LegacyGT.com

98 legacy outback engine swap

I've got a 98 legacy outback and I just want more power in it. It has a 2.5l engine at the moment and I was wondering would a EZ30 3.6l V6 engine fit with no displacement? If there is how much and is there a way I can make it work?

I believe there were small differences with cooling system, exhaust system, wiring and accessories as well as the H6 having a different cross member. But as long as you have the H6 cross member everything SHOULD bolt up the same. You'd have to do some wiring though I think. You'd probably be best off to find a donor car then try to find all the parts from junkyards and ebay etc

The EZ30 is a pretty easy swap, wiring aside. The achilles heel with these cars and engine swaps are the wiring job. The engines physically fit and bolt up, but none of your electronics will work right without the correct harness merge. I believe Brighton is mistaken because the subframe is the same, but what is not the same is the radiator mount. The 3rd gen had a bigger nose, meaning the radiator is about 3 inches taller than the 2nd gen radiator. You'll need to modify your radiator core support to adapt the special H6 radiator that had 2 upper inlets. No other radiator will fit because of this.

For some cheap money, poke around and find some posts by Ken Morales, I think he goes by EJ22D on here. He's pretty good at experimenting with the NA motors and different combinations of heads, cams, and blocks to make better than stock power on a NA motor without the complexity of a harness merge or complete swap.

Archived