard wiring. Probably not a big deal, but I am certain the designers did not plan for an extra 10W going through those wires.

The DD H11s have a similar lux output, longer lifespan, and lower power consumption compared to the H9s, but a higher color temp, so it was a trade off. I definitely wouldn't want to go any cooler, but other people like that whiter or even bluer color temp.

Thank you for your input - much appreciated!

I had the same concerns when I upgraded my Civic to HIR bulbs.

In response to your concerns:

1. I used a dremel to modify the bulb tab, which took all of 1 minute per bulb, and that was taking my time

2. Did you thoroughly clean the bulb prior to install and ensure you didn't touch it (e.g., by wearing gloves) to prevent any oils from transferring to the glass?

Even still, I won't keep H9's in there if they don't last more than a couple of years. Less than one year is ridiculous.

3. I can't imagine an 18% increase in power will smoke the wiring. It also seems to be a common enough upgrade, that I would think we'd see some reports of issues.

I'm all for higher color temperature. Even the OEM HIDs in my '14 FXT are too low for me and they're on the higher color temperature of white.

Are you saying that we can modify an H11 bulb to fit in our Legacy? I might have to look into that for the next time.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where