LegacyGT.com

Derek's 05 LGT Wagon build

Back in may of 18, I purchased this 05 Obsidion Black wagon from a dealership with only 33k miles.

I bought this car with my heart and not my head. Back story, my best friend loved Subarus and worked for the dealership in Auburn Washington for a little while. He and I always loved cars. He was the only one of my friends that was into cars the way I was. He passed away almost 3 years ago now. So when I saw this wagon, our dream car, come up for sale with the low mileage I jumped on it. I bought it without an inspection with the check engine light on and paid for my mistake.

The care came already modified.

Cobb down pipe

STI up pipe

AEN intake

Cobb front and rear sway bars

Whiteline bushings

Unknown aftermarket suspension

Blacked out headlights

DRLs disabled

TGV deletes

Married to an access port not with the car

8cfdd50e11f24405a967dd7a77c5064e.jpg6d398526c44cc49e2def73e648eddc94.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Shortly after I bought the car I ran into a slew of issues.

Thankfully I found a great shop in my area Infront Automotive, who were very honest and up front about everything. John was a huge help and down the line tuned my car and got it running right.

It took about a month of shop visits and a nice hole in my wallet but the wagon was finally running right.

Now start the mods.

I started slow with just tinting my windows, moved to rain guards, jdm double din and redline hood struts.68e7183db6bc7c814245842816b97482.jpg8aa31795f5e05febeebd914a180eff92.jpgbd01a84d87657b0e5802fb215c954a57.jpg65bb37c97a69912f7d2fe704858f7af9.jpge5e81eb6c01adb025df208cb119c55e4.jpg

Edited by d.j.zielie

While lurking on the forum, I couldn't post for some reason (thank woosh for taptalk). I found madrig and all his beautiful work. I needed the spoiler. So I got it.

Then came a few more pieces, kouki tail lights and jdm rear garnish. Also plasti dipped the wheels in Brass Monkey. Since I didn't want to spend money on new wheels yet.

Working on getting a jdm bumper and aero spats soon.

Future plans as of now;

Black out interior, everything.

Exhaust

Front bumper

Madrigs carbon garnish trim.

ef69f60ed86db1c89dcc6b1186a8d549.jpg2d6774f45e5b62f212fa6c3f028831ae.jpgb46e5cbfa75723287ffae2fa65674d38.jpg

33,000 miles, that's a great find.

The Outback grill is kind of....different.

Yeah, the 33k sold me on it. But whoever had it prior didn't take care of it. Maybe they did, but they didn't take their time into putting it back to stock, lose panels and lose wires all over

The outback grill is gone now. After some trial and error buying grills that didn't fit I found a good deal on a new stock grill.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

You might enjoy the service manual.

Has the timing belt been replaced and the diff fluids changed ?

Timing belt is a 10 year item, diffs are every 30,000 miles. I use Motul Gear 300 in them. It's not cheap, but its the best stuff out there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just bought the Redline hood struts. Were they a pain in the ass to install?
They were easy. I had to go buy a rivet gun since I didn't have one. They were pretty straight forward. I had to drill out my I'd plate on the driver's side shock tower since it was in the way, my measurements were probably off. Other then that it was drill 8 holes and pop in 8 rivets and it was done.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

You might enjoy the service manual.

Has the timing belt been replaced and the diff fluids changed ?

Timing belt is a 10 year item, diffs are every 30,000 miles. I use Motul Gear 300 in them. It's not cheap, but its the best stuff out there.

The timing belt was done prior to purchase. At least that's what the paper work said so who knows.

I'll do the diffs my next shop visits for a retune.

Got a great deal on the JDM rear bumper and rear valance. Going to get them painted and installed this weekend. I know I'll need to either delete the aluminum crash bar or cut it up. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I might just get it on this weekend and trim the bar later.7c8f524a3691e60887d94c36b732eb1a.jpgc7f080bc99abc34cd2ade9fcc7ef804b.jpgd1ac8a98ddebe47c1d34498b0e419158.jpg

Shortly after I bought the car I ran into a slew of issues.

Thankfully I found a great shop in my area Infront Automotive, who were very honest and up front about everything. John was a huge help and down the line tuned my car and got it running right.

It took about a month of shop visits and a nice hole in my wallet but the wagon was finally running right.

Hey, great looking wagon! I'm always in for a wagon build.

What kind of things were wrong with it? It's so typical for a mistreated LGT to need a new short block, which leaves a giant hole in the bank account (and perhaps your soul/ego/sanity), that I am curious what needed to be fixed that wasn't the whole engine.

Hey, great looking wagon! I'm always in for a wagon build.

What kind of things were wrong with it? It's so typical for a mistreated LGT to need a new short block, which leaves a giant hole in the bank account (and perhaps your soul/ego/sanity), that I am curious what needed to be fixed that wasn't the whole engine.

Lots of wiring issues. Most of the shop time consisted of tracking down said wiring issues. Most of the codes on the car were for the transmission. I had one issue that was throwing a misfire code that turned out to be a couple that blew off my intercooler that was installed incorrectly.

I was missing heat shields, the main harness plug in the engine bay was busted and only held in by friction. Lots of small things that added up.

Bumper install complete. Wow what a pain in the ass. I ended up needing to jack my car up and take the rear wheels off to get at one bolt that was behind the wheel well cover. And it took me about 15 minutes of searching to find access to the bolt further towards the back side.

I'll get the rear sport lip installed next weekend as I dont have any hardware for install.3207141ac2981f4babf37d68aa9c8a66.jpg700c0291497354beb7717a220ea8f704.jpgbba011114970818fa176e3b5c64a7337.jpg

Bumper install complete. Wow what a pain in the ass. I ended up needing to jack my car up and take the rear wheels off to get at one bolt that was behind the wheel well cover. And it took me about 15 minutes of searching to find access to the bolt further towards the back side.

I'll get the rear sport lip installed next weekend as I dont have any hardware for install.3207141ac2981f4babf37d68aa9c8a66.jpg700c0291497354beb7717a220ea8f704.jpgbba011114970818fa176e3b5c64a7337.jpg

Lookin good!!

If you don’t want to take the rear wheels off if ever you take the bumper off again just get a 10mm ratcheting box wrench. Fits in there nicely with some room above the wheel to ratchet. Took some trial and error for me to figure it out without having to take the wheels off when I did mine

Got the rear valance on finally! I would have done it sooner but I was missing body clips/hardware, but it's on now. Chrome is not my thing, but I loved the lines the garnish and lights made, so got rid of the chrome trim thanks to Madrig. ( I'll add a close up pic later the current one doesn't do it justice)

Valance and bumper I purchased from HKC Speed. Carbon fiber garnish I purchased from Madrig. 10/10 would purchase from both again (definitely will btw)

I'm done with the butt of this beauty for now. I'll move on to the front end after my divorce when I have money again [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Not sure how I want to go about the front end. Do I need to do a full nose cut or can I just swap for a sports bumper and jdm headlights?

I have a jdm honeycomb grill in storage, and the corners of my headlights are cracked and will need to be replaced.3f2d57a3fd71726df9f057bb32b17f1b.jpga541ef87b5b245a4f5e0423bc044be41.jpg9a17eafdfb300e0cb7db29a36c8a5e5a.jpg

Edited by d.j.zielie

Sports bumper is pre facelift. That’s what I have. It is a one piece grill and bumper. If you don’t plan on doing post facelift on it I wouldn’t suggest spending the $ on pre facelift JDM headlights. Just get a clean set of OEM headlights and black out the housing and retrofit them...huge upgrade in both looks and light performance. I did my retrofit for under $300 and like 4hrs of my time.

If you want some pics of my retrofit and link where I got em let me know. Don’t wanna jack ur thread if u don’t care to c it

Lookin really good by the way!! Good choices so far

Edited by Wooosh

Sports bumper is pre facelift. That’s what I have. It is a one piece grill and bumper. If you don’t plan on doing post facelift on it I wouldn’t suggest spending the $ on pre facelift JDM headlights. Just get a clean set of OEM headlights and black out the housing and retrofit them...huge upgrade in both looks and light performance. I did my retrofit for under $300 and like 4hrs of my time.

If you want some pics of my retrofit and link where I got em let me know. Don’t wanna jack ur thread if u don’t care to c it

Lookin really good by the way!! Good choices so far

Go ahead. I dont mind at all. I know I could probably dig through your threads and find it, but the more info in more places helps everyone.