LegacyGT.com

I have a 05 legacy gt it jumped time and I got the kit and put it back in time and it was running funny and I thought I messed up so I tore it back down and all the marks are right but my turbo isn't building boost and when it tries it backfires and falls on it's face if anyone can help I'd appreciate it

Sent from my 5041C using Tapatalk

these are interference fit engines, sorry to tell you, you have bent valves.

Oh welcome to the forum.

here's the service manual...you may need it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I agree with Max on the diagnosis. You've most likely bent your valves. You can try doing a compression test to confirm it. If you have a USB scope you can try and see how the pistons look from inside the spark plug holes. But you running it like that makes it sound like it's hosed. If the diagnosis is correct, You're looking at a full engine tear down and rebuild. You'll likely need all new heads, and a new set of pistons on one or both sides.

You might be REALLY unlucky and blew metal fragments all through your oil galleys. If you did you'll notice some metal frags in the pan and or oil filter. If this happened, add the turbo and anything that touches oil to the replacement. It'll save you time and effort down the road when it fails from ingesting metal too.

If you are lucky it's a bent valve or two, start with a compression test and see which head that has to come off, then you can continue from there.

In the best situation all you need is new valves, in the worst it's a boat anchor you have.

453747.png

Archived