LegacyGT.com

Oldest car you ever driven in

KartRacerBoy

Curious about the membership's rides(not driven by you necessarily( in cool OLD cars. I've been lucky knowing many kinds of car guys. My list. I'm old so have had many opportunites.

1900s Stanley Steamer (sounded like it was going to explode every second)

1929 Packard (chauffer type car with an open driver's compartment and closed passenger compartment. Very cool rich neighbor)

1957 Chevy Nomad (family wagon as a kid in the 60s)

MGA (friends high school car)

Porsche 356 (friend in college - dad car)

Triumph TR3 (you could the ground sitting up in the over the low cut doors)

60s Chevy Corvair (family car )

1966 VW Bug as a kid (family car)

1967 Lincoln Cougar (high school friend's car)

Maserati Merak (test drive in the 90s,. didn't buy)

1971 Datsun 240Z (another family car bought new)

70s Opel Manta (college friends car)

1974 V6 Capri (gf's car in college in the 80s)

Passenger in a Radical racecar (held on for dear life)

Gramps had a very nice 1930 Model A. I took it out a few times and took my wife for a ride before we were married. It was a neat car that always received the attention it deserved. Aside from that, a few 60's muscle cars in form of Camaros, Firebirds, an Impala with a 327, Powerglide and one wheel peel. That car would do a mile long burnout lol. Then on to 80's/90's fox Mustangs, one of which I still own. My LGT is the newest car I have personally owned.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

'48 Studebaker Commander, just like the one in the picture and '52 MGTD.

They both belong to my Dad and when I was in HS in the '80s I drove the MGTD dozens of times. It's now restored to one of the most beautiful MG's you will ever see. It's been invited to many Concours' shows including Pebble Beach twice.

1930789036_48comander.thumb.jpg.0f6fb67d6a47517f8154543cd87b2a4a.jpg

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

AMC Pacer- Dont recall the year

Bel Air- I think it was a 57, 3 on the tree but 4 door

T-Bird- 1956 Fun car to drive but I found the steering wheel oddly large, like driving a semi

Camaro SS- 1969 It was 80% restored

RoadRunner- 1968 probably one of my favorites

Nova- 1976 I think, brown and ugly lol

VW Bus- Dont recall the year but it was a turd

I'm sure there's more I dont remember.

1. 1920 something Model T on my Uncle's farm. It went through EVERYTHING - ditches included! LOL

2. Not a car but rode on a single cylinder John Deere with all steel wheels on that same farm.

Can still remember the 'thunk thunk thunk thunk" of that cylinder :)

3. A 70 or 71 Datsun 510 with a 240z engine(with triple webers) under the hood. Crazy fast

4. 74 Corolla with a JDM 3TG engine(twin overhead cam version of the 3TC engine).

All stock suspension and brakes - sideways at 40mph :)

Many other rides too but these are the standouts.

Here's one of the older cars I have driven:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObC0EkvLZT0]Fiat124Spyder - YouTube[/ame]

And this was one model I did drive when in the military service, but they are decommissioned now.

And my first car was one of these:

Fun thing is this has the same ground clearance as the Subaru Outback.

The Volvo B18 and the Volvo B20 is basically the same engine block, just different cylinder bore diameter, and the B20 also have an added "ear" for the AC alternator that the B18 lacks.

453747.png

Sadly I did see that Irv Gordon recently passed away:

dnlgneky5i5vqin7moua.jpg

Irv Gordon, the man from Long Island who broke the Guinness World Record for highest vehicle mileage on a single vehicle when the Volvo P1800 he’s owned since new passed three million miles in 2013, has died at 77.

The news of Irv’s death came from his daughter, who posted about it on Facebook, and was picked up by the Facebook page dedicated to him and his Volvo P1800 adventures.

https://jalopnik.com/irv-gordon-the-hero-who-drove-his-volvo-p1800-over-3-2-1830495369

453747.png

Over a long life I've had the privilege to ride in, drive, and own some very special cars. MY list (from memory) is below, starting with the oldest. I'll try to add some pictures later:

1911 Rolls Royce (passenger)

1917 Detroit Electric (passenger)

1931 Ford Model A (driver)

1934 Packard town car, coachwork by Dietrich (driver)

1937 Cord 812SC (driver)

1939 Chevrolet coupe (passenger)

1940 Dodge sedan (passenger)

1950 Jaguar XK-120 (driver)

1951 Riley RMB 2.5 (owner/driver)

1953 MG-TD (passenger)

1953 Jaguar MK-VII (owner/driver)

~1953 Austin-Healey 100-4 (owner/driver)

1957 Ferrari Testa Rossa 4-cylinder RHD ex-race car (driver)

... a succession of 1950s DeSotos (passenger; DeSotos were my grandfather's favorite cars)

(1960s and later ... too many to recall)

The Rolls-Royce, Packard, Cord, and Ford Model A were all from the collection of James C. Leake, of Muskogee, OK. Mr. Leake no longer owned the Ford when I drove it, but he had restored it before passing it on as "college transportation" to his nephew, who was/is a long-time friend of mine. Mr. Leake had a strange notion about the cars in his collection: He would not own a car that he was unwilling to drive on the street, and he made it a point to do just that at least once a year with every car in his collection of ~100 vehicles. And that is how I got my ride in the very special Rolls, which had originally been custom built for the Maharaja of Mysore in India. Further, Mr. Leake wouldn't dream of trailering one of his cars to a show if it was within reasonable driving distance of his museum/garage. And that is how, one fine spring day, I got to drive the Packard ~50 miles on public roads, from home base in Muskogee to a car show; even better, I got to drive the Cord back home from that show.

Similarly, the owner of the Detroit Electric (a personal friend who prefers to remain anonymous) keeps it licensed and occasionally drives it on the street. This particular Detroit Electric is unique in that it has never been restored; except for the tires and batteries (and possibly headlights) it is all original ... even the wool upholstery. The owner also has the original battery charger, which looks like something from the set of the movie Frankenstein.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1911 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Victoria originally built for the Maharaja of Mysore. The rear seat could be elevated above the level of the front seat backs, which was done for parades or (reportedly) for a better view while hunting tigers from the car. The umbrella was provided, as a benevolent gesture, for the comfort of the Maharaja's footmen. More at https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19289/lot/221/. (Photo: Bonham's Auction)

attachment.php?attachmentid=271917&d=1546203142

1917 Detroit Electric. Steering is by tiller bar, and there are two sets of controls so the car can be driven from either the front or back seat. At a time when Ford Model Ts were going for ~$400 (new), the Detroit Electric was priced at ~$4500. In the photo below you can see dirt on the tire treads and on the underside of the right front fender, indicating that the car has been driven recently. Sharp eyes will spot the OE bud vases attached to the door pillars, as well as note that the OE air conditioning (a moveable pane at the top of the windshield) is still turned on. (personal photo)

attachment.php?attachmentid=271918&d=1546204658

8363096-1-1.thumb.jpg.156a4b0490c1aef20352f686366175b7.jpg

P8110353_filtered.thumb.jpg.a686b5f24bd168a16dfcff03dc0d63d4.jpg

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
Curious about the membership's rides(not driven by you necessarily( in cool OLD cars. I've been lucky knowing many kinds of car guys. My list. I'm old so have had many opportunites.

The ones I can remember are the ones that I did actually drive (I've been driving for about 55 years). And not just once or twice; these were either mine or primarily available to me.

1956-ish Chevy 2-door (not positive about the year any more). OHV inline 6, 3 on the tree

1956 Dodge. Flathead inline 6, 2-barrel carburetor

1957 Pontiac Star Chief. 347 4-barrel, fluid-coupling 4-speed automatic (mine)

1960 Plymouth Valiant . . . with a 318 with 2 x 4-barrel carburetion, Torqueflite automatic swapped in (mine, but not my swap)

There was some older Pontiac that I "drove" once or twice in a field behind a friend's house. Pushbutton starter switch.

An Austin-Healey Sprite (bug-eye, year unknown). Drove this one on the street (licensed).

And a couple of cars belonging to an uncle that I drove, also after I got my license, 1961 Oldsmobile (394, 4-barrel) and a 1962-ish Corvair.

Norm

1920 Essex with a V8 chopped roof (Friend car)

1940s GMC Pickup w/LS1 (Friend car)

1976 Chevy Nova roll cage, 4-speed manual w/454 supercharger (My car)

1970s street/race Chevy El' Camino with a 502 (Cousin car)

1972 Mercury Cougar (Father car)

1970s Buick Skylark (Father car)

1960s Chevy Corvair (Father car)

Ford Zephyr MK3 or MK4 (Father car)

Ford Montego (Uncle car)

1960s Mercury Comet (Cousin car)

1979 Toyota Supra (Cousin car)

1970s Datsun 240z (Uncle car)

1970s AMC Hornet (Cousin car)

1950s Ford LTD (Cousin car)

1950s Packard (Old coworker car)

1960s Ford Falcon or Country Station Wagon (Grandfather car)

1970s Volkswagen Camper

1970s Chevy Vega's

1970s Jeep CJ5 (Friend car before he sold it)

1970s Ford Bronco (Friend car before he sold it)

1970s AMC Gremlin (Father cousin car)

This is all I can remember right now. I'm sure there were other vehicles. I have to think way back.

Archived