LegacyGT.com

Xm Installs...?

Cstoop

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do I get that center "cubby" part out? Do the whole vent parts come out as one big piece? I searched but got a million results and nothing specific that I saw. Anyway, I want to drill some small holes for the wires and mount my Sirius there.

...but how to get it out!!?!??

How do I get that center "cubby" part out? Do the whole vent parts come out as one big piece? I searched but got a million results and nothing specific that I saw. Anyway, I want to drill some small holes for the wires and mount my Sirius there.

...but how to get it out!!?!??

Pull hard and evenly. I used the cubby door mostly to pull.

The cubby module includes the center vents, so the unit is a single piece that removes at the square seam where it meets the dash panel. If you have something like a plastic wedge tool (they make such things for radio installers made of teflon) to pry it out that's the best way. It takes some force because of the retaining clips + the vents need to separate from the ducts inside the dash. You can pull the cubby out a few inches and then need to disconnect the several wire harnesses.

I have my antenna mounted on the front cowl. Just to the left of the driver's side windshield wiper there's a small plastic ledge. I used double sided tape to stick the antenna there.

Ran the wire from the vent down throught the dash, left of the radio, below the steering column, behind the door weather stripping, and up behind the fender to the cowl. Took about 10 minutes.

I put mine in the cubby.

I did the same and it looks just like the pic TechCI posted.

But, I am going to move it to the ashtray area and move my Garmin Quest in to the cubby.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I put my Audiovox XR9 on the dash and ran the wires through the AC vent. The mount is an Ultimount from Pro-fit:

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/UltiMount/

I think it looks pretty clean, and it's easy to mount and adjust. Plus no wires.

Did you have to drill holes in the vent to get the wires in or there is a spot where we can slip in the wires without drilling ?

No drilling. When you pull the cubby out, the vent tubes stick out from behind. They're attached to the cubby by clips. Where the fascia and the vent tube meet the tube has a small notch. I ran wires through that notch and into the dash.

That's what I thought. I am planning on installing it this weekend.

Also, did you permanently connected the power by putting the DC adapter under the dash and hooking it to the lighter plug in the console?

I have seen a thread with pictures of a setup like this (actually the DC Adapter was fitted underneath the console just above the shifter) put I cant find it anymore. maybe it was on XMFan.com.

How's the reception with the antenna on the dash?

Hey all,

Thought I would share my half assed XM Commander install with the forum. Currently, I have the XM Commander mounted in the ash tray location. As one can tell, I have removed the entire ash tray assembly for the time being. The end goal is to mount the XM Commander in a modified ash try for the uber cool OEM look mm def pioneered.

xm_photo.jpg.1e6fcec6ef8ec0d1ba8178cb9d2d628f.jpg

I just got an XM roady 2, and am beginning an install. I was able to fit mine in the cubby, and close the door, without any modification/cutting. I just put it in at an angle, then tipped it upright just behind the lip of the door. It is a tight fit, no need for any velcro or brackets. The door still closes. There is a little interference with the door lip and upper part of the unit, but it opens and closes completely. I could trim the lip on the back of the door, but I'd rather just leave it as is. I plan on mouniting the antenna on the rear roof of my wagon. Anyone have a tip on routing the wire? I'm planning on running it along the passenger side of the car, under the door sill plates/carpet.

Jason K.

AWDpower,

I mounted the antenna at the back of the roof at the vehicle's centerline. Then routed the wire back down the left side of the tailgate and brought it inside going over the door seal just before the chrome entry plate. Next I pulled up the left side floor panel (which detaches easily by hand) and found there a nice recessed groove that follows around the perimeter of the floor up to the wheel well. From there I was able to tuck the wire inside of the wheel well side panel, and exit out the far end. Then it went thru the rear seat where the seat back and seat come together. It can then tuck nicely between the seatback and seat cushions all the way down to the door sill plates (but make sure you route it behind the seatbelt). I was able to push it inside the sill plate by hand with the help of a screwdriver covered by a washcloth. Followed the sill plate all the way over to about midway point of the front drivers seat then made a 90 deg turn, went down underneath the seat and came back up the other side and into the center console. Then routed it underneath the center console (needed to remove the console to do this) and finally up to the Roady2 in the cubby. This routing left me about 2ft of extra antenna length. I was happy that the wiring can only be seen slightly (helped by the black interior) at the place where it enters the tailgate across the door seal and when it comes out of the door sill at the drivers seat.

Also, I secured the wire across and down along the tailgate using those small 3M plastic clips (the ones that use the small tape strips that can be pulled to remove later without taking the paint off your walls). That keeps the wire nice and tight along the perimeter of the tailgate and lessens chance of getting snagged or pinched by the tailgate when closing.

I pretty much followed tigerpaw's route on my '04 OB but placed the antenna about 2" forward of the hatch top to maximize the roof "ground plane". My signal has never dropped out. Ran the cable inside the weatherstriping and then followed paw's route through the seats. Basically followed the same route on my '05 GT limited sedan. My Roady2 is also inside the cubby but I drilled a 1/2" hole in the bottom left corner to run the cables inside the cubby. I pulled the cubby out and snaked the cables through the dash and ran them along the console to the back seat.

What is the best way (easy + well concealed) to run the antenna wire from the unit to the outside to the wherever?

mine is mounted on the roof right at the edge in the center. routed the wire underneath the weather stripping and tucked it under until I reached the corner of the opening. then tucked the wire behind the headliner all the way to the front, down the a-pillar and underneath the dash.

I get great reception with it out there. I've had it inside mounted in the center of the dash wedged up against the glass and got good reception there too.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I pretty much followed tigerpaw's route on my '04 OB but placed the antenna about 2" forward of the hatch top to maximize the roof "ground plane". My signal has never dropped out. Ran the cable inside the weatherstriping and then followed paw's route through the seats. Basically followed the same route on my '05 GT limited sedan. My Roady2 is also inside the cubby but I drilled a 1/2" hole in the bottom left corner to run the cables inside the cubby. I pulled the cubby out and snaked the cables through the dash and ran them along the console to the back seat.

I did exactly the same as tigerpaw's as well but the only suggestion I would add is to protect the wire with some loom wrap where it is close to the seats rails. Because the other day the wife took the car and when she moved the seat the antenna wire got pinched and I got to buy another antenna and start over :icon_frow.

when she moved the seat the antenna wire got pinched and I got to buy another antenna and start over :icon_frow.

I snapped the XM antenna wire in my last Legacy. I found that the wire is like coaxial cable. I was able to splice it and didnt notice any loss of quality.

Does anyone have a portable XM set up in their car?

I would like to buy just one unit that I can carry with me. (Car, House, Snowboarding, Mtn Biking.. i'm usually all over the place)

But without a extended antenna, I’m not sure the reception will be worth the convience.

Archived