LegacyGT.com

Remote Start and Security Alarm going off

I have a 2019 Subaru Legacy with factory installed remote start. When I use the key fob that came with the remote start to start the car, everytime I try to open the door with the both the regular key fob and the remote start key fob, the alarm goes off. Every single time. My wife is getting very very irritated at me:):)

Is there a certain procedure I have to do when I walk up the car to have this NOT happen anymore. I have the Subaru Sport with all the approach stuff, like lights in the outside mirrors etc. etc. So it recognizes I have the key fob on my body.

Please help as this is getting really really bad:):)

My 2015 Legacy Premium will do this unless I first use the unlock button on the key fob to unlock the doors, and so did my 2008 base model Forester w/o remote start. Edited by Cliff51
fix typos

I may of found out why it does this, but I have NOT tested it yet. The car may need to be locked first. I just always figured that the remote start locks the car when you remote start it. But if the car is unlocked, it may sound the alarm when the door is opened because it is unlocked. So I will test it out both locked and unlocked and see what happens. So when I remote start it with the remote Fob (the little black one) I may need to lock it first with the keyless fob (fob I use to start and unlock/lock the door...larger silver one). But when I remote start it with the keyless fob, the first button press to remote start locks the doors.

Well its not looking good. This morning I made sure to lock the Legacy with the keyless fob first before I used the remote start key fob. And the Alarm still went off. I will do more testing though. If anyone wants to chime in and let me know your experiences, that would be great. I called my Sales Rep at Subaru, and he said he has no idea what could be causing it and wants me to set up an Appointment with Service.

We have keyless and OEM remote start, and we don't do anything other than press the button on the exterior door handle to lock the car and go about our business. We then press the black remote start fob, remote confirms car has started, get to the car, open the door by just placing our hand behind the exterior door handle and the door opens. The car shuts off, no alarms. We get in, start it and go.

We have keyless and OEM remote start, and we don't do anything other than press the button on the exterior door handle to lock the car and go about our business. We then press the black remote start fob, remote confirms car has started, get to the car, open the door by just placing our hand behind the exterior door handle and the door opens. The car shuts off, no alarms. We get in, start it and go.

Same for me except I tend to lock the car with the lock button on the inside of the door just before I get out of the car. No issues with my OEM remote start (besides the annoyance that you need to restart the car after getting back in, but that is expected).

Thanks you guys. That is what we do too. We open the door. Get out. Lock the door from the inside door lock button and go about our business. In the morning, we use the black keyless Fob and BAM....horns waking everybody up.

Yep, something is wrong.

Good Morning,

I recently had the factory remote start system installed my 2015 Legacy and, assuming all things are equal, have not had this issue. My vehicle will not allow me to remote start without the doors being locked before hand. When approaching, I tend to grasp the door handle and enter the car that way without touching the fob.

The fact that the car turns off is a slight annoyance, but a small price to pay for it being warm (or cold) depending on where you live! I would be curious to see the results of this small test: when approaching the car, press and hold the button on your remote starter for a few seconds and turn the car off, then open the door. I would be willing to bet that the alarm wouldn’t go off. Since the car shuts off anyway when the door is opened, you wouldn’t be adding much “down time” between shutting off and turning on by using this method.

I would imagine this is not supposed to happen (as it seems silly especially if you have the fob) but it may not be worthwhile inconveniencing yourself to bring in for Subaru to diagnose it if the above suggestion works.

Regards,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tested it numerous times now and I think I understand what was happening. I don't understand why it was happening or why it would be programmed into it but anyway...

When I approach the door all the approach lights will illuminate. I figured this would sense that it recognized that I was a legitimate person opening the door. So I would reach out and open the door. But what I wasn't doing was allowing it to unlock in the correct fashion. I know it unlocks in the correct fashion when I of course here the door unlock BUT also when the lights flash. I know when the lights flash cause the side blinker built into the outside mirror will flash. When this happens I can open the door and the alarm not go off.

So what I do is approach the car and put my hand INTO (where my fingers are behind the door handle between the handle and car) the door handle to unlock the door. I have yet to determine IF I can do this by touching the touch sensor (3 little raised lines on the door handle). But when I put my hand INTO the door handle the car will unlock and I am able to open without the alarm going off.

So some questions I still have yet to get answered:

Should I be able to open the door while the car is remote started? And If I can, why would I be able to. Even though the alarm sounds, a thief could still take what he wants and run away. I will figure this out by just plain old observation. I will approach the car without the key fob and see what I can do with the car. But then the question is raised. If the car stays locked and I CANNOT open the door why.....

Would the car unlock when I approach the car with the Key Fob BUT the alarm still sound when I open the door?

I'm not sure I understand your post 100%, but maybe there's some confusion for you with the door handle itself. You unlock the door by placing your hand behind the handle. You lock the door by touching the 3 lines at the front of the handle. Were you getting the alarm to go off by touching the 3 lines when your car is remote started?

When I approach the door all the approach lights will illuminate. I figured this would sense that it recognized that I was a legitimate person opening the door. So I would reach out and open the door. But what I wasn't doing was allowing it to unlock in the correct fashion. I know it unlocks in the correct fashion when I of course here the door unlock BUT also when the lights flash. I know when the lights flash cause the side blinker built into the outside mirror will flash. When this happens I can open the door and the alarm not go off.

So what I do is approach the car and put my hand INTO (where my fingers are behind the door handle between the handle and car) the door handle to unlock the door. I have yet to determine IF I can do this by touching the touch sensor (3 little raised lines on the door handle). But when I put my hand INTO the door handle the car will unlock and I am able to open without the alarm going off.

Should I be able to open the door while the car is remote started? And If I can, why would I be able to. Even though the alarm sounds, a thief could still take what he wants and run away. I will figure this out by just plain old observation. I will approach the car without the key fob and see what I can do with the car. But then the question is raised. If the car stays locked and I CANNOT open the door why.....

Would the car unlock when I approach the car with the Key Fob BUT the alarm still sound when I open the door?

Don't fully follow your thought process.

1. The car should start weather its locked/armed or not; as long as the hood and all doors are closed and shift lever is in P.

2. The lock button on the inside door won't lock the car if the door is open and the key fob is detected. (because it basically thinks you'll lock the key inside and unlock right away)

The only time I've had the alarm go off is when I open the trunk without unlocking the door first. Don't know if that because of the setting to not unlock doors with the trunk switch.

If you are leaving the window open and locking it through the inside button that way and then opening the door by the inside handle; that won't disarm the alarm and I can see why the alarm would go off...

Edited by tornichoe

We have a 2018 Limited and a 2015 Limited. We have had lots of alarm problems in the 2018, just inconsistent behavior over time. Will grant you we often have both fobs on hand in the car for whatever reason so can confuse the chip... but most recently when things had been stable for a while, we had the head unit reflashed on recall, and since then alarm is going off all the time. We just manually disabled it and called it a day.

• 4 months later...
Hi, I'm a new member and signed up today. In my new member introduction I included some info about my experiences with my 2019 Legacy Limited and erratic remote start behavior with the regular key fob. I went back and re-read the reverse side of the quick start guide I received when I had the factory remote installed a couple weeks ago. It says to unlock the car with the unlock button the fob before entering. Have yet to try it but have had various results as you have had without doing that first and has been a mystery. I'm thinking this will stop the alarm trigger problem and the engine will shut off when I open the door as I normally would with the handle as the user guide says. We'll see....and will report back after several test remote starts.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I'm not sure if this the correct way to continue my post as I am new to forums but I have tested the remote start 5-6 times with the regular key fob by pressing the unlock button before even touching the door handle and have had no issues with horn/lights triggering. I did try one more time to open drivers door w/out first unlocking doors and horn and lights were activated. Not sure why when at dealership I was able to open car door and no horn/lights activation but engine did shut off as expected. I'll just keep unlocking vehicle before entering and live with it. Not that big of deal actually. I have no experience with the little black "long range" remote fob so cannot comment on that. Otherwise satisfied with the 19" legacy limited. :)

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue as OP, only with my 2018 Outback. Couldn't find many forum posts on this issue at all, so here I am.

2018 Outback

Factory Installed 2-Way Remote Start (with it's own FOB)

Keyless Entry

If I remote start the vehicle, then go to get in, it often sets off the alarm.

Why not just click the Unlock button on my FOB? Usually I tuck the key in my inside pocket of my coat - it's remote start, so why not. But at 8am and the alarm is going off, I need to quickly get to the keys to silence it.

I even recall a case when it was locked and started, and my son opened the door. He had no key, yet the door still opened and the alarm sounded.

It sounds like OP suggests to grab the handle, but not pull it right away. Wait until you see and hear it open. I believe I've tried that to no avail.

Would be good to know if anyone has solved this.

• 10 months later...
I have tested it numerous times now and I think I understand what was happening. I don't understand why it was happening or why it would be programmed into it but anyway...

I have the same issue as OP, only with my 2018 Outback. Couldn't find many forum posts on this issue at all, so here I am.

2018 Outback

Factory Installed 2-Way Remote Start (with it's own FOB)

Keyless Entry

If I remote start the vehicle, then go to get in, it often sets off the alarm.

Why not just click the Unlock button on my FOB? Usually I tuck the key in my inside pocket of my coat - it's remote start, so why not. But at 8am and the alarm is going off, I need to quickly get to the keys to silence it.

I even recall a case when it was locked and started, and my son opened the door. He had no key, yet the door still opened and the alarm sounded.

It sounds like OP suggests to grab the handle, but not pull it right away. Wait until you see and hear it open. I believe I've tried that to no avail.

Would be good to know if anyone has solved this.

I'm having the same problem as the rest of you with my 2019 Legacy. Going to the dealership that installed the remote start system to see if they can figure it out.

A couple things that weren’t mentioned in this thread by others:

-The alarm will only go off if the doors were originally locked from the inside (which I do by habit) and then not relocked by another means.

-In addition to the alarm problem; if the doors were originally locked from the inside, the doors will also unlock when remote started. This may be the cause for the alarm.

To get around this on cold mornings, I put my hand behind the door handle to unlock…and if it doesn’t unlock, I know the alarm is going to go off if I try to get in. I then use the 3 lines on the handle to lock the door, then unlock it again by putting my hand behind the handle.