LegacyGT.com

2015 2.5i Oil Consumption

either way the new battery has been working fine...

just put another quart of 0w-20 in today right around 250 miles...i think i have 1 or 2 quarts left to finish before my oil change when i plan to up the oil weight...i wish i remembered when this oil consumption issue began with my car...my mother has a 2011 outback with a 2.5 and i am not aware of any oil consumption issues...at the same time she has less mileage, uses non-synthetic oil and goes about 4k miles between oil changes...if i try 10w-40 and it doesn't slow the consumption do i try 20w-50 or do i try non-synthetic next?

In all honesty it sounds like time for a rebuild.  Your oil consumption is more than excessive.  If you have to run 20w 50 just to slow it down then your kidding yourself about not needing an engine.  We used to tell customers to run 20w50 for the drive to carmax to sell it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, m sprank said:

In all honesty it sounds like time for a rebuild.  Your oil consumption is more than excessive.  If you have to run 20w 50 just to slow it down then your kidding yourself about not needing an engine.  We used to tell customers to run 20w50 for the drive to carmax to sell it. 

i don't doubt it but i won't be paying for one for a car with 216k on the clock...it will more likely get traded in before i get it rebuilt

on top of that i think the last carmax offer i got for this car was $800 so it's worth more to me at this point due to how much money i just sunk into it so i'm going to try to keep running it till it pisses me off too much

Edited by Point37

They want newer cars at this point.  Private party will get you the most, but comes with more work and headache.  I understand as I have driven a few into the ground and watched them leave to a recycler on a trailer myself. 

• Like 1

yea cause they want to resell them...this car will probably go to a scrap yard for parts or an auction...they won't be selling it...i've sold 2 cars, 2 trucks and 5 motorcycles over the years all privately...in MA if they pass inspection, a buyer can't come back with the lemon law and try to return it...this car will pass inspection...but the oil consumption is an issue and i don't hide things when i sell items privately...i would list this issue in the ad...so i won't get much for an outright sale for a car that needs and engine rebuild...i have no problem trading it in and not telling a car dealer about that issue though...i guess i have a few options to unload the car and try to get as much money as i can with as little headache as possible...if you know of any others please let me know...

1 private party mechanic special

2 carmax (or another similar company)

3 recycler (never done this option before so not sure who is good to deal with)

4 car dealer trade in

also thank you and everyone else that has helped me with this along the way...much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Oil change done with 10w-40…we’ll see how it goes…first time using my rhino ramps…so much faster than a jack and jack stands…low oil light turned on after I finished the oil change…had to reset it by moving the fuse…

Going to see how it goes with the heavier oil but has anyone ever used Lucas oil stabilizer?…looks like it thickens the oil and is supposed to help with oil consumption 

Got to 325 miles instead 250 miles before adding a quart…negligible deference…time for a new car…got a never installed new set of white lines control arms that I can’t return…wonder if I should pull the struts out before trading in or selling…doubt anyone will want to buy it when they read the ad

18 hours ago, m sprank said:

Heavier weight oil is usually a band aid to get you past a visual inspection when trading in/selling.  Nothing will cure the issue other than a rebuild. 

any idea what a rebuild would cost?...i assume the cost for a rebuild is probably not cost effective at this mileage...so i'm planning on looking for a new car...i am going to put this car up for sale for a little while (when i have time to clean it up and take photos)...i will be listing all it's issues in the ad...if i get no takers i'll trade it in with the purchase of my new car...it will pass inspection but i assume oil consumption will be dictated by usage...i drive mostly highway at 80mph...if someone is only driving around town and not going far or at lower speeds and doesn't mind checking the oil it would probably be fine to run as is for a cheap car...or someone that wants to rebuild it...if i get no takers i'll trade it in with the purchase of a new car...the kbb private party range is $3.6k to $5.6k...not even sure what i should ask for it with this issue...thanks for all your help!

7 minutes ago, m sprank said:

If paying a shop and having the job done properly the cost would exceed the value of the car (KBB). 

thanks...this is what i figured...time to move on

Edited by Point37

• 1 month later...

haven't had time to go car shopping...subaru dealers around here have crazy markups...subaru is really the only company making somewhat of a wagon with the outback...been dumping a quart of 20w-50 into it once a week now...up to 220k miles...getting annoying but still easier than having to go car shopping lol...below is the list of cars i am considering...mostly the ones with the * due to better reliability

sedans
*-mazda 6 touring (memory seat available on grand touring reserve and up, discontinued for 2022)
*-toyota camry xle (no seat memory)
*-honda accord (no leather or memory seat unless hybrid ex-l)
-kia k5
-Hyundai sonata hybrid
*-honda civic hatch ex-l or sedan touring (2022+)

everything else
*-buick tourx discontinued
*-acura tsx sportwagon discontinued
-toyota venza (2015 discontinued old wagon style)
-hyundai Tucson hybrid
-hyundai Santa Fe hybrid
-kia sorento hybrid (3 row)
-kia sportage hybrid (2023+)
*-honda crv ex-l
*-toyota rav 4 xle premium + weather package
-mazda 3 hatchback
*-honda element discontinued
*-toyota prius v discontinued
*-mazda cx-50 premium plus or turbo
*-mazda cx-5 2.5s preferred or carbon

21 hours ago, Point37 said:

haven't had time to go car shopping...subaru dealers around here have crazy markups...subaru is really the only company making somewhat of a wagon with the outback...been dumping a quart of 20w-50 into it once a week now...up to 220k miles...getting annoying but still easier than having to go car shopping lol...below is the list of cars i am considering...mostly the ones with the * due to better reliability

sedans
*-mazda 6 touring (memory seat available on grand touring reserve and up, discontinued for 2022)
-kia k5
-Hyundai sonata hybrid

everything else
*-buick tourx discontinued
*-acura tsx sportwagon discontinued
-hyundai Tucson hybrid
-hyundai Santa Fe hybrid
*-honda crv ex-l
-mazda 3 hatchback
*-honda element discontinued
*-toyota prius v discontinued

OP,

Did you ever change the PCV Valve on the car?  Just had this issue on my wife's daily with severe oil consumption issues. Changed out the PCV and it solved the issue.

As far as going to a 50 weight oil I would strongly advise against that.  I would go to a 10/40 max.  You could probably even get away with 5/40 M1.

As far as your choice in cars you are looking for.

Just some advice.  The Camry and the Rav are boring plain cars to drive. Great reliability but boring.   The Mazda 6 is a great car and no complaints.  The CX50 is small so sit and drive it before considering it at all. The CX5 is nice.  Any Honda 4 cylinder are great e gines and can't go wrong. Just remember with any Acura/Honda product the sox cylinders have a belt not a chain so plan on another 800 dollar expense to change it. The dealers will always pull the paperwork and Carfax won't prove the changeout.  

Here's another recommendation not on your list. Honda Crosstour EXL V6 4WD. They are rarer like the Venza V6s.  

Honestly I daily a 8th gen Civic with 250K. Bought it brand new in 2006.  Only thing major I have needed to do is change out the Alternator and Starter. Besides tires and brakes etc..

As far as used prices yes they are high.  But in my area I have seen for example 2019 3.6Rs with under 40k going for 19k at a dealer.  However as we all know Leggys don't sell as well as Outbacks and Outbacks are what sells in my area.

But try replacing that PCV and see if the consumption goes away. As I stated it did in my wife's daily.

LOL.  Thread is from 2019.  @Point37 is not the OP.  However, a new PCV was installed during the attempt to troubleshoot/resolve the issue without condemning the engine.  20w50 oil is being used in an attempt to keep the engine lubricated while it eats through the heavier oil.  This is only recommended on engines with "one foot in the grave". 

On 6/6/2023 at 5:31 PM, m sprank said:

Bad ass wagons still exist.  You just have to PAY.

2022-porsche-taycan-cross-turismo-10-1633734868.jpg

2022-volvo-v90-cross-country-mmp-1-1634579249.jpg

2023-volvo-v60-cross-country-b5-awd-116-edit-1667314365.jpg

2021-mercedes-benz-e450-4matic-all-terrain-360-1604524549.jpg

2021-mercedes-amg-e63-s-wagon-105-1604268168.jpg

2022-audi-rs6-avant-mmp-1-1620073915.jpg

2020-audi-a6-allroad-vs-beaver-island-211-1596464863.jpg

i should have stated that subaru is the only one making a reliable wagon...there def are some nice ones out there but they are too expensive for my needs and not something i would want to own or repair and def not out of the warranty period...i wouldn't consider anything from vw/audi, bmw, volvo, mercedes, porche or other luxury brands...a car is the worst investment but it's a necessity so cost and reliability is at the top of my list

On 6/7/2023 at 2:28 PM, MoleMan said:

OP,

Did you ever change the PCV Valve on the car?  Just had this issue on my wife's daily with severe oil consumption issues. Changed out the PCV and it solved the issue.

As far as going to a 50 weight oil I would strongly advise against that.  I would go to a 10/40 max.  You could probably even get away with 5/40 M1.

As far as your choice in cars you are looking for.

Just some advice.  The Camry and the Rav are boring plain cars to drive. Great reliability but boring.   The Mazda 6 is a great car and no complaints.  The CX50 is small so sit and drive it before considering it at all. The CX5 is nice.  Any Honda 4 cylinder are great e gines and can't go wrong. Just remember with any Acura/Honda product the sox cylinders have a belt not a chain so plan on another 800 dollar expense to change it. The dealers will always pull the paperwork and Carfax won't prove the changeout.  

Here's another recommendation not on your list. Honda Crosstour EXL V6 4WD. They are rarer like the Venza V6s.  

Honestly I daily a 8th gen Civic with 250K. Bought it brand new in 2006.  Only thing major I have needed to do is change out the Alternator and Starter. Besides tires and brakes etc..

As far as used prices yes they are high.  But in my area I have seen for example 2019 3.6Rs with under 40k going for 19k at a dealer.  However as we all know Leggys don't sell as well as Outbacks and Outbacks are what sells in my area.

But try replacing that PCV and see if the consumption goes away. As I stated it did in my wife's daily.

PCV was changed...did nothing for consumption

too late on the 20w-50...i've been mixing oils in this car for a little while now...i just did an oil change with 10w-40...bought a few quarts of 20w-50 that i have been dumping in as the oil is consumed...and then i found a new 5qt jug of 0w-20 hiding in my garage so i have also been adding that as oil is consumed...then i will probably buy a few bottles of 10w-40 and few of 20w-50 after i finish all the 0w-20 to keep in the trunk for when i need to add oil

i agree about the camry and rav but reliability is at the top of my list...i don't need it to be exciting...i need it to run...my legacy is/was never exciting to drive either...i just don't want to have to fix whatever i buy very often...i had an 05 mazda 6 which ran into 240k so i would not hesitate to buy another if i want to take a side step cargo capacity (which i am trying to increase with a new car)...i think the cx50 is off my list...too expensive for a minor bump in cargo capacity over the cx5...the cx5 is nice but also small in the trunk...probably smaller than my legacy...my thing is i want more cargo floor area, not volume...the cx5 volume is more than my legacy but that is vertically cause the trunk is so shallow...i don't want to stack stuff up in the trunk which is why i would really like a wagon...low to the ground for my older dogs and more cargo floor area...good to know about the honda belt, thanks...i'm also trying to stay away from cvt transmissions in case of replacement costs which is why i'm leaning towards toyota

thanks...i'll add the crosstour to my list...the trunk looks pretty nice...the gas mileage isn't great though and they weren't around for very long

i also had an 87 civic and a 99 civic so i would not hesitate to buy another but they are not going to up my cargo room...those are at the bottom of my list

used car prices are crazy right now which is why i am keeping an eye out and plan to keep driving the legacy...highly doubt i will be able to get into a new outback...wife just got a new 22 telluride sx so i doubt i will be able to stretch the legacy until we are out of the payments to buy a new car for myself

On 6/7/2023 at 4:55 PM, m sprank said:

LOL.  Thread is from 2019.  @Point37 is not the OP.  However, a new PCV was installed during the attempt to troubleshoot/resolve the issue without condemning the engine.  20w50 oil is being used in an attempt to keep the engine lubricated while it eats through the heavier oil.  This is only recommended on engines with "one foot in the grave". 

yea i kind of threadjacked the OP...figured it was better than creating a new thread...based on car prices i may just drive it till it dies

Edited by Point37
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

222k now...going to let it roll for now...not interested in spending too much on an overpriced new or used car and have a prolonged overlap of payments for 2 cars...got the wife's car in 9/2021...4+ more years of payments left on it...unless i see a really good deal on something used

• 3 months later...

well i'm just about at 228k...car is getting a little harder to start on the cold mornings but that may be due to using heavier oil in it to slow consumption...the highest i've gone is 10w-40...trying to dial back to thinner oil for the winter...the hard to start mornings may also have something to do with the aftermarket catalytic converter which was installed earlier this year...my exhaust tip is now black as well as my bumper

in the meantime i have started my car shopping process in case something should happen...leaning towards toyota, honda and mazda...but the outback is what i really want but i also don't want to deal with this oil consumption issue again down the line like i am now...not many wagons available to buy by reliable companies new now so i'm looking at crossovers too...hyundai and kia have come a long way but i don't trust them long term...will have to see how my wife's telluride does over time...i wish weathertech would tell you the surface area of their cargo trays so i could gauge the trunk sizes on these cars better than with volume numbers...i want cargo floor area, not height...i don't want to stack stuff vertically

needs:
-reliability
-60/40 folding second row
-pleather/leather or seat covers (because dogs)
-be able to fit in the garage have about 18’ of space would like to have 2’-3’ of that to walk around the front or back
-awd or fwd
-not a cvt transmission if i can avoid it (toyota's planetary style cvt is fine though)
-timing chain, not belt
-would like 30+ mpg
-smaller wheels with more tire
-splash guards
-all weather floor mats and trunk tray
-no lights in bumpers
-aux input
-more cargo space than my legacy (more cargo floor area, not necessarily height, hence the want for a wagon)

wants:
-dual driver memory settings
-dual bluetooth phone connections
-window rain guards
-CarPlay
-2nd row seat back protection (rubberized)
-heated seats
-cooled seats
-backup camera

list at the moment:

i left some manufacturers off that i don't consider options either due to cost or reliability but let me know if you think i forgot any...(left out: Land Rover, Volvo, bmw, Mercedes, Audi, Cadillac, dodge, Infiniti, jeep, Lincoln, vw & Mitsubishi)

* = favorites

1 sedans
-kia k5
-Hyundai sonata hybrid
*-buick regal sportback

2 everything else
*-buick regal tourx
*-acura tsx sportwagon
-hyundai Tucson hybrid
-hyundai Santa Fe hybrid
*-honda crv ex-l
-mazda 3 hatchback
-honda element
-toyota prius v
-toyota corolla hatch
-toyota corolla cross
-honda hrv
*-Subaru Outback limited [for leather & seat memory] (on the list reluctantly)

3 truck
-toyota stout (coming?)
-toyota tacoma hybrid (coming?)
-hyundai santa cruz (2022 model, untested decent fuel mileage, interested but unsure, i assume this is a santa fe with the rear chopped off, reminds me of the subaru baja)
-ford maverick hybrid (same reasons as the santa cruz above, also not really sure about ford reliability and it's a new model)

Edited by Point37

On 11/1/2023 at 3:29 PM, m sprank said:

Cars are sooooooo expensive right now.  Like everything but still, wow. 

exactly why i'm going to bury the legacy...i have to do a little more homework on the new outbacks and see if they still consume oil at higher mileages...if so i will knock that off my list...it really is what i want to buy next but i don't want to take the chance of dealing with the same issue in high mileage again...behind that the tourx and the cx-50 would be my next choices...then crv and rav4

Edited by Point37

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again…assuming the cat is clogged again (already replaced in feb this year with aftermarket)…rear bumper around the exhaust is black…getting hard to start sometimes…I may pick up a spacer for the downstream o2 sensor and keep driving it to see if I can get the lights to go off…it won't fix the clog but if it gets rid of the code that's good…probably going to try an engine flush with this next oil change...dumped a bottle of cat cleaner into a full tank of fuel last night...if that works i'll buy a few more and do it every few weeks...also going to try and clean the injectors at some point...i have 3 options bg44k (2 cans), seafoam (1 can) and marvel mystery oil (a bunch of cans)...it’s really time to start real car shopping…i don’t need a vehicle inspection until august so I have time unless it gets to the point where it won't start cause its so clogged

o2 spacers

https://jcarpart.com/search?options[unavailable_products]=show&options[prefix]=last&q=o2+spacer