LegacyGT.com

LED Tail light retrofit

Hey guys! New to the forum here but have been lurking around in posts since I bought my car about a year and a half ago. I currently have a 2007 Legacy GT 5EAT in DGM. Roughly 130k miles. The reason I'm posting today is I'm planning on tackling an LED retrofit into my taillights but I just need some confirmation/assistance from those more experienced.

Currently on our fourth gen legacy's we see three sections on the taillight. The top acts as our turn signal (we'll call this section 1), middle is our reverse light (section 2), and bottom doubles as our running light / brake light (section 3).

My goal here is two things:

1) to open the taillights and add three led strips vertically across the "section 3" portion, or what currently acts as our running/brake light. I want these to act as my running light, running at 100% power. No brake light will be used here.

2)I want to add 2 led strips to "section 3", keeping this as my turn signal and adding my brake light here. These will run at 100% power when applied (meaning full brightness on turn signal, full brightness when brakes applied to match running light).

My question for you guys: I know our bulbs are rated at 12V (or 13?), so i want to keep power output to all sections the same. For this I will add a 12V diode to both sections of the wiring (section 3, section 1) to limit power output and keep it going one direction (to the light). I assume I will need to add a rapid flash resistor to section 3 so my turn signals don't blink rapidly as we commonly see when people throw LEDS in. Is this correct or do I need more diodes/resistors?

Sorry if my language is confusing, I am trying to attach a picture to see if this helps everyone understand what I'm getting at, but having trouble uploading the file?

These are the parts I plan on getting:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZBUD0JW/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=concon218-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00ZBUD0JW&linkId=110778ca6d17ba4280fb0beba24c5f51

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072TXG6N8/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=concon218-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B072TXG6N8&linkId=91ce229f5f5e9a792df2b2e1e191f233

What rapid flash resistor would I need?

Thank you in advance!

That is bad ass. I'm definitely going to get one of those for my ride. Oh and finallegacy great idea for the LEDs.

Yea it’s a nice piece. $60 a little overboard for it but some cool features built into it. I also got their front switchbacks. Also a little pricey but really nice pieces that function flawlessly

Definitely looking forward to see some progress on the custom tails. Keep us updated

Before you get all excited, have you successfully opened the tail lights yet? You can’t bake them. They will need to be cut very very carefully and even then you’re likely to ruin the chrome and reflectors if you go too deep or at the wrong angle. I have a spare prefacelift tail light that I used for practice and failed. I also have a set of USDM tails for sale unmutilated.

What I did was get the JDM tails and wire the top and bottom sections to be the same and use the JDMs larger center section which has a dedicated turn signal and reverse.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry its taken me so long to respond. New to the site having some trouble navigating. NewEra I am very excited lol... but will do the work on an extra pair of taillights as not to mess anything up. Ive baked and done my headlights but I wasnt aware of not being able to do the tails the same way..

Regardless, money might have to be put towards other things as im having more issues. checkout my other post i am at a loss for words and need all the feedback i can get haha.

Sorry its taken me so long to respond. New to the site having some trouble navigating. NewEra I am very excited lol... but will do the work on an extra pair of taillights as not to mess anything up. Ive baked and done my headlights but I wasnt aware of not being able to do the tails the same way..

Regardless, money might have to be put towards other things as im having more issues. checkout my other post i am at a loss for words and need all the feedback i can get haha.

I saw the thread, I'm stumped too if its not the head gasket.

I tried dremmeling all around the tail light but I could not get it to separate. There are too many curves around the reflectors and chrome that I ended up cutting in the wrong places and just eventually gave up. I had 1 tail light completely torn up I would have given to you for a dollar and shipping fees but I recently threw it away. I do have a set of pristine OEM units for sale in the classifieds incase you mess up on yours though ;)

I've seen people do the red reflector deletes but not entirely sure how it was done but it probably involves the correct process to go about a retrofit.

Good luck with your other issue man.

Archived