LegacyGT.com

2009 legacy acting up

hello.i have a 2009 Subaru legacy 2.5L,4 cyl, special edition(non turbo),automatic.74560 miles.this is my first Subaru ever.i owned the car for 4 months,had been working fine.2 weeks ago as i was getting out parking space turning wheels,driving back the car started to shave for few seconds and just turned off.put car in parking,turned key on and car started fine.drove 14 mile back home no problem.a week later again coming out parking lot turned wheel driving back and forward car started to idle down and shake just few seconds,i had to press gas pedal a bit then was fine,drove for 3 minutes and car just turned off while driving at 25 MPR.check engine light came on ,also the track light on,and the cruise light blinking.got car on parking turned the key on and started just fine.got home ,plugged my actron CP9180 scanner to the car port and it showed code P0303 and P0304.cylinder 3 and 4 misfire.used scanner to erase codes,turned the car on and fine.next day car started fine.drove fine.then later same thing car just turned off while on parking.started car drove back and forward started to idle down and shake,check engine,track light on and cruise light blinking.again got code scanner and same codes came on.erase codes.started car,wife went to the mall and came back home she told me car drove just fine,no problem.this thing is happening but not all the time.the car star just fine in the morning after been park overnight.i am thinking replacing PCV valve.and spark plugs.but before i stared to spend money(i am a disable man,do not have money to waste),if there any one that can point me to a right direction.thanks you

Spark plugs have a 30k replacement interval on the NA. Any Idea if maybe prior owner changed them at 60k? They may be 15k over due. Also I’d pull a plug wire and make sure its dry. The orings in the valve cover can leak and fill the spark plug well with a good amount of oil. Hows your oil level? My 09 NA impreza did a similar behavior and after topping off the oil the behavior went away. IIRC the code i got was for the avics but I may be wrong.

thanks for the help.oil level is good.this car belonged to a state trooper in Md,he many had not used a lot because around here a 2009 car normally has easy more than 100,000 mile.this trooper sold the car to my son friend,and he sold it to me to make some cash.so i do not know how long was spark plug replaced if any,i do know the car had oil/filter service done,for the way this car looks seem it was well taking care,dry and clean.it has the sticker of service in windshield.i just went i got 4 AC Delco double platinum spark plugs.will ask my son to help me change it and see.this evening went to visit a friend at the hospital,started the car,no problem,drove 8 miles.parked the car for about 40 minutes,then started the car and again idle wen down and shaking.i turned the car off,then on.no CEL light on.drove to auto part store,no problem,then went to buy kids MacDonald,had to wait in a car line for like 10 minutes.no problem.stop at gas station,drove back home 8 miles and no problem.is wire this thing.

took the car to a guy that used to be a Subaru dealer mechanic.he has own garage.he told me look like spark plugs were not good.was suppose to check for other problems like coil.he told me to take the AC Delco double platinum spark plug i purchased back.he changed the plugs with NkG plugs.charged me $120.i drove the car 10 miles and was fine,then later same day,started to have the same problems.P0303 and 04.i erased the code.next day car started just fine.took kids to school.coming out parking lot car started to shake and rpm going down,had to press gas so it will not go off.got home crawling.let the car on shaking.took spark plug wire on cyl 3 and stay the same no change,same thing after removing wire on cyl 4.so my deduction is a ex-faulty and now bad ignition coil.it has spark on cyl 1 and 2.so the coil is not trowing spark on 3 and 4.ordered a new Subaru coil by internet.the coil it has has no marking(who makes it) at all,that let me think that the factory coil was replaced with a cheap coil,so in couple days i will install new coil hoping car will run good.

I recently replaced my ignition coil as well. From what I've read through reviews, one of the bad things about some (most it seems) aftermarket coils is that it seems they don't allow the spark plug wires to "click" into the coil, which makes me feel like they're more secure in the coil. That's also the reason why I'll only use oem spark plug wires, people say aftermarket wires don't click into the coil.

So basically, I'm wondering if the connection between the spark plug wires and the coil was poor, causing misfires. Either way, hopefully the new coil pack fixes the problem. I agree with going with NGK plugs too.

*oh, and of course, the unmarked aftermarket coil could have just failed too obviously.

Kinda funny, I recently bought an ngk coil pack because the pictures online made it look like it was oem Subaru/diamond, just cheaper and with a 3yr warranty instead of 1yr warranty.. low and behold, the pictures were right, Subaru coil pack with ngk stamped on it. I know it's somewhat common for that to happen, oem parts in aftermarket boxes, I just haven't experienced it much myself.

ngkcoil.thumb.jpg.ad11a70e69f4478e1f5713d77f2a4dcf.jpg

I know it's somewhat common for that to happen, oem parts in aftermarket boxes, I just haven't experienced it much myself.

NAPA and RockAuto are pretty good about foot-stomping which parts are sourced by OEM suppliers. Such information is elusive at times but can be found with determination. :)

the one i purchased is Subaru/diamond.supposed to come tomorrow in the AM.delay on delivery,only takes 20 minutes to install the whole thing.now is there is a way like a video or picture how to test a Subaru galacy ignition coil?.i like testing thing that brakes.the broken one has the plug site for 1--3 and 2--4 cylinders.and the connector had 4 pins.

thanks,will try to buy me the repair manual.i installed the new coil and drove car(i am disable fro my left side of body,but was able to install part myself,was easy),and the problem is gone.now i need to task the next problem.the tire pressure sensor when starting car,it will blink,then it stay on solid.i been told is one or more TPMS bad.my question.do i need to go to Subaru dealer to have this fix?,or can i go to other place?can it be reset without fixing the problem?.i ask because i do have much $$$,will take car to have this TPMS problem fix after winter is gone.thanks guys for all you help.

• 1 month later...

TPMS light could be several things: sensors it finds aren't programmed in, sensor battery is dead, system has some other fault...

Personally, I just shrug it off and check my tire pressures once a week. I'm not paying $130 at the dealer twice a year to have each set of tires' sensors programmed in. If a sensor battery is dead, I'm not wearing out the bead to replace it: I'll just wait until the tire gets replaced to address it.

When I started driving 20 years ago only high-end luxury and sports cars had TPMS. I live just fine without it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Archived