LegacyGT.com

Code readers and check engine light

I'm looking for any thoughts on the usefulness (or not) of a code reader.

I'm thinking about this because I do a lot of country driving and I'm just giving the scenario of the dreaded "check engine" light some consideration. Firstly let me say that I have done some research, and I know that a check engine light can mean anything from a loose gas filler cap to something a whole lot more mechanically complicated.

I have also read that apparently a blinking light is more critical than a continuous light .... but having said that, the Subaru manual seems to say that both conditions in some circumstances, may require "immediate diagnosis" by a dealer.

In the city, if need be, that is reasonably easy to comply with, but in much of the places that I drive in, there is no Subaru dealer anywhere near it ... or any other dealer probably for that matter.

So I'm wondering if a code reader would be of any benefit to me ..... if for nothing else than reassuring me that I can continue driving to try and find a dealer without doing serious damge to the motor ..... or conversely tell me to pull over and phone for an emergency tow.

I am in the highest category of our "Roadside Assist" insurance, so I am covered there, but obviously if I can proceed to a dealer or a repair shop in my own time, then that's a better option than waiting on the side of the road for assistance to eventually show up.

So would a code reader help me to make the decision I need?

If so, any thoughts on this reader would be appreciated.....

https://www.totaltools.com.au/automotive/mechanics-service-tools/diagnostic-tools/116232-foxwell-obd-port-code-reader-et2707

Thanks in advance.

I'd agree that it would be useful to know what the CEL is for because it could be something simple as you mentioned.

However I wouldn't spend $99, if you have an android phone all you need is one of these :

https://www.amazon.com.au/Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android-Devices/dp/B07B3RQ1BY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=3MN2QPMVAV7IS&keywords=obdii+bluetooth&qid=1553493777&s=gateway&sprefix=Obdii+bluet&sr=8-2

That along with the Torque app on the Google play store will give you the same functionality.

I agree with moral hazard with one exception: Don't cheap out on the OBD-to-Bluetooth adapter (or anything else that touches the car's CAN bus). I highly recommend the top-of-the-line OBDLink LX adapter, which is highly reliable and has a standby current drain of only 2 milliamps.

The two Android apps I use most are Torque and ActiveOBD, both of which have free versions. These apps can do a whole lot more than just read/reset DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes). ActiveOBD is Subaru-centric, and can even access parameters like CVT fluid temperature in real time. You can even integrate the Subaru-specific functionality of ActiveOBD into Torque by purchasing the reasonably priced paid versions of both apps.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I'm looking for any thoughts on the usefulness (or not) of a code reader.

I'm thinking about this because I do a lot of country driving and I'm just giving the scenario of the dreaded "check engine" light some consideration. Firstly let me say that I have done some research, and I know that a check engine light can mean anything from a loose gas filler cap to something a whole lot more mechanically complicated.

I have also read that apparently a blinking light is more critical than a continuous light .... but having said that, the Subaru manual seems to say that both conditions in some circumstances, may require "immediate diagnosis" by a dealer.

In the city, if need be, that is reasonably easy to comply with, but in much of the places that I drive in, there is no Subaru dealer anywhere near it ... or any other dealer probably for that matter.

So I'm wondering if a code reader would be of any benefit to me ..... if for nothing else than reassuring me that I can continue driving to try and find a dealer without doing serious damge to the motor ..... or conversely tell me to pull over and phone for an emergency tow.

I am in the highest category of our "Roadside Assist" insurance, so I am covered there, but obviously if I can proceed to a dealer or a repair shop in my own time, then that's a better option than waiting on the side of the road for assistance to eventually show up.

So would a code reader help me to make the decision I need?

If so, any thoughts on this reader would be appreciated.....

https://www.totaltools.com.au/automotive/mechanics-service-tools/diagnostic-tools/116232-foxwell-obd-port-code-reader-et2707

Thanks in advance.

I bought the following scanner on amazon and couldn’t be happier with its accuracy. Saved me numerous trips to the local garage for a variety of vehicles my family owns. Works well and is reasonably priced. It also gives you live data as you’re driving which is a nice feature when trying to troubleshoot.

SEEKONE OBD2 Scanner Professional... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SQZ45J?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are just wanting to pull codes, see data, etc., then the bluetooth adapter plus torque or other similar apps (I have the paid version of torque - torque pro or something like that - it costs $5) are really hard to beat. If I were buying an actual scan tool, I'd focus on one that is bidirectional (I think foxwell has some lower cost options).

I have an ELM327 adapter that looks identical to the one in the listing above (but there are lots of them that look like that) - they can be hit or miss, some versions work well, others not so good. I got lucky and mine works with my Legacy as well as other cars I have used it in (I've used it in Hondas, Toyotas and a Chrysler with no issues)

Archived