LegacyGT.com

05 legacy gt power steering pump leak

The top of the ps pump has a plastic piece attached with a single bolt, the plastic piece leads to a hose that goes to the ps fluid resevoir (low pressure return line). That plastic piece when taken off has a little o ring that gets hard and leaks over the years. Check to see if your ps fluid is low and I would bet that's the cause if so.

Just spent 30 minutes failing to upload pictures...

Looks to be return hose. There's a good amount of grime buildup in that area. I remember cleaning this recently too. Oil pressure sensor looks clean. Can you confirm that the oil pressure sensor is right next to the EJxx stamp on the engine?

Thanks.

The return hose, is that where the U shaped crush seal is ? The dealership parts guys will have one for a few dollars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oil pressure sensor is on the engine block.

Hose on top of ps pump is a suction hose. That black plastic piece is where a lot of people replace an oring that stops some leaks.

Those hose on the side is a pressure hose that sends fluid to the rack and everything. That's where the u shaped washer is. It's metal, haven't really seen that be the culprit a whole lot.

Then the pump itself can leak from the back. Leaking pump=new pump or rebuild with $50ish of orings.

You can start with the oring on the suction hose as it's the cheapest and most accessible to fix. Clean up everything real nice, monitor fluid level. If it continues to drop but the top of the pump is still clean, I'd replace the pump.

Archived