LegacyGT.com

Stop Start Technology...the future

I have tried this and it does not always work. It works pretty consistent when the steering wheel is turned to the left. What a pain in the but this is.

Just give us the option to keep are settings.

Should be easy enough for them to do in a simple update, but will they, that's the question.[emoji849]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify. There is no dedicated button on my 2020 legacy (like in Crosstrek and Forester) to turn this thing off. I have to make four (!) clicks on this huge display: car settings - other - off - home just to disable this luxury until next engine start.

Advices I've heard so far: keep the steering off the center, don't push the brake hard, drive with rear window heater on...

Really looking forward to some trick or hack that would allow me to drive the way I used to.

• 2 weeks later...

From the email I received:

I'm writing to let you know that the Autostop Eliminator for the Subaru Outback is now available for pre-order. We have a video on the product page detailing the installation process and function of the device.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/products/2020-subaru-outback-autostop-eliminator

We're still working to get a lead time on the connectors needed for the device. Once we have an ETA on the connectors, we'll update the product page with an estimated ship date.

Please help your fellow Outback owners find us by spreading the word on the forums and other forms of social media.

I'm writing to let you know that the Autostop Eliminator for the Subaru Outback is now available for pre-order. We have a video on the product page detailing the installation process and function of the device.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/products/2020-subaru-outback-autostop-eliminator

We're still working to get a lead time on the connectors needed for the device. Once we have an ETA on the connectors, we'll update the product page with an estimated ship date.

Please help your fellow Outback owners find us by spreading the word on the forums and other forms of social media.

Would this work on the Legacy too?

I have asked them whether it's good for Legacy and the answer was: "I'm confident it'll work perfectly on the Legacy. In fact, I planned to add a listing for the Legacy on our website soon (for the same product)." Edited by Pinchroller

I just ordered one and will let you know if it works on the Legacy. They say it should and by all means the Legacy and Outback should be the same.

I knew it was only a matter of time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That site says:

"While our device connects to the stereo camera on the EyeSight system, we do not hack the vehicle to make our device work."

Whew! I would surely be uncomfortable with attaching ANYTHING to the EyeSight system wiring. Lots of potential for screwing up a critically important safety system.

That site says:

"While our device connects to the stereo camera on the EyeSight system, we do not hack the vehicle to make our device work."

Whew! I would surely be uncomfortable with attaching ANYTHING to the EyeSight system wiring. Lots of potential for screwing up a critically important safety system.

Exactly! Especially since 2 taps and you turn the function off. Without risking damage or invalidating your warranty. Seems like a no brainer to me. I wish that it would remain off after restarting the car but unless you’re making a lot of short trips and stops 2 taps isn’t that onerous. Takes about as much time as pulling your seatbelt out and buckling it.

Somebody mentioned that in the current dealer software update the Stop/Start control has

been moved to the first level of the Setting screens next to the AVH control. I hope that's true, that will make my startup routine a little easier.

Somebody mentioned that in the current dealer software update the Stop/Start control has

been moved to the first level of the Setting screens next to the AVH control. I hope that's true, that will make my startup routine a little easier.

Somebody?

I agree that if a person does not feel confident even if the procedure is described in detail and is clearly shown in the video, then he is better off staying away from such modifications.

My point of view is different. Firstly, “two clicks” is only for 504 firmware, and for 503 - three clicks. Secondly, you didn’t buy a car with such a large screen to keep it in "car settings" mode while driving. So you always need at least one - two clicks more to get to Home screen (or phone, or music, etc.) Thirdly, these are not just two clicks, but these actions should be performed every time you start the car. And yesterday I forgot to do it, and at the traffic light this thing for some reason did not turn on. But when the green light came on, my car first died out, and then it immediately started up and drove off. In my opinion this is clearly safety issue. I do not like this feature. Why do they impose on me what I do not like? I want this to work as cruise control: you turn it on when you need it.

I want this to work as cruise control: you turn it on when you need it.

I agree with you but once the software is updated it’s more convenient to access the control so will be less of an issue for me. However if they had just implemented a time delay, such as if the car was stopped for 30 seconds or longer it would kick in, I would just leave it on. There are many occasions in heavy traffic in backups or long stoplights that I turn the engine off myself so this function would do what I would probably do myself and I would appreciate the convenience. However shutting the engine down at stop signs or when pulling into a parking space and then restarting again is silly. If they can’t give us a button to turn it off completely - through restarts as you want - then alter the programming for longer intervals.

i emailed that auto start stop company and asked w/o giving away their secret could they tell me how the unit operates and doesn't affect other safety features. clearly it is intercepting a signal. one has to ask themselves, what else is it doing?

i suspect they isolated the line the start/stop signal is sent on and on startup it re-sends the last signal stored.

but like the 08 DRL "hack" sure your DRL were disabled, but you also lost your high beam indicator. who knows what else is lost. do you really want to figure out by your collision avoidance not working when you need it? there is no way they can test all the functionality to ensure they don't screw anything else up.

man i wish we could re-flash the ECU.

so I emailed them asking how their device works. below is the response I got. i was correct in my assumptions. you are basically getting a capacitor that stores the last signal received and transmits it again the next time you start the vehicle.

Our device really has nothing to do with the stereo camera. It's just a place to connect to the bus. (If you're interested, research CAN bus.)

It's a digital circuit, and our device sends a signal your vehicle is designed to receive to turn auto start/stop off. There are no hacks or gimmicks at play to cause side-effects. It's all very straightforward.

Thanks, but we don't need testers for the Legacy. The Outback device we have will work fine, we just haven't had time to add the Legacy to the website.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/subaru/products/2020-subaru-outback-autostop-eliminator

Travis Lambert

TRL Automotive

Edited by bms231

Somebody?

Page 3 of this thread by a poster named "laufu". If this control is moved to the main settings screen then I'll be satisfied because I have to go there to turn on AVH anyway. What I really want is EVERY setting to stay the way I want it. It's my damn car.

Edited by leechap

Page 3 of this thread by a poster named "laufu". If this control is moved to the main settings screen then I'll be satisfied because I have to go there to turn on AVH anyway. What I really want is EVERY setting to stay the way I want it. It's my damn car.

It’s moved to where you only have to do 2 taps. On the Home screen at the bottom tap the car icon and the very next screen it’s right there to turn on or off.

I have to say from being in my wife’s Onyx XT Outback and seeing how this feature was working I had every intention of turning it off as soon as I got my new Legacy and keep turning it off every time. However whether it’s because of the new software that mine came with or the way I drive it has not been an issue. Over 3 or 4 days it’s only kicked in 3 or 4 times. All were appropriate where I was stopped for a reasonable period before it kicked in. I have not had it kick in at any stop signs or when I’ve pulled into a parking space.

So for now I’m leaving it alone. It may have been my wife’s driving habits that made this so aggravating. But for now I’m ok, I’ll see how this plays out over time. I may change my mind later on and if so it is now easier to turn it off.