LegacyGT.com

AP v3 question

Go Etune, cheaper in most all cases. You have an AP3 now so you'll need a PC regardless to move maps to the car. As for the Cobb tunes they are all subjective to the mods you have or intend to do. Stock car. Sure they likely have a map for you.

Stock car here save for the axle back exhaust. I flashed the Cobb Stg 1 93 octane tune via my Fleabay AP3 and am happy with it. Is it a power house? Nope. Is it better on fuel? Not that I can tell.

It is my understanding that the stock tune is not good, as in can aid in the demise of our cars. While I have no proof of that, the factory botched a few things that lead me to believe the crappy tune talk could very well be valid.

Is a custom tune better? Always. The problem there, and I am quite familiar with it in the Mustang community, is that you are married to your tuner. Any and all changes require their attention. Some tuners are great and will work with you and then there are the others - out there to make a buck on every key stroke. I get it, their business.

Stock car here save for the axle back exhaust. I flashed the Cobb Stg 1 93 octane tune via my Fleabay AP3 and am happy with it. Is it a power house? Nope. Is it better on fuel? Not that I can tell.

It is my understanding that the stock tune is not good, as in can aid in the demise of our cars. While I have no proof of that, the factory botched a few things that lead me to believe the crappy tune talk could very well be valid.

Is a custom tune better? Always. The problem there, and I am quite familiar with it in the Mustang community, is that you are married to your tuner. Any and all changes require their attention. Some tuners are great and will work with you and then there are the others - out there to make a buck on every key stroke. I get it, their business.

I have a nameless axleback muffler delete s installed. Sounds wonderful. The APv3 for a stock set up is good then?

Yeah, I think the off the shelf tune works fine. I don't think the AP3 is a bad investment at all if you find a decent price on a used unit (I wouldn't have bought new). You can then get an E tune from your favorite tuner for a few hundred after you do some mods and make the car even better. When you are all done and ready to move on car wise, sell your go fast parts, flash your stock tune and sell the AP3 for what you paid for it. My $.02

Have you thought about getting the AP from Mike, TA, when you wanted to upgrade parts, ship the AP to him, have him load a new map for your upgraded parts. He can drop it in his mail box and the post man will get it back to you.

Or look at buying a used lap top for the updates. You don't need a new $1000 lap top.

But yes, the stage 1 map on AP is great, much better then stock. My wagon spent years on stage 1 starting back in Dec 2004 when the car had 8000 miles on it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...

Archived