LegacyGT.com

A guy can hope - Subaru are you listening?

SBT

What I like about the Legacy wagon is that it handles like a sedan, its that simple.

Subaru really put the effort into these, 18 inch wheels and Bilstein suspension right out of the factory in 2005.

Whats annoying is the lack of progress since then, even worse lets go backwards and make something you don't want to buy.

I guess I will just have to buy the Audi RS 4 Avant to replace the wagon....gee it only costs 10 times as much as I paid for my Subaru !

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats annoying is the lack of progress since then, even worse lets go backwards and make something you don't want to buy.

Funny, record sales and continued growth, seems like they are making what the majority of people want to buy.

Subaru needs to do something epic and outrageous. Something like a subaru CTS-v wagon awd with a proper gated manual. Just my .02$ as a old head, Subaru never kept up with the young guys that grew up.

Exactly mate and now the young guys that grew up have the money to buy anything they want, but Subaru no longer makes anything even close to "Epic".

There is a market at the top end that Subaru are missing out on. A total of 200 Subaru S209's for the whole of the USA is a joke.

Sad to say it but the likes of the Ford Mustang have gone from zero to hero in our market. Gee what a surprise they offer the V8 in a MANUAL for our market !!!

Exactly mate and now the young guys that grew up have the money to buy anything they want, but Subaru no longer makes anything even close to "Epic".

There is a market at the top end that Subaru are missing out on. A total of 200 Subaru S209's for the whole of the USA is a joke.

Sad to say it but the likes of the Ford Mustang have gone from zero to hero in our market. Gee what a surprise they offer the V8 in a MANUAL for our market !!!

My ex-oldwoman was from Christchurch, how's the weather down there ;)

CVTs are here to stay, deal with it.

And when going hybrid they make more sense.

Pffft. While I did cave in and bought two conventional autos recently (Toyota trucks), I anticipate to never own a CVT. It's either manual or no transmission at all. I am looking at adding an EV to the stable. Gotta say the i3 with regen braking feels great - essentially one foot driving. My biggest pet peeve about autos in traffic is the constant right foot work. Manuals are easier to drive in traffic IMO. Until the regen EV.

Ok, DSG might also have its place. Recently rented a 718 Boxter with PDK and liked much more than expected.

But CVT? DO NOT WANT.

Pffft. While I did cave in and bought two conventional autos recently (Toyota trucks), I anticipate to never own a CVT. It's either manual or no transmission at all. I am looking at adding an EV to the stable. Gotta say the i3 with regen braking feels great - essentially one foot driving. My biggest pet peeve about autos in traffic is the constant right foot work. Manuals are easier to drive in traffic IMO. Until the regen EV.

Ok, DSG might also have its place. Recently rented a 718 Boxter with PDK and liked much more than expected.

But CVT? DO NOT WANT.

I actually read that whole post. And my final conclusion? You just went full retarded.

I actually read that whole post. And my final conclusion? You just went full retarded.

Sorry reading tired you brain so much. I appreciate the effort though. Perhaps care to elaborate? Or you just call anyone with different views or preferences than yours "retarded"? Did you learn the word just now or heard it before?

Sorry reading tired you brain so much. I appreciate the effort though. Perhaps care to elaborate? Or you just call anyone with different views or preferences than yours "retarded"? Did you learn the word just now or heard it before?

I think the part where you managed to contradict yourself with every successive sentence.

Just bought two Autos, but it's Manual or nothing for you, but EV's are good because using your right foot for two pedals is too much work and too tricky, but let's throw a third pedal and necessitate using the right foot for two pedals and coordinate that with what the other foot is doing, and manuals are easier in traffic.

It's so crazy, I'd almost think it's parody, but since you appear to have taken offense, I'm guessing you weren't in on the joke.

I think the part where you managed to contradict yourself with every successive sentence.

Just bought two Autos, but it's Manual or nothing for you, but EV's are good because using your right foot for two pedals is too much work and too tricky, but let's throw a third pedal and necessitate using the right foot for two pedals and coordinate that with what the other foot is doing, and manuals are easier in traffic.

It's so crazy, I'd almost think it's parody, but since you appear to have taken offense, I'm guessing you weren't in on the joke.

Geez....was it that hard to parse? Ok, I have multiple vehicles and use them for different purposes.

tl;Dr: I am not interested in CVTs. Ever. In order of preference: manual, no transmission (EV), DSG, hydraulic auto.

Generally prefer manuals for both daily driving duty as well as fun vehicles. I can see DSG being fun, but my experience with them is limited to one weekend, and I wonder if the fun would wear down.

I bought autos for off-road trucks because either there is no choice (Land Cruiser) or the truck manual sucked in comparison (2nd gen Tacoma). But I admit auto is simply much easier to drive off-road and manual can be tricky (for me) to a point of being not fun. Maybe not enough experience. I sorta thinking about a 2-door JL Wrangler in the future, and that one I would get with a manual.

Conventional autos or even DSG are not fun in traffic at all. I hate constant right foot work, it's more tiresome than manual in traffic (that I can coast, slip clutch, engine brake, etc). DSG engine brakes well, but aren't too smooth from the stop.

EV w/regen braking behaves like manual or better. It pretty much becomes single foot affair with no gears to change. One has to be really wired differently to not see that's the easiest, most convenient way to drive in traffic.

CVT just do not do it for me in any department: no fun and too complex. I generally don't give flying **** about fuel economy but understandably that does not apply to most.

The DSGs have had more problems than the Subaru CVTs. I'd prefer the cost of an oil change on the CVT over a clutch pack change on the DSG any day at the same driven distance.

I would not dispute that. My comment was more in terms of the driving/fun factor. I'd probably shy away from owning a DSG equipped car, unless there is no reasonable alternative.

I hate constant right foot work, it's more tiresome than manual in traffic (that I can coast, slip clutch, engine brake, etc). DSG engine brakes well, but aren't too smooth from the stop.

And before you jump on me again here: constant moving right foot between go and stop pedal I find very tiresome and annoying - along with the feel of torque converter. Maybe if autos were set up for two foot driving (left-foot braking), it would have been a little better, but then I imagine it would be hard to switch between autos and manuals.

Anyone tried the new 8 and even 10 speed autos that are on the market now ?

Did you notice that certain manufacturers are avoiding the CVT like the plague ?

8 or 10 speed autos are being using in cars with 450Hp, there is clearly a limit for CVT and its no good in high power applications.

I would make the observation that CVT is a dog and is good for like 100Hp or less. Great for your grandmother driving that 1.3 litre shopping trolley in a lightweight run about, otherwise forget it.

Did you notice that certain manufacturers are avoiding the CVT like the plague ?

8 or 10 speed autos are being using in cars with 450Hp, there is clearly a limit for CVT and its no good in high power applications.

I would make the observation that CVT is a dog and is good for like 100Hp or less. Great for your grandmother driving that 1.3 litre shopping trolley in a lightweight run about, otherwise forget it.

Yea yea yea- there has to be a HP limit after all it was only put in a F1 car. I'm sure they don't put out much.

The things suck so bad that they outlawed them - no grandma F1 drivers allowed.

In all seriousness- just about every forum I've read with transmissions with a large number of gears have been complaints that in normal day to day driving , they seem to hunt- not know what gear to be in.

But why do you think they are putting so many gears in? Could it be they are trying to get closer to gasp a CVT?

Yea yea yea- there has to be a HP limit after all it was only put in a F1 car. I'm sure they don't put out much.

The things suck so bad that they outlawed them - no grandma F1 drivers allowed.

In all seriousness- just about every forum I've read with transmissions with a large number of gears have been complaints that in normal day to day driving , they seem to hunt- not know what gear to be in.

But why do you think they are putting so many gears in? Could it be they are trying to get closer to gasp a CVT?

You need to look at why they're not used and trucks.

Stepped auto transmissions bugs are just annoying to me - each gear change makes me twitch with the "what did now go wrong" sense.

And there is heavy equipment also having CVTs, but it's usually farm equipment where it makes sense to being able to fine tune the speed while keeping constant rpm on the engine.

453747.png

CAT would disagree about the use of a CVT in a high power application

And so would AGCO

although it is a totally different design it is still a CVT

the limiting factor in automotive CVT is not the belt or chain, nor the variator, it is the contact area between the two.

Yeah, and not really interested in those, either. Autos I bought are definitely old school. A 5-speed in the Tacoma, and a 6-speed in the Cruiser. Sought a 2015 Cruiser specifically, because 2016 has an 8-speed now.

Archived