LegacyGT.com

Corroded brake lines

wagon4me

Brake pedal went to the floor and I found fluid leaking under pressure just forward of the RR wheel of my '05 2.5GT wagon. The leak is where the rear brake lines run along the inner edge of the RR frame rail alongside the fuel tank. A splice repair is almost impossible and probably futile here because so much corrosion will inevitably cause more failures, likely sooner rather than later.

My problem is I can't find the brake line routing to consider home repair. The local dealership service facility tells me the lines run on the interior under the carpet for most of the way.

Can anybody advise? If undercarriage corrosion caused the problem but the interior is dry will all of those interior hard lines be suspect to corrosion also? If I paid a repair shop to replace all of the hard lines what kind of $ should I be prepared to pay? Dealership guesstimated $1,500-$2,000 without seeing the car FWIW.

Search the 4th Gen Forum. There are post there about the recall for this.

Subaru replaced all my brake lines I think it was Nov 2016 on my 05 without question. Others have had issues getting it done.

Yes the lines do go under the front seats. It's like a 9 hour job.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A recall is a recall, shall not expire. That said, there was a "fix" with some anti-corrosion stuff the dealers were to apply. Some people likely never had an issue (non salt belters) while others had issues even after the "fix" and got dealerships to replace the lines, like Max. Some likely had a tough time getting the dealers to take responsibility and paid for a repair out of pocket, which is bs. Let us know what happens.

I checked open recall database... nothing open on the VIN.

Picked up car from repair facility in CLT, NC yesterday. Car seems to be OK and repairs are neatly done. 122K miles so overdue on timing belt change. Had that completed while there. Total cost was ~ $900 on timing kit including new water pump and ~ $600 on new rear brake lines. RR is OEM, LR is custom fabbed to avoid having to drop rear cradle/fuel tank. Only the line to the LR was leaking but I requested RR line replacement too due to excessive corrosion.

Repair facility suggested that brake line recall repair had been completed but looked as if the hangers for the lines were not coated with a spray on weather seal protectant that was suggested by the recall notice to be used. IDK 'bout all that... I'm just going off of 2nd & 3rd hand information.

Will get some pics this weekend.

I just had all my calipers replaced with new ss braided lines, and when the tech went to pull the passenger rear line off, the solid line broke off. Yep, corroded alright. They spliced in a new line. Phew, dodged a bullet there!

Archived