LegacyGT.com

OVERHEATING - new everything

What typically causes a blockage in the radiator? W about 5-8k on it, id be surprised to find theres a blockage inside - but i know anything is possible.

Hence my question regarding mixing coolants.

I found out the hard way that green coolant does not play well with the factory coolants (Subaru blue, Toyota pink, etc). The effect is a coagulated sort of gel material that forms and eventually blocks various cooling passages.

^^^This can definitely happen. I bought a 2002 Dodge Caravan with rear heat and the PO had mixed the antifreeze. No heat in the rear and I pulled the lines and found jelly in the lines. Flushed them out and all of a sudden the rear heat worked.

I only run All makes, All models anti freeze in all my vehicles just for this. If you need to purchase while on the road, it's readily available and won't cause problems.

^^^This can definitely happen. I bought a 2002 Dodge Caravan with rear heat and the PO had mixed the antifreeze. No heat in the rear and I pulled the lines and found jelly in the lines. Flushed them out and all of a sudden the rear heat worked.

Made my mistake on a 2005 4Runner V8. Did a t-belt/ WP service and was absolutely oblivious to my error when I added green to pink. I saw the temp gauge nearly peg into the red several months later and so ensued a wild goose chase.

I thought a head gasket (which simply does not happen with the 2UZ engine family) until I figured out I could somewhat manage it by blasting the heat. It took me many months after that first instance to figure out what was going on due to the varying ways the symptom showed up. It was not until someone pointed out the differences of chemistry in the green coolant compared to the factory long life types that I began to realize the source of my issue.

Link to thread on T4R.org

Post 17 is the first mention of mixed coolants and yet I still managed to convince myself that it was a failed t-stat only to discover I was wrong even a couple months after replacing it.

• 4 weeks later...
Finallegacy...what kind of temps were you getting? I think I may have an overheat issue as well. Yesterday, I noticed as light haze coming from the hood opening. When I raised the hood, the top of the downpipe was smoking.

If top of your downpipe is smoking i would be thinking oil leaking from your turbo and burning off?

Temps stay normal on the dash gauge until water goes over 200°. Once it gets 205,210, dash gauge starts to climb. I get off of it before it goes up too much but I’ve seen 230 and that’s like three quarters up the gauge on the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived