LegacyGT.com

Fogs on with parking - an easier way?

I’ve done many searches, in many places. I saw a vid on YouTube where a WRX owner ran a jumper from his fog light to his parking light. This allowed fogs to come on with parking lights. Has anyone tried this? I imagine you could also power the fog relay with a source that is on with ignition, but if fogs are controlled through BCM/ECM, I imagine that method wouldn’t work. Question is, how do dogs know when lights are on?

Simply jumping power from the parking lights to the fog lights will not work. You short out the bulbs when the ignition is on since you will be double powering both lights running off the same wire.

You need a relay on the parking light power wire (connected to 12v constant, power wire to parking light, ground, and power out to fog lights) that is negated by the ignition switch. When the ignition is on, the bridge between the parking and fog lights is disabled to prevent a short/double power.

Another method is to do the same thing through the fog light switch in the cabin and the ECM. I contemplated doing the same thing but it’s not really worth it to me.

Thanks for the info. I guess in the end, it’s easier to run all new wiring, or just leave it the way it is. I don’t feel like messing with it much. Haha. No matter what you do, something else will be affected. Ie: I disabled the DRL’s, but then there is no approach lighting from the headlights. Give and take I guess.

Archived