LegacyGT.com

Popping noise in front.

So i was gifted a 95 legacy wagon(231k miles). But it needed some love. Mostly for safety. Ive changed the front brake pads, calipers and rotors, as well as back pads. And ive just changed the steering rack and pinion, and outer and inner tie rods.

But even after this over hard bumps i get a popping noise in the front passenger wheel area.

The cv axles seem fine, the boots arnt torn or anything, theres no excessive play. Either by working the tires, or by working the axles itself.

Pushing up and down on the front of the car to get it bouncing doesnt reproduce the noise.

Honestly not sure what to check at this point, or if it is a cause for concern...

After im finished working on the car its definitely got a mong trip ahead of it, so making sure its safe and taken care of is a priority... Everything as far as the engine and transmission was kept up on and in good shape.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I can provide more details if anyone would like. I just dont know what else to provide off the top of my head.

The car has over 200k on it so it's safe to say anything rubber in the suspension is in need of replacement. But my guess would be control arm bushings.

Hm yeah. Good one. I was thinking about changing the swaybar links and rechecking the ball joints tmrw morning... Ill check the bushings as well.

Is this something that will catastrophically fail in these vehicles, or will it just be uncomfortable and annoying?

Needless to say im alrdy a little bit deeper in the pockets than i intended...

Pretty much coming off the funds i got from my trailblazer i wrecked(rip)

Try to go over some bumps that are even side to side, some just on the left, and some just on the right. That can help show if it is only on one side, or only when there is a difference from one side to the other.

The things you describe make it sound like you have some skill and checked for serious things. I've overlooked sway bar stuff before since it won't affect steering and alignment in similar situations. If your noise happens when there is a difference in bump side to side, but not on one specific side I'd say sway bar. If it's always just on the one side I'd say control arm.

Sway bar links, no big deal. Control arm bushins can mean a wrecked tire from alignment changing.

Wrecked tire, not as big of a concern as tire falling off or something of the like

Try to go over some bumps that are even side to side, some just on the left, and some just on the right. That can help show if it is only on one side, or only when there is a difference from one side to the other.

The things you describe make it sound like you have some skill and checked for serious things. I've overlooked sway bar stuff before since it won't affect steering and alignment in similar situations. If your noise happens when there is a difference in bump side to side, but not on one specific side I'd say sway bar. If it's always just on the one side I'd say control arm.

Ive done a lot of driving around lately what with changing parts and test drivint etc... And the only thing ive noticed is big bumps, on one side only... Cant say ive gone over an even bump on both sides... But ive feel like ive hit a divet that caused it on one side and not the other

Speed hump if you can find one and hit it even. But from way over here your description of big bump on one side only my vote is for the rear bushing on the control arm. Runner up would be front bushing on the control arm.

Speed hump if you can find one and hit it even. But from way over here your description of big bump on one side only my vote is for the rear bushing on the control arm. Runner up would be front bushing on the control arm.

I guess ill drive around and look for one this morning... Salt lake doesnt like speed bumps for whatever reason.

They have like speed dips at intersections, but im not tryin to blow through stop signs and such.

I am going to rule out the back as opposed to the front, because it is only when the front hits, not the back. Ive definitely been able to constitently make sure of that.

Im hoping to have this done by monday so i can get back on the road after a couple months of being delayed. (lots of lost work and opportunity :( )

I meant the bushing at the rear of the front control arm. It's a pivot thing that looks kinda like a yin-yang. The front bushing is a more normal looking thing pressed into the front of the control arm. The rear costs more, but it is easy to replace. Front one is cheap, but needs a press to get it swapped.

Ah right. Derp.

Honestly it could be the control arm bushing, but on further inspection of that passenger ball joint, i noticed it from an angle i never rly bothered to check, and discovered i can see the actual metal rod, like the rubber in one side is so depressed and ripped its just bare.

So i found a subaru with some fresher looking ones at the junk yard. Grease is still clean, boot is still fresh feeling... Ima pop that in tomorrow and see what happens before i go back go the junk yard... Im also going to grab some visors, rearview mirror and maybe a set of used tires(about 20-25 a tire for good tread, mine are dead)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a ball joint that wont come out of the knuckle? I got it removed from the control arm.

I dont have much time or money to throw at it anymore u fortunately

Archived