LegacyGT.com

Goodbye Goodyears! Thanks for 92,880 miles!!

• 3 weeks later...

After 40k miles, we finally got rid of the POS Goodyear Eagle LS2's. BY FAR the worst tire I've ever experienced on a car of all time. Noisy, wears terribly, handling was mediocre at best, and even brand new we were displeased with how they handled any snow.

I am surprised that anyone could get 50k+ on these tires, but only could imagine it's possible due to 90%+ highway driven with the wheel pointed straight.

On tirerack.com the Goodyear Eagle LS2 is literally the cheapest tire you can get for our Legacy's (I know there are indeed cheaper off brand name tires you can probably get elsewhere). Even my mechanic who took them off said he replaces LS2's most often before they are bald and right before winter because so many people hate them.

We decided to go with some quality tires this time around. Went with Continental ExtremeContact DSW06. NIGHT AND DAY difference so far. Better in every aspect and I look forward to putting many miles on these bad boys. My wife even told me that she can't believe that JUST TIRES makes such a difference in the handling and feel of a car...that it's like we replaced parts of the suspension. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

We also go fresh new rear pads and rotors.....apparently our 6th gen Legacys EAT rear brakes like it's their job so I guess we should get used to the $320 repair every 40k / 2 years....disappointing, but I guess I would prefer this to other repairs.

zQAqt2M.jpg

0Kp1Hqp.jpg

uy0mMQQ.jpg

After 40k miles, we finally got rid of the POS Goodyear Eagle LS2's. BY FAR the worst tire I've ever experienced on a car of all time. Noisy, wears terribly, handling was mediocre at best, and even brand new we were displeased with how they handled any snow.

I am surprised that anyone could get 50k+ on these tires, but only could imagine it's possible due to 90%+ highway driven with the wheel pointed straight.

On tirerack.com the Goodyear Eagle LS2 is literally the cheapest tire you can get for our Legacy's (I know there are indeed cheaper off brand name tires you can probably get elsewhere). Even my mechanic who took them off said he replaces LS2's most often before they are bald and right before winter because so many people hate them.

We decided to go with some quality tires this time around. Went with Continental ExtremeContact DSW06. NIGHT AND DAY difference so far. Better in every aspect and I look forward to putting many miles on these bad boys. My wife even told me that she can't believe that JUST TIRES makes such a difference in the handling and feel of a car...that it's like we replaced parts of the suspension. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

We also go fresh new rear pads and rotors.....apparently our 6th gen Legacys EAT rear brakes like it's their job so I guess we should get used to the $320 repair every 40k / 2 years....disappointing, but I guess I would prefer this to other repairs.

zQAqt2M.jpg

0Kp1Hqp.jpg

uy0mMQQ.jpg

84k on my original brakes. Your driving style must really lean on brakes because there's still life left in mine, so says the dealer.

And I now have 50k on my second set of Goodyears. I won't be buying another set but will probably go Michelin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

84k on my original brakes. Your driving style must really lean on brakes because there's still life left in mine, so says the dealer.

And I now have 50k on my second set of Goodyears. I won't be buying another set but will probably go Michelin.

Rear brakes? our dealer claims 40 - 50k out of the rear brakes are normal. I asked on here once before and it seems a lot of people's experience is approx the same.

Car has been to the dealer for all maintenance, except all of this, which they wanted to charge us approximately another $600 - 700 vs. what we paid from our always reliable and honest mechanic.

I will agree though, that driving style has much to do with the wearing of brakes & tires. I tend to drive with my feet in the radiator. My wife is calmer but we are both more on the "spirited" side of the spectrum I am sure. Also we commute on a lot of mountainous and twisty roads, which has to take a toll as well.

Rear brakes? our dealer claims 40 - 50k out of the rear brakes are normal. I asked on here once before and it seems a lot of people's experience is approx the same.

Car has been to the dealer for all maintenance, except all of this, which they wanted to charge us approximately another $600 - 700 vs. what we paid from our always reliable and honest mechanic.

I will agree though, that driving style has much to do with the wearing of brakes & tires. I tend to drive with my feet in the radiator. My wife is calmer but we are both more on the "spirited" side of the spectrum I am sure. Also we commute on a lot of mountainous and twisty roads, which has to take a toll as well.

Yes, including the rear brakes.

They have to be getting to the bottom of the barrel so on my next service I'll look for the wear numbers and begin a possible plan to replace them. Or do it myself.

On top of that and tires I'm going to spend a chunk on the car this year. Really should have the plugs changed and CVT inspected, too.

Yes, including the rear brakes.

They have to be getting to the bottom of the barrel so on my next service I'll look for the wear numbers and begin a possible plan to replace them. Or do it myself.

On top of that and tires I'm going to spend a chunk on the car this year. Really should have the plugs changed and CVT inspected, too.

Wow! We were going to get the CVT flushed at 50k but that will come in the next 6 months so I am going to let it go. We have a 5 year / 100k warranty but I am pretty sure this will get traded in for a Forester before then.

Checked in to the tire store today. Oddly enough he said he couldn't recommend Michelin tires. The two he looked up he told me he wasn't confident in because of short tread life or improper wear. One would think since the tires are $50 each more expensive than the tires he recommended he would be glad to sell them. But he didn't.

When I brought up Continental (based on recommendations here) he found two that he recommended and really likes. Each are going to be well over $800 installed.

So it looks like I'll probably go with one of the Cont. Will update.

Checked in to the tire store today. Oddly enough he said he couldn't recommend Michelin tires. The two he looked up he told me he wasn't confident in because of short tread life or improper wear. One would think since the tires are $50 each more expensive than the tires he recommended he would be glad to sell them. But he didn't.

When I brought up Continental (based on recommendations here) he found two that he recommended and really likes. Each are going to be well over $800 installed.

So it looks like I'll probably go with one of the Cont. Will update.

Thanks for that post. I've always heard good things about Michelin (especially the quietness) hence the reason for my earlier post to you. Because I am a bit of a cynic, I just wonder if the dealer you went to has a kick back deal of some sort with Continental and so even selling cheaper Continentals are a better deal for him than selling the more expensive Michelins. I might well be completely wrong .... but I personally would always check with a couple of other dealers before I took the word of just one. If they all said the same thing then go for the Conti's ... and if you do, then post back if you are happy, and I'll add them to my tire list as well.

I came across this link below .... it may be of help .... of course the writer may be doing exactly what I said about your dealer and might be in the Michelin camp :lol: I guess all we can do is go for what we think is the best at the time.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires/how-to-buy-long-lasting-tires

I just ordered the Conti True Contact Tour for mine. Got 65k on the stickers and they still have some life left. No problems with my rear brakes needing to be done either.

$650ish from Tore Rack. Reviews were hard to ignore, I’m usually partial to Bridgestone.

Should be getting them on soon.

Thanks for that post. I've always heard good things about Michelin (especially the quietness) hence the reason for my earlier post to you. Because I am a bit of a cynic, I just wonder if the dealer you went to has a kick back deal of some sort with Continental and so even selling cheaper Continentals are a better deal for him than selling the more expensive Michelins. I might well be completely wrong .... but I personally would always check with a couple of other dealers before I took the word of just one. If they all said the same thing then go for the Conti's ... and if you do, then post back if you are happy, and I'll add them to my tire list as well.

I came across this link below .... it may be of help .... of course the writer may be doing exactly what I said about your dealer and might be in the Michelin camp :lol: I guess all we can do is go for what we think is the best at the time.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires/how-to-buy-long-lasting-tires

Now that you bring it up, I'll admit that I've wondered the same thing. Your advice to get a few more opinions on the matter is good and I will likely do just that. I kept Michelins on my previous car and was happy with them.

Thanks for the link.

Talked to the tire guy about Michelins, asked him about wear concerns and tread life complaints I'd heard about, specifically the Pilot Sport A/S 3.

He explained that Michelin had many complaints about the tire and they made improvements. Told me the current tire was different and would last much longer.

That was the end of my conversation about the brand.

Due to comments here on the forums and some reviews online I had begun to lean towards the Contis. At the same time I've also seen poor reviews of Michelin.

So Yesterday I called and order up the Conti Dsw06 Extreme Contact. Today they were installed. Much like many of you have probably experienced they changed the car completely.

No more vibrato roar. Much better ride, like new again. Car reacts to steering inputs faster. Everything is improved. Initial impressions are good but worthless. We'll see how they do in a few thousand miles.

FWIW, the Conti True Contact tire is a performance step down with a slightly better ride and a 90k tread wear warranty, IIRC. I nearly cancelled the Extremes (50k mi)and ordered the True Contact to get more miles from the tires. But 1) I committed to and had them order the Extreme, and 2) if all works out like I want I'll be trading this car in on a 2021 before the tires need replaced again.

The True Contacts are the same price, just not as sporty, and have a longer life in theory. Were I to start over I'd order those. In the meantime I'll burn these up and see if they last until I trade.

Talked to the tire guy about Michelins, asked him about wear concerns and tread life complaints I'd heard about, specifically the Pilot Sport A/S 3.

He explained that Michelin had many complaints about the tire and they made improvements. Told me the current tire was different and would last much longer.

That was the end of my conversation about the brand.

Due to comments here on the forums and some reviews online I had begun to lean towards the Contis. At the same time I've also seen poor reviews of Michelin.

So Yesterday I called and order up the Conti Dsw06 Extreme Contact. Today they were installed. Much like many of you have probably experienced they changed the car completely.

No more vibrato roar. Much better ride, like new again. Car reacts to steering inputs faster. Everything is improved. Initial impressions are good but worthless. We'll see how they do in a few thousand miles.

Thanks Shooter ... good info. Personally I'm not interested in "sport" ... I just want the "ride" so it would seem the True Contacts would suit me better. I'll be looking forward to your update in a few thousand miles.

Archived