LegacyGT.com

Did I get screwed paying $10k for this car?

:lol: me too. I used to keep list of all my expenditures on my cars. Years ago, I added it up one day and was horrified to see how I spent on my cars, especially my daily driver. At this point I try to keep my daily drivers stock or near stock and i don’t keep track of expenses; ignorance is bliss when comes to how much I spent modifying and maintaining my cars.

I still keep a spreadsheet for insurance purposes. The other day though I had one of those renowns epiphanies when I realized by now I could have bought quite a few cars cash (BMW, Audi, etc). Then I drive the Spec B and all of that goes away (thankfully)

Still shocked that I was able to get my '05 GT wagon with 5K miles on it for $21,000 from a dealership in Salt Lake. It was a dealer demo technically owned by Subaru corporate so they set the price of the car at the end of the year.

I guess its how you look at it, once I decided that I loved my '05 GT wagon enough to keep it long term, (meaning at some point it wouldn't be my daily driver), it kind of took a load off my shoulders. For me, long term meant that regardless of what happened to the car, I'd keep it in good nick to enjoy. Obviously, that long term decision was easier to make the day I bought another car for a daily. If that mean't not driving it for a few months if I had to fix it (or save up some funds to have it worked on), so be it. I ended up taking the track car route with it so the car is set up accordingly but I could have easily set it up as a weekend canyon tosser, (and sometimes wish I did...). At this point the only scenario I can see to get rid of it is wadding it up at the track.

I will admit that if I was in my college kid years and/or on a strapped budget, I would't advise buying a turbo Subie. Either way, most car enthusiasts will tell you that if you're really drawn to the car then the price is pretty subjective.

I'll have to say I'm one that is glad I use my car as a DD. With proper maintenance and care with a great tune...the car is reliable...knock on wood.

I enjoy knowing that all the highway miles I put on the car, with all the small chips in the front paint, I would hate to do that to a new car.

I will say the previous owner of my Spec B did have the 3M clear tape put over the front end. Granted it only has 86,000 miles but has couple chips in the paint.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

previous owner of my Spec B did have the 3M clear tape put over the front end. Granted it only has 86,000 miles but has couple chips in the paint.

Same case for me, except my Spec B is in the low 180k range and the 3M clear tape has had better days. I've debated taking it off but I'm afraid the paint will peel right off along with it.

Archived