LegacyGT.com

Blue Sedan or Black Wagon?

HBZ

Which would you get?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you get?

• Regal Blue Sedan
    • Obsidian Black Wagon

I'm getting close to buying a Legacy GT but I keep going back and forth on which style to get. I'm looking at a Regal Blue sedan or Obsidian Black wagon. Both are Limiteds, I gotta have the sunroof and leather icon_cool.gif. The wagon would be about $1500 more.

The wagon: The main reason I'm looking at the wagon is for the huge sunroof, I have kids and they would think that was pretty cool. I don't really need the extra cargo space most of the time. It would be handy, but if I need to haul stuff the wife has a Honda Odessey or my dad has a truck I can borrow. Even though the wife has an Odessey, my car would probably be the family trip car. She doesn't like to drive it on long trips herself and she doesn't like me driving "her car". In black the wagon looks pretty nice. Red would be better, I wouldn't even be asking this question then, but I can't find one in manual anymore. icon_frown.gif

The sedan: I wish it had folding seats, the trunk is still probably 2-3 times the size of my current one though (the Galant VR-4 doesn't have much of a trunk). The Regal Blue looks really nice in pictures. I haven't seen it in person yet, maybe I'll get to do a test drive this weekend.

It really comes down to looks, the sunroof and the price. So, if you had the choice what would you go for?

With the kids, the wagon is the way to go. Better weight distribution, more room for kiddie stuff, and with the extra interior space, the shreiking is not as loud. Saw several black wagons at the Bay Area meet and greet last Saturday, and the black wagon is HOT.

Personally Im not one for the grocery getter, even though there are a few fast estates out there, they just dont peak my interest. With you having kids etc and all the stuff u will have to carry, the GG might be the option for for a daily driver I would much prefer the 4 door to the 5. Regardless which combo you do decided on, you are going to have a lot of fun cleaning as RB and OB arn't the easiest colours to keep clean.

All the best with your purchase, and they say that usually yr first idea was the right one. Test drive both and get a feel before making a rash decision.

Take care.

Ada///M.

One more thing. I checked with my insurance and they're quoting me a higher price for the wagon, $700, vs $570 (6 months). I thought the wagon was cheaper to insure. Are they classifying it as a truck like the Outback? Did someone goof? The only difference I see in the quotes is a "Driver Class" line - the wagon is 55, the sedan is 97.

No question: wagon.

Wagons hold lots more stuff. The sedan's rear seat doesn't fold down, which is a major minus in my book. Wagons give all of the benefits of the LGT sedan--decent handling, good acceleration, ABS, tolerable gas mileage (compared to SUVs and such), etc.--without any significant liabilities. Plus, as you observed, the wagon sunroof is superior to the sedan one.

This is irrespective of the color of the car. That doesn't matter to me; none of the LGT colors are bad.

black wagon!!! my, when i trade in my sedan, i wanna get a black wagon, but family likes the white...

anyhow, I've owned the 05' sedan and now the 06' wagon....(both in white..:icon_neut) The wagon is a total sleeper, the mastang beside you wouldnt know what hit him...(even in my 2.5i, haha) and if u go on trips alot...(ski trips for me), wagon is the way to go...i have a love hate towards the looks though....i like the sideway view, but not particularly a fan of the rear gate...

sedan has it's goods too...I would say the two c-pillar down to the trunk is the most sexy part of that car...the ride is more quiet for sure (more insulation between the trunk and rear seats, as i was told), but at highway speeds, it is less stable compare to the wagon (could be the weight distribution? or wind drag?)

At the end though, if i have to choose between the two, i would go for the wagon again...coz i love to be the "sleeper" and the "go on trips-er" ...haha..and for all the leggie wagons i've seen (i've seen all the colors, but red), the black is most definitely the best looking..it's got that mysterious look going when you see it on a clear evening under city lights...

If I had my decision to "do-over" again, I'd have gone with the wagon.

IMveryHO, the '05+ LGT wagons are one of the best-proportioned, aesthetically, automobiles out there, hatch, sedan, wagon, all-said. :)

Not much performance loss - and you get a lot more room in-trade. Plus that HUGE moonroof, which I'm a sucker for, too.....

And definitely, now that the wifey and I have begun shopping, in earnest, for our soon-to-be (due 01/01/06), I can definitely see where the extra room would be very nice to have. I, too, come from a 4G63/DSM background, brother - albeit from the hatchback side - and while I, too, thought that the sedan's trunk offers plenty of room, I now can definitely see the benefit of having even more.

Besides, you'll then be able to put up a small "You just got beat by a wagon!" sticker on your rear window. And that's just simply AWESOME! :lol:

---

In addition to insurance concerns, what's your decision about manual-vs.-auto? Unless you're looking at '05s for remaining stickshifts or are definite on getting an auto, this is a big decision factor, too!

---

Best of luck with your pending purchase!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Regardless which combo you do decided on, you are going to have a lot of fun cleaning as RB and OB arn't the easiest colours to keep clean.

My Galant is black so I know what you mean. It's 15 years old though and I've been letting the maintenance slide a bit. I'll have to get back in the habit. I don't think there is a light color I like though, no white (sorry drewster!) or silver for me. ABP is nice but the only place I could find one in wagon form wanted full MSRP. No way to that!

In addition to insurance concerns, what's your decision about manual-vs.-auto? Unless you're looking at '05s for remaining stickshifts or are definite on getting an auto, this is a big decision factor, too!
Manual definitely. There are still a few manual wagons around. If they disappear, well then the decision is made for me or I look at Outback XTs. I did test drive an auto wagon, I could live with the auto but I probably wouldn't be happy in the long run.

Saw several black wagons at the Bay Area meet and greet last Saturday, and the black wagon is HOT.
There may be one more at the next meet then. :icon_bigg

I have had my SWP sedan for 14 months now and I have kicked myself a few times for not considering the wagon. I love the looks of the sedan, but a wagon especially modded is one heck of a sleeper!

I would jump on that OBP manual wagon before its gone.

i have a black OBXT wagon. cops dont even flinch when I speed past them. They probably think I am running late to my kid's play or something, and thats fine. As long as I dont get pulled over again like I did 3 times in 2 years with my legacy 03 sedan

Wagon bashing is for men who are uncomfortable with their manhood. ;)

+100

Is this poll for real? Everyone knows that the wagon pwns the sedan in every way, just starting with the fact that it looks way better:cool:

Be cool and get the wagon. Especialy in black. It looks M-E-A-N.

I assume you (thread starter) have owned a black car before and know what is involved in keeping it looking good?

Is this poll for real? Everyone knows that the wagon pwns the sedan in every way, just starting with the fact that it looks way better:cool:

Be cool and get the wagon. Especialy in black. It looks M-E-A-N.

I assume you (thread starter) have owned a black car before and know what is involved in keeping it looking good?

Yep this poll's for real. I think I started it because the wife is pushing for sedan, friends are saying sedan and I had sedan in mind at first. Then I saw the wagon's sunroof.... Now I just want to make sure I'm not overcompensating for my current car's tiny trunk and lack of a sunroof by going for the model with the most cargo space and the biggest frickin' sunroof I can find. :icon_bigg

My GVR-4 is black so yeah, I know what I'm in for. Black is alright but probably wouldn't have been my first choice. There's not a lot to choose from when it comes to manual wagons these days. There's an Atlantic Blue available but the neighbors down the street already have an ABP Outback.

Archived