LegacyGT.com

Saab 9-5 Sedan vs Legacy GT

I just cant see how Saab can justify selling a slower, uglier, less styly interior and completely underpowered vehicle for 36k+ when the legacy can be had for 27k. Yes this was a random post but i was bored checking out saab's site and was :icon_surp at how crappy and overpriced that car is compared to the Legacy GT.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Saab is a joke at this point. I dont know if they had it up on the website yet, but they restyled the 9-5 and it is coming out soon.

The one interesting car they make and might be a worthy alternative is that new 9-3 combi wagon. 250hp v6, but no AWD...

Well the 9-3 is based on the epsilon platform.. which means under it all its the same basic guts as the below cars * 2003 Opel Vectra * 2003 Saab 9-3 * 2004 Chevrolet Malibu * 2004 Opel Signum * 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx * 2005 Pontiac G6 * 2005 Fiat Croma * 2007 Saturn Aura I dont know if i could sleep at night knowing i spent 36k on a car that has parts that could have gone into a Malibu :)
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Well the 9-3 is based on the epsilon platform... * 2004 Chevrolet Malibu *...* 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx *... I dont know if i could sleep at night knowing i spent 36k on a car that has parts that could have gone into a Malibu :)

...actually, after having the Malibu in sedan and the "Maxx" versions as rentals for at least two weeks each; they're suprisingly good cars. If the Malibu Maxx SS would come with a manual transmission I would consiter it for as a possible replacement if, god forbid, my LGT were to be totaled (I always have a list of "contingancy" cars). The V6 is a little noisy, but still much less than an LGT with the intake silencer removed. They've got a good amount of grunt, and the auto-box is geared pretty well. The interior apointments are about on par with a WRX, not great, but servicable. I'm not a fan of the rear seat skylight, but then again I hate all skylights. Give the Malibu Maxx a good working over, with more performance, nicer interior, and get over your aversion to GM and the Saturn AURA Redline (*inside line*) cars will be very good alternatives to our LGT limiteds and Audi S4's. GM's Epsilon platform is a very good platform. People, just have to be less of "domestic cars are crap" snobs to see the cars for what they are.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

SAAB or SAABARU as they are still selling the current WRX engine, are not a bad car at all. They go well, look good but can be expensive to maintain. Lots to be said about the GT when being compared against some of the European Greats.

Ada///M.

I'm surprised they just didn't use the AWD technology from the 9-2X and put it in their other models.

Its because the 9-2x is a wrx with a body kit, even the interior is the same

The new platform coming out in the next few years is supposed to be adaptable for FWD+RWD+AWD

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I have driven a 04 SAAB 9-5 Aero with an ECU Upgrade about 325(crank) HP. It was a nice car...Air conditioned seats were my favorite:)The resale value is a joke, the car I was looking @ had less than 5k miles on it, sold new for over 40k & I could have purchased it for the same price as the Leggy.

Main reason I went with the 05GT....Cost of ownership, the SAAB was astronomical:(

I have never looked back:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

^ but can get expensive to maintain. Thats the real reason i think. My father used to have an audi and vowed never again. It wasn't so much the parts, but more the labor for the jobs. Everything was big labor. Maybe a $60 part, but 3-4 hours to replace it. Engine sensors, things like that, electrical really.

They do make beautiful cars though, either way.

As for the Saab. Some stuff i have seen on them i like. Pretty good lines IMO. Neat keys, but big. One of my friends has an 02 9-3. Its nice. One thing i can't stand on them sometimes though is the electronics. Everything in the car just had a wierd feel to it. I didn't like the organization of it all and sometimes it felt like it had too many buttons around. I did not really like how everything was angled at the driver either. It seemed so old fashioned to me.

I'm surprised they just didn't use the AWD technology from the 9-2X and put it in their other models.

The AWD technology from the 9-2X is SUBARU. It is a WRX (with Fugi Heavy industrues stamped under the hood) with SAAB clading. Also, during the GM employee discounts this past summer, they couldn't touch the price of the LGT . . . I checked it out.

Completely overpriced. Nice car. Would've gotten it for the right price.

Completely overpriced. Nice car. Would've gotten it for the right price.

the 9-2x?

I saw ridiculous prices at least around here on those not too long ago. Begining of summer. We're talking at most 20k for the 9-2x, with leather. Certainly a good chunck cheaper than the rex wagon. That was with GM discount i believe. They weren't selling prior.

the 9-2x?

I saw ridiculous prices at least around here on those not too long ago. Begining of summer. We're talking at most 20k for the 9-2x, with leather. Certainly a good chunck cheaper than the rex wagon. That was with GM discount i believe. They weren't selling prior.

True dat. I bought a 9-2X instead of the Legacy for this reason. It was $2k less than the cheapest WRX I could find.

And, I'm a bit disappointed in the Saab-bashing here. While they are funky cars, they are neat to drive and can be very fast. Tons of useful, smooth, quiet, power. I'd prefer a 2.3 liter Saab Turbo over my 2.0 boxer.

the powerplant on the 9-5 is nasty...in a good way...top gear did a spot on it and at some interval in the high up mile per hour range it has more pulling power than a 911.

The killers for me are:

Front wheel drive/understeer/torque steer

Dated styling

black plastic interior.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sawthe new 9-5 at the boston auto show the other day. Looks like they put stupid looking headlights on it, and used different materials in the same ol places on the dash and thats about it. I hate Saabs with a burning passion (used to sell them) so I could not even bring myself to look any further at the 9-5, that was all i noticed in my quick glance at the car right before my eyes began to bleed.

All just my opinion though :)

As far as factual info goes my biggest grip would probably be electrical reliability of the +2003 9-3's. That and the no longer used 6 cylinder they had in the 9-5's a couple years ago. We would regularly get in brand new cars that needed major engine work right off the truck.

the 92x Aero is a nice step up from the wrx model. the car has been massaged in the suspension department. allows for better stability high speed, includes the STi aluminium control arms and the STi quick ratio steering rack. Also it has better sound insulation. It also comes with 17" summer RE010 (ala STi) tires. Personally with the GM employee discount, these 92Xs are a real bargain! They also look nicer than the subaru counterpart.

The new 9-5 commercials are awesome. If I was just average-joe American, and not a self-proclaimed car nut I would probably fall for the sharp looks and "fighter jet inspired" tag line of the 9-5 Aero.

Thankfully I know that GM merely took a Chevy Malibu and stuck the iginition switch between the seats. Every time I see the ad run, I can't help but think "Malibu inspired" ...and for 35 grand??! Pahleaseee GM -nice try.

My leggy will easily run circles around your "fighter jet inspired" bread box. Now if only Subaru could come up with a commercial as racey and attention grabbing as the 9-5's...

The new 9-5 commercials are awesome. If I was just average-joe American, and not a self-proclaimed car nut I would probably fall for the sharp looks and "fighter jet inspired" tag line of the 9-5 Aero.

Thankfully I know that GM merely took a Chevy Malibu and stuck the iginition switch between the seats. Every time I see the ad run, I can't help but think "Malibu inspired" ...and for 35 grand??! Pahleaseee GM -nice try.

My leggy will easily run circles around your "fighter jet inspired" bread box. Now if only Subaru could come up with a commercial as racey and attention grabbing as the 9-5's...

You're gettinig the 9-5 and the 9-3 confused, the 9-5 is still the last "true saab" It's the last Saab that isnt based on a shared GM platform, the 9-5 is based off the epsilon platform, the 9-7x is a chevy trailblazer and the 9-2x is a wrx :)

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2006/Saab/100660480/20030123-E.jpg

look at me, im a fighter jet ;)

Archived