LegacyGT.com

My car only came with one key.

There’s a local hardware store in my area that cuts and programs keys. They are pretty expensive. The key with the built in fob is about 200.00 , a key without the fob, is 89.00.

Question, I’m new to Subaru.

If I use the key without a fob to open the door. Will it activate an alarm?

I’m not sure if using a fob key unlocks the doors and deactivates an alarm at the same time.

My car only came with one key.

There’s a local hardware store in my area that cuts and programs keys. They are pretty expensive. The key with the built in fob is about 200.00 , a key without the fob, is 89.00.

Question, I’m new to Subaru.

If I use the key without a fob to open the door. Will it activate an alarm?

I’m not sure if using a fob key unlocks the doors and deactivates an alarm at the same time.

The fob unlocks and unarms the anti theft system. But the chip in the key disables the immobilizer to allow the fuel pump to turn on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So , would a chipped key without a fob be no good?

That’s what I was thinking, if I opened the door lock with a chipped key, the anti theft system would still be on. With no way of turning it off.

My 2010 had a grey spare key that did not have the lock/unlock on it. It was just a plain Subaru key that came with the car. The key I used daily had the fob head on it. You may want to give a dealer a call. I had to buy a key at one point because I thought I lost the spare (long story). The key with the fob was $129 ordered off the VIN and came cut from the factory. It was an additional $60 to program it to the car. It sounds like your hardware store is same money without programming it.

The grey spare did not set off any alarms in my car when using it. I don't know how or why, I didn't do anything special. I rarely needed to use it, maybe 10 times while I owned the car. It was a 2010 Legacy 2.5 premium.

My son's 2010 Impreza has a similar grey key, but if I'm not mistaken it does set off the alarm until you put it in the ignition and turn it on. I can double check that when he gets home from work if you like. He has a separate fob, not the head of the key like the legacy.

Edited by poconoracing

So , would a chipped key without a fob be no good?

Depends on what you mean by no good. The keyless entry/alarm system and the engine immobilizer are two discrete things. If you have a key fob, but no chipped key, you can open the car, but not start it. If you have a chipped key (that's registered in the ECU) and no fob, you can unlock the drivers door with the key (which will make the alarm go off if it was activated) and then can start and drive the car.

You need a chipped key that's registered with the computer in the car to drive it, otherwise the immobilizer prevents you from starting it up.

Forgot to mention, the price that the hardware store charges ,includes programming .

I wouldn’t want to set the alarm off when I opened the door. If that is the case, I’ll probably splurge for a fob key. Thanks for all the info!!

The gray key is a valet key and shouldn't open the trunk or glove box. It should only unlock the door and start the car. Too bad it doesn't keep the car out of boost, that would make me feel better about giving my keys to someone else.

Forgot to mention, the price that the hardware store charges ,includes programming .

I wouldn’t want to set the alarm off when I opened the door. If that is the case, I’ll probably splurge for a fob key. Thanks for all the info!!

If you don’t care about having an alarm, then engage valet mode and get the grey key. If you want to keep using the alarm then get a fob key.

• 2 years later...

In my recent experience, turning a key with no fob twice in the driver door to unlock twice and holding it will not set off the alarm.

To avoid setting the alarm, do not use power locks. Lock the doors on the interior with the plastic switch above the handle and close the door. Will not set the alarm. If you have a key with a fob already, this can save money for a short term fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk