LegacyGT.com

Rattle in the Dash

jc51373

And oh...the fuse compartment door inside the car comes off every time it is cold outside...It somehow contracts at very cold temps and just disengages from its lock. It drives me nuts...but i am ashamed of going to the dealership for such a minor shit. And don"t want to stick no tape there...aNY SOLUTIONS ? Right now it is locked in place with some parafilm on the edges...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny thing is, I rarely hear the rattles when I drive on my own b/c the radio is on the loud side. I have to change that. lol. Anyway, it is when I drive to lunch with coworkers and the volume is at a reasonable level that I hear the noises and it bugs the crap out of me.

My rattle on the passenger side was the glove box door. I could apply light pressure to it and it would stop but I couldn't drive around holding my glovebox door. So, I took the fuzzy side of a velcro pad with adhesive on it and put it in the upper right corner inside the door. It's black so you don't even notice it and it has eliminated the noise.

• 4 weeks later...

I've brought my car to the dealer about 8 times to fix the damn rattle in my door/dash. The first few times they told me they couldn't replicate the noise. Finally I took them out for a ride myself.

This rattle happens ONLY around 3K RPM. Basically anywhere in the range of 2800 to 3200. Basically, I can get it up to 3K RPM in any gear, take my foot off the gas and it rattles like crazy.

The service manager took the car out himself. He said he didn't hear it the entire time until he pulled back into the dealership, then it was consistent. They've taken the door and the dash apart and it has gotten no better.

The last guy that took the door apart ended up leaving a bunch of screwdriver marks in the door skin, as well as damaging the plastic piece that goes around the door handle and the speaker. Today I had to go back and point out to them where they damaged it so they could order the correct parts and put it back to normal.

This rattle is driving me insane. It only happens during the winter, usually when the temperature outside is under 50 degrees. Does anyone have any ideas? It sounds almost like a metallic buzzing. Could this be the fuel lines everyone was talking about? It sounds like it is right at the upper part of the car where the door and the dash meet.

My dash rattle was between the dash and the windshield over near the driver's side A pillar. I wedged a 1/4" piece of sorbothane in the gap (pressing the dash down) and it is gone. It only rattled in certain temperatures and harsh road surface.

i have heard a few rattles in mine recently. first one was on the passenger side above the window where the hand bar is. sounded like a loose wire behind there moving around everytime i go over a bump. the noises have since gone away.

then i get the squeeky back window when the car is cold still on very very cold days.

i get the squeek that everyone here has experienced on the driver side where the pillar meets the dash. this one is not too bad as i don't often hear it.

the noise i hate the most is coming from the center console where the shifter and cup holder meets. when i accelerate in 1st and 2nd i hear the two pieces rub together making a little squeak. annoying as hell. the noise stops when i reach over from the passenger side and push on the two peices really hard. have to figure out a fix for that.

lastly, i think i get some sort of squeeking from the driver chair upon acceleration. still working on where it's coming from.

I have a rattle coming from the cruise control switch, its in the set button. Anytime I tap the sterring wheel or hit a bump in the road its rattles. I have to drive with my finger on the switch or it rattles like crazy. I also have a rattle were the apilar meets the dash, this one may be self induced though. My glove box wouldnt stay closed, even when empty, so I slammed it shut with alot of force. It fixed the glove box, but I get a creaking sound on the drivers side at the apilar. I fixed another dash rattle when I installed xm. I took the antenna wire and forced it into the gap between the dash and the center consol.

I have a rattle coming from the cruise control switch, its in the set button. Anytime I tap the sterring wheel or hit a bump in the road its rattles. I have to drive with my finger on the switch or it rattles like crazy. I also have a rattle were the apilar meets the dash, this one may be self induced though. My glove box wouldnt stay closed, even when empty, so I slammed it shut with alot of force. It fixed the glove box, but I get a creaking sound on the drivers side at the apilar. I fixed another dash rattle when I installed xm. I took the antenna wire and forced it into the gap between the dash and the center consol.

There's a TSB out for this issue:

http://www.thel7.com/TSB/15-114-05.pdf

Mine was on the driver's side under the VIN plate. Took it to the dealer once and was told that Subaru's recommended fix was to use some "sticky tape" to hold down the narrow section of the dash that butts up against the windshield. That worked for about an hour on the road. I went back and demanded that they do whatever necessary to fix it. After some haggling, the dealer agreed to replace the dash. Turns out that a plastic anchor on the underside of the top piece of the dash had broken off (probably during assembly). I've had the new dash for about a month now and the car is still rattle-free. I love driving the car, but it's even better without the rattle.

... My glove box wouldnt stay closed, even when empty, so I slammed it shut with alot of force. It fixed the glove box, but I get a creaking sound on the drivers side at the apilar. I fixed another dash rattle when I installed xm. I took the antenna wire and forced it into the gap between the dash and the center consol.

I had the same problem with my glovebox from the day I picked up the car - the dealer replaced the whole box for me under warranty - I refuse to slam my box to get it shut.

By the way, I get a symphony of creaks going at the center cosole: top of radio against the vents; radio against both side plastic strips; radio against the ashtray/gearshift, etc. I've taken this whole assembly apart, and am planning to use some kind of flock tape between all the pieces to silence the creaking. Can anyone recommend the best tape (or material) to use, and where to get it? Thanks.

Mine was on the driver's side under the VIN plate. Took it to the dealer once and was told that Subaru's recommended fix was to use some "sticky tape" to hold down the narrow section of the dash that butts up against the windshield. That worked for about an hour on the road. I went back and demanded that they do whatever necessary to fix it. After some haggling, the dealer agreed to replace the dash. Turns out that a plastic anchor on the underside of the top piece of the dash had broken off (probably during assembly). I've had the new dash for about a month now and the car is still rattle-free. I love driving the car, but it's even better without the rattle.

I am experiecing the same thing. I am going to mention it to the dealer when I have my first oil change next month. Its noisier than the rattle I have near the vent. This one is coming from directly in front of the driver. If I reach over and hold down the far edge of the dash near the glass...no rattle.

Rattles in a Subaru??? :icon_surp Now way!

I have the fuel line vibration around 3K RPM (Sounded like something loose in the door or dash somwhere - one zip tie and all gone)

Where did you tie them up? Under the hood or inside the car?

I took the car to the dealership for the ECU replacement and was able to replicate the rattle for them. The last few times I dropped it off for the rattle I told them how to replicate it but apparently they weren't paying attention. I took both the service manager and his shop foreman out in the car.

It seems like the foreman thinks it is the fuel lines, as he was tapping on them outside the car and it seemed to be making a similar sound. We'll see what happens when I get the car back.

• 2 months later...

Ok, not to revive a very old thread, but I figured I would update with positive news.

I decided I had enough with the vibration I was exeriencing, and I am now unemployed, so I had some time to bring it in to the dealer. Dealer agreed pretty quickly there was a problem, but had never dealt with it. Called Subaru techline and they hadn't hear of it.

They pulled the guage cluster, drove without it, and no noise. Singled out the guage cluster, and figured out that it didn't fit right in the bezel. There was a small space where it didn't fit tightly and was causing a vibration. They were advised to fit a piece of felt and tape and in it to close the gap-problem solved. No more vibration, lovin it!

Also had a popping noise up by the windshield on the driver side that they were completely familiar with, fixed it no problem. Car is a silent as can be, I am very pleased with Subaru service. Let it be duly noted.

Just wanted to update in case anyone else out there had a vibration from their guage pod. Basically there is a possibility it does not fit perfectly, and they need to remove it make a modification.

Car is the way it should be now and I love it!

Also, I told them I had an AP and they were totally cool with it. Very cool dealer, will be giving very good feedback when I get the questionaire.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar rattle. : )

• 2 months later...

I went to Long Subaru, formerly Tri-State I believe. They were great.

But......After some time and a few colder mornings here, I have discovered the rattle is still there, altough very faint.

I am going to wait until the winter months and see if there is a consistent, noticable rattle again. If so, I will take it, they will be familiar with it and it should be fixed.

I am convinced if Subaru can find and fix this rattle they can fix anything. This one was tough. But so far, fairly good and fixed.

• 8 months later...
Hey my guage cluster seems to creek over every little bump, does any one know how to take out the cluster? I was hoping it just popped out like everything else on the dash so I pulled the cubby out then tried to push it from the back but it didn't seem to budge, I don't really want to unlease the Hulk on it bec/ i figure there are some screws somewhere and if something breaks in that area it would probably break the bank too.

Archived