LegacyGT.com

Longblock back in. Bare or everything installed?

Putting everything back on my new longblock. I have a 5eat. Would it be easier to put everything back on (intake manifold etc...) and put it back in the engine bay or put the bareish block back in hook it up to the trans then put everything back on? Looking for opinions. Thanks guys.

I dropped mine back in with everything on.. Intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds to the turbo. Definitely easier working on the engine stand rather than in the engine compartment. Only things installed after it was in were belt driven accessories, and intercooler.

I dropped mine back in with everything on.. Intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds to the turbo. Definitely easier working on the engine stand rather than in the engine compartment. Only things installed after it was in were belt driven accessories, and intercooler.

Thanks.

See the click here link in my sig, put everything on that you can.

It's much easier to do that with the engine out. No bending over the fenders, your back will thank you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

See the click here link in my sig, put everything on that you can.

It's much easier to do that with the engine out. No bending over the fenders, your back will thank you.

Max thanks for link to your build! Helped so much. I pulled the intake off the TGV instead of them off the block. Iv'e been working on this for over 3 weeks now and starting to forget where stuff goes back on and your pics have helped with that. Still waiting on new injectors and a oil cooler. Who knows what else I will need. I already ripped up one cam bolt trying to get it off with an extractor so i might need new cam bolts. Question. I will need to use the cam gears off my old motor and put them on my new block. The timing marks should be the same on both motors right?

There are threads on the cam bolts, do a google search for stripped cam bolt Subaru legacy gt.

Yes I would use the old gears if they are in good shape.

Yes timing marks will be the same. Hint, don't be worried about the marks on the belt. Just make sure after you have the belt installed you rotate the crank by hand and make sure the marks line back up. I seem to recall its 4 times around. I'd link the service manual, but I'm on one of many lap tops at work.

There is a timing belt thread in the DYI section.

Oh, before you start the engine for the first time, turn the key to On for at least 10 seconds a few times. That primes the fuel system.

My engine started the first time like it does every day. 3 cranks and it fired up and idled.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

There are threads on the cam bolts, do a google search for stripped cam bolt Subaru legacy gt.

Yes I would use the old gears if they are in good shape.

Yes timing marks will be the same. Hint, don't be worried about the marks on the belt. Just make sure after you have the belt installed you rotate the crank by hand and make sure the marks line back up. I seem to recall its 4 times around. I'd link the service manual, but I'm on one of many lap tops at work.

There is a timing belt thread in the DYI section.

Oh, before you start the engine for the first time, turn the key to On for at least 10 seconds a few times. That primes the fuel system.

My engine started the first time like it does every day. 3 cranks and it fired up and idled.

Thank you sir. Its finally getting close to the end an excited to have my car back.

I'll be doing the same hopefully in a week once motor gets back from machine shop. Glad to know I should assemble everything.

Questions about turbo, I had to loosed mine to remove engine due to it getting caught on bell housing. Should I leave it off for motor install?

I'll be doing the same hopefully in a week once motor gets back from machine shop. Glad to know I should assemble everything.

Questions about turbo, I had to loosed mine to remove engine due to it getting caught on bell housing. Should I leave it off for motor install?

I believe I had mine bolted to the up pipe when I put the engine back in. I recall test fitting the tmic with the engine on the stand.

DSCN4788.thumb.JPG.ff1261bb6be1b29714065ecce391c555.JPG

DSCN4783.thumb.JPG.5fc9ffba62545ed81a8bfc4686e77c1c.JPG

Archived