LegacyGT.com

A guy can hope - Subaru are you listening?

SBT

Thank you for your extensive market research on this one. Problem is, they stopped making them for the US market because ... wait for it ... they couldn't sell the damned things! :spin:

Things change over time. People drift off into other "Trendy" market segments then realize the likes of the SUV was not that great after all.

The SUV is as aerodynamic as a brick and as fuel prices continue to increase, everyone will eventually be forced into a smaller car.

There are a number of reasons why a SUV sucks compared to a Legacy wagon.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you for your extensive market research on this one. Problem is, they stopped making them for the US market because ... wait for it ... they couldn't sell the damned things! :spin:

The major bit of SOA's rationale for dropping the wagon, was that it was taking assembly line capacity away from the Outbacks (read: SUVs), which Subaru had correctly read the tea leaves on, would be the next Subaru big hit.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Cheapest V60 with AWD is $44K. Even a XC40 with AWD is nearly 40K. Think I'll be buying a Forester instead, $32K for the limited trim.

I'm in the same boat- I've been looking for a while and so far for the price I can't find anything close to the Limited Forest when considering price, features and safety.

The only thing I'm waiting for is to see a Passport when it comes out.

Things change over time. People drift off into other "Trendy" market segments then realize the likes of the SUV was not that great after all.

The SUV is as aerodynamic as a brick and as fuel prices continue to increase, everyone will eventually be forced into a smaller car.

There are a number of reasons why a SUV sucks compared to a Legacy wagon.

The Outback doesn’t get much less fuel ecomony than the Legacy wagon would. The improvement of fuel economy in midsized and small suv is also why sedan sales are down. When SUV owners would look to downsize or improve FE they used be forced into sedans now crossovers SUV are the new choice. The new crossover SUV are getting similar and better mpg than their sedan used to and far better than suv of 10 years ago.

All depends on whats important to you in a car. Personally I don't care about the fuel consumption and our fuel prices are much higher than yours, although recently someone posted the price of your fuel and it has gone up significantly compared to ours.

What I like is power and handling with a practical vehicle that is a real drivers car which is a pretty hard combination to find until I took the Legacy for a test drive.

Does anyone know if the next gen Legacy will be released in 2019 or 2020?

Legacy/Outback should be released at the Chicago auto show later this year. It is the last platform to be migrated to the global platform. The current legacy is 5 model years old design wise...

The show will open to the public Saturday, February 9 and run through Monday, February 18 at McCormick Place. Hours will be 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. each day except for the final day of the show, President's Day, when it will close at 8 p.m.

we do not have that long to wait

Legacy/Outback should be released at the Chicago auto show later this year. It is the last platform to be migrated to the global platform. The current legacy is 5 model years old design wise...

The show will open to the public Saturday, February 9 and run through Monday, February 18 at McCormick Place. Hours will be 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. each day except for the final day of the show, President's Day, when it will close at 8 p.m.

we do not have that long to wait

The new WRX still has to move to SGP. I believe that'll be announced either mid-late this year or next year.

The 2015 Legacy was show in Feb at Chicago and 2015 Outback was shown in Feb at New York.

^ it did with the Detroit auto show, so that leaves the Legacy/Outback to get the official release

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a20733804/2020-subaru-wrx-sti/

That is a rumor, the WRX isn't updated to the SGP. Subaru just released the 2019 s209 STI yesterday that going to be built late 2019 and is based on the 2015-2019 WRX platform. It is expected that Subaru SGP WRX will either be late 2020MY release in late 2019 calendar year or 2021MY in 2020 CY at this point and time.

I'm going to the Philly Auto show the first week of February. IIRC Subaru usually announces new models at the NY Auto show. If they stick with a 5 year cycle, the 7th gen Legacy/ 6th gen Outback should be out this fall as a 2020 model.
Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

If people bought wagons, they'd sell them. If people bought sedans, they'd sell them.

They stop selling them because not enough people are buying them. Out of the hundreds or thousands of people that say, "If they made it, I'd buy it!," only a handful would actually come through and buy it new.

The problem with modern wagons is that they transited from being practical workhorses to something that has too low ground clearance. That's why the Outback exists.

Now if the Outback came with a 450hp turbocharged H6 it would be a shocker.

453747.png

The problem with modern wagons is that they transited from being practical workhorses to something that has too low ground clearance. That's why the Outback exists.

Now if the Outback came with a 450hp turbocharged H6 it would be a shocker.

Yeah you would get the shock as you ended up in a ditch.

The Outback doesn't have the handling for 450Hp. They won't even put 350Hp in the STi yet.

The new S207 with 341Hp that basically doesn't exist because its in such limited numbers is available to the USA.

I started my love of Subaru with a '97 outback Sport which was a low sitting wagon compared to the much larger Outback of that same year. I still really like Outbacks and could see myself getting one someday. I would much rather have a newer Outback than the Tribeca (or insert another SUV name here) that I am driving now. In my mind Wagons are still king, they are very useful and practical.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

If people bought wagons, they'd sell them. If people bought sedans, they'd sell them.

They stop selling them because not enough people are buying them. Out of the hundreds or thousands of people that say, "If they made it, I'd buy it!," only a handful would actually come through and buy it new.

Don't be trying to bring logic and reason into this!

Archived