LegacyGT.com

No start on short runs

I have a 96 with a 2.2l. When it is cold outside the car starts normally but if I have to shut it off for some reason before it gets fully warmed up it will not restart. If it fully warms up or during warm days I do not have this problem. The check engine light is not on and does not come on during the no start condition. Any thoughts?

I've never had this happen with a car but I'm guessing it's an issue with the cold start/closed cycle. When the engine is cold, it runs rich and does a few other things to help it warm up faster and it sounds like something is wrong with that process. When you restart it, it isn't engaging the cold start cycle and then struggles to run or won't run. I'd probably start with inspecting the normal serviceable parts such as spark plugs, fuel flow and filter etc

Yes, and if you can manage to get a live data OBDII tool you can watch for what sensors are reading different between working and not. That won't necessarily tell you about bad sensors, but it will help you know why the computer is confused. e.g. I did O2 sensors once because they were reading very lean all the time and it was running very rich. The sensors were not broken, they were reading the air leaking into the exhaust at the manifold gaskets. Once I fixed that everything was fine.

What's happening when it''s not starting? Cranks and stumbles? No clicking? Lots of clicking? Is it getting fuel or spark when you try to start it? Can you check to see if the coolant temp sensor is working? Last time you changed spark plugs/Wires? All things you need to answer before going further.

Archived