LegacyGT.com

2008 Outback XT?

Whopper

I found a 2008 Outback xt with 149k Miles but the car appears as tho its never seen a modification and has had normal maintenance(carfax). Should I just walk away from this car or is it something that I should look into? Also any info on primary problems with this year would be nice, I know they had cooling issues and head failures.

If you can get a good compression and leakdown test done before purchase I'd go for it depending on price and condition.

There are options for motor's if that goes, but having a decent knowledge of the cars is a plus. You're in a good location for getting help. See if the dealer will let you take it to Dave with Cryo (Vendor Member - Cryotune) for a look over. Is it a 5 speed?

In addition to what BoozeRS05 mentioned, I'd also take the car on a long, thorough test drive. Get into boost and make sure no strange noises, etc. I bring my BtSSM dongle with me when I look at turbo Subarus, datalog during the test drive and don't make a decision until I review the datalog. Has served me well three times so far. Got me a good discount on my current wagon, and also saved me from trying to drive it home from a different state with a turbo about to go out. Only sign of impending turbo failure was falling short of the boost target, and very slight intermittent rattling noise. The car was bone stock, with 142k miles. Had I not caught the turbo issue, I suspect I would have killed the motor driving it home.

Oh, and if the turbo has been recently replaced, be very very suspicious. Common story.

The car was golden and is now in my driveway the dealer had it a compression and leak down when they got it and they had proof. The dealer also told me "Make sure you can hear the turbo on the test drive ;)" it was perfect and its amazing.

Archived