LegacyGT.com

Xm Installs...?

Cstoop

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like TechCI, I installed my Terk in the cubby too.

How exactly did you fit the unit in the cubby? Did you rig something up or is it just sitting all the way in the back of the cubby?

How did you make the holes in the cubby?

And lastly, where did you place the antenna?

Sorry to bother with all the questions, but I'll be doing the same within the next month.

Thanks for the help, and btw IT LOOKS GOOD!! :icon_bigg

I used the bracket it came with but of course had to trim both sides very carefully so it didn't look bad. Since I had an extra trunk tray (yes, the one that sits above the spare tire), I cut a piece of that to sit behind it so it would move the whole unit forward about 2 inches. Once I got that all in place, I used a couple small plastic dowels pushed through a couple holes I drilled in the top to hold the unit there. I chose this method because I have never been able to get epoxy/glue to look good on plastic in locations where aesthetics are key.

As far as a the hole is concerned, I just drilled out one of the two small holes in the bottom rear of the cubby large enough to fit the unit's cable end through it. The receiver itself is velcroed to the side of the stereo cavity far enough back so that it is completely out of the way, and the line-outs run directly into a Soundgate AUX3 switch (actual switch is mounted in the cigarette lighter location since it's so big)for multiple auxiliary inputs. From there it runs into a JL Cleansweep and into a full blown JL system.

The antenna is actually mounted about an inch above the front windshield right in the center. I ran the antenna wire under the rubber weather stripping along the top and down the driver's side A pillar. Once I got it under the hood I was able to run it into the grommet covered hole in the wheel-well where I ran my positive leads for my amps.

I know I wrote a book, but hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Bill

All great info.

Wife said that she wants a portable XM in the OBXT for Christmas. I just got the jazzy board for the ipod. I imagine that i will just run a y-splitter input with ipod and xm.

Now to pick the right XM unit for car and home. Ideas?

Does anyone have a portable XM set up in their car?

I would like to buy just one unit that I can carry with me. (Car, House, Snowboarding, Mtn Biking.. i'm usually all over the place)

But without a extended antenna, I’m not sure the reception will be worth the convience.

If you are referrring to the skyfi 2, yes I used to have that in my car. Def worth setting up, the skyfi2 should come with a docking base, antenna, cig. adaptor and the tape deck adaptor. ran that in my outback and in the legacy up until recently. kids like listening to it in the house so I got the roady2 for the car.

reception was great. Think you should still run an fm modulator for the best reception. I had the tape deck in the outback so it was great. think you'll find that if you use the built in fm mod in the skyfi the reception won't be as good.

antenna placement? I put it on the dash in the outback and had no problems. now on the gt it on the roof by the hatch. again, no problems with reception.

carlo

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

:icon_ques

For those of you with an XM Commander, where did you draw power from for the unit?

I have never done any electrical work on a car before, but would like to do the install myself. Just looking for some hints and maybe some material that I would need to get before I open up the dash.

Pictures would be much appreciated also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well this thread is pretty old but if anybody is still interested check out my audio install, including xm here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26678

I'm not too happy with how the XM looks were it is right now but, I didn't want to put the xm in the top cubby because I plan to have a screen there for a carputer eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Roady 2 set up like jdepew with the bracket on the right. No one complains that it is in the way, the angle is good, the red light is a good match and it looks good, in my opinion. I have the FM Modulator in line and the sound is excellent to my untrained ear and I can even use it to plug in an MP3/Ipod if I want. The only thing I disagree with (again,my opinion only) is that the antenna is best outside the car. Access from the trunk lid is easy enough that even I could do it. But if the position inside works for someone, thats fine too.

Here's mine

http://images16.fotki.com/v275/photos/5/58182/3154408/DSC_1536-vi.jpg

http://images16.fotki.com/v275/photos/5/58182/3154408/DSC_1535-vi.jpg

http://images15.fotki.com/v265/photos/5/58182/3154408/DSC_1529-vi.jpg

http://images15.fotki.com/v266/photos/5/58182/3154408/DSC_1538-vi.jpg

Sorry,no pictures I placed the antenna on the trunk ahead of the spoiler(that is, closer to the windoe).Ran the wire over the forward trunk lid lip(again,closer to the window) into the trunk and immediately under the trunk lid interior trim. Then left(towars the driver) to the hinge,follow over the top of the hinge into the trunk, then throught te center pass through(I have the sedan with the pass through). Now ypu are inside the car..Just tuck the wire into the space along the passthrough and head up to the top of the rear seat(drivers side for me) and tuck the wire along the back of the seat , then head to the drivers side along the side of the seat, down to the floor then forward to the drivers side. It tuks nicely under the trim.

Why waste your time with anything other than Sirius. It's the only place you can get the King of All Media: Howard Stern!!!!

Lets see...

1. O&A are funnier and actually come up with new bits. HooHoo (King of All media) just says everyone is ripping me off. Tell em Fred!

2. XM has had a portable unit for over 1 year. Next month XM will have a portable unit that can store MP3's also. Sirius has a portable unit but it does not get a live signal on the go. That makes no sense.

I listen to XM in my LGT, House, Train and while walking in NYC every day.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

xm is teh suck. Sirius recievers are much cooler. Not to mention their music selection kicks XM's A$$ oh yeah and need i say HS.

Dont worry this is not a biased opinion, i USED to have both, but opted for Sirius in the end for the aforementioned reasons.

Nate

xm is teh suck. Sirius recievers are much cooler. Not to mention their music selection kicks XM's A$$ oh yeah and need i say HS.

Dont worry this is not a biased opinion, i USED to have both, but opted for Sirius in the end for the aforementioned reasons.

Nate

I suppose the recievers are a matter of opinion. Iwill say that the XM portables blow the sirius portable out. My bro has the Inno, and it is sick. I have yet to see a sirius unit that I like, but thats my opinion. HS hasn't WOW'ed me in years, so I am really enjoying the Greg and Tony Show. Stern has becoime a caricature of what he used to be. Not to knock him. He took 1/2 a billion bucks to work 3 days a week. I would make the same move.

Nate

I do like some of sirius' receivers. XM is coming around with some nice ones though.

as for xm sucking?? matter of opinion......listening to sirius at work and don't like the selection of music.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

HS hasn't WOW'ed me in years, so I am really enjoying the Greg and Tony Show. Stern has becoime a caricature of what he used to be. Not to knock him. He took 1/2 a billion bucks to work 3 days a week. I would make the same move.

I don't want to turn this into a XM vs Sirius war, but I'll chime in quickly. Stern has gotten MUCH better since his move to satellite. I agree his show became stale and not as good in the late 90's as it was in the late 80's, but it's become much better (if you haven't heard it since his move, it may be worth checking it out if you can).

Also, he works 4 days/week, not 3. Sometimes he does work all 5 days though. Plus there's so much programming on his 2 channels (I'm no Bubba or Ferrell fan though) him taking off Fridays is fine with me.

Archived