LegacyGT.com

Wideband as narrowband

revilo

Hi all, just got a wideband O2 sensor to start tuning with and I wonder if it is possible to use the wideband as a narrowband. I'd rather not weld in a new bung for an extra sensor if I don't have to.

The wideband controller has a low voltage narrowband output: Might I be able to run that narrowband analog output to the wire that would have connected to the original narrowband sensor?

The controller also has a wire for wideband analog output. It's just a naked wire. How are people hooking that in to logging software?

All advice appreciated!

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

Hello Revilo,

What brand/model wideband controller are you using? Maybe I can answer you better as to how to log on your PC if I know what we are dealing with here.

As for can you put the wideband sensor into where the narrowband sensor is now and just use the analog output from the controller to feed back into the computer? Sure, its technically possible... but it is not advisable. This would involve you extending the wire harness of the analog output of your WB controller to the engine bay to the factory narrowband sensor harness and cutting the harness to splice in the analog output for narrowband from you WB controller; and also extending the wideband sensor harness from the exhaust manifold into the cabin of your car where the WB controller is. You would also need to recalibrate the voltage output on the WB controller for the narrowband output to match the factory sensor output. Keep in mind that this is a very important sensor used to do fuel trimming so accuracy is important.

In short, it would be a lot more work to do this than it would be to install another o2 bung into your exhaust (i think a local shop a couple of years back quoted me $90 to weld in the bung).

Thanks for the reply. The gauge is an Autogauge unit (same as depo gauges) and uses a Bosch 4.9. The wideband sensor runs into the cabin and connects to a controller box that has outputs for the gauge and 3 analog wires. Their literature says that the wires are as follows:

BLACK – ENGINE GROUND

BROWN – WIDE BAND ANALOG OUTPUT 0-5V (0V -> 10AFR, 5V -> 20AFR)

GREEN – NARROW BAND ANALOG OUTPUT 0-1V (0V->20AFR, 1V -> 10AFR)

I've got a spare connector that will hook up the narrowband analog output to where the original narrowband sensor would have connected to the engine harness, so that isn't a concern. The wires are plenty long. I'm mostly concerned that the original O2 sensor is in fact a 0-1V output, and that the output from the controller box will suffice to provide the engine computer with what it needs. I'm fairly convinced it is, but wonder if anyone else has experience with this. Not keen on adding an extra sensor to the pipe if I can help it, which is why I'm not just taking that route.

The factory sensor scaling is actually based off of mA instead of voltage. I have copied the stock values from a 2008 WRX:

Untitled.png

You could measure mA coming out of the analog narrow band with a mutimeter and verify it matches the values above against what the gauge is showing.

Sorry, I forgot to answer the gauge question logging to laptop. So the way most other gauges work as a logger to a laptop is via a serial output, not an analog output.

You could try setting out your other output to an analog-to-serial converter and then log to a computer that way with a free program like romraider. The way I would do it would be to match similar voltage to serial outputs to be the same as the AEM UEGO (mostly because its just about universally accepted in logging software) and then just tell the software the gauge is an AEM. Setup with a USB to serial cable, identity the COM port, and voila, your logging to a laptop!

Not interchangeable, the narrow band has a totally different voltage output characteristic, its not a linear Voltage like the wideband. There is no electronics in the narrowband in the form of an amplifier.

Voltage range is also different. Google it and look at the Voltage graphs.

Archived