LegacyGT.com

Anyone notice their 3.6 oil level?

I'm about 500 miles past due for an oil change.. I'm at 48,754.. Noticed on the dipstick oil level is on the lower marker.. Can't get it changed until next week.. Was gonna top it off with some 5w30 conventional.. Anyone notice their level dropping as normal? Or better yet anyone switch to using synthetic? I constantly have to make sure the dealership knows I have the 3.6...

Especially when they put the reminder sticker for the 4 cyl on the windshield .. I would love to be able to go 5k between changes.. Only 3k with conventional...

My preference is synthetics and my dealership only uses synthetics 5w-30 for the H-6.

Now reading the dip stick is more of an art....the vehicle needs to be level ground etc. etc. etc. Now all vehicles do use some oil but the amount which is within specs are explained :rtfm:.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

In the manual it recommends conventional for the H6. Not synthetic 5w30.

Conventional 5w30. They must have had a reason to opt for that? The 2.5 is definitely synthetic... It does suck having to change every 3k.. After my 2.5 went thru the crappy head gasket issue... The H6 doesn't seem to have had the same problems, just like the 2.5 turbo. I am rambling at this point. Lol.

In the manual it recommends conventional for the H6. Not synthetic 5w30.

Conventional 5w30.

Not quite. Have you actually read the Owners Manual?

"3.6 L models ...

Your vehicle is designed to use 5W-30

conventional motor oil, however 5W-30

synthetic may be used for optimum

engine performance."

It does suck having to change every 3k.
No. Have you actually read the Warranty & Maintenance Guide? The specified oil change interval is 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first. Don't blame Subaru if you choose to do it more often.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I got my 2016 3.6R about a year ago. I switched to synthetic my first oil change. Checked a couple times the first few thousand miles and the amount seemed fine. I have about 1000 miles left before I change it again. I'm changing it at 29k then I will again at 35k, then I'll just stick to every 5k to make it easy to remember.

... .. I would love to be able to go 5k between changes.. Only 3k with conventional...

So who told you 3K? That used to be conventional "wisdom" - at least in North America.

Some dealers will tell you 3K to get you coming in more often, whether for oil or up-sells.

The manual is your best friend -- 6K conventional or synthetic. Your warranty and maintenance guide will show you the intervals clearly. Anyone who differs with your manual doesn't know enough.

I only use sythetics in everything and don't pay much attention to the owners manual as its typically a minimum oil spec rather than the best oil spec.

Running Castrol EDGE 10W-60 in all three of may cars. Would run it in my bike as well but it has special requirements for the clutch and its a extreme performance engine compared to just about anything on 4 wheels so the best you can get here is 10W-40.

Thanks for the replies. The 3.6 is DESIGNED to use conventional, not synthetic. From the factory it comes with conventional, not SYNTHETIC. I'm sticking with conventional and nobody in their right mind would push conventional;NOT A BLEND to 6k.

Where have all the 2005-2009 Legacy 2.5 non-turbo's gone? I very rarely see one anymore because they all BLEW THEIR HEADS. Pun intended. I got my insurance company to pay the 4.5k it cost to repair... Then it caught on fire because a trans cooler line had cracked from being reused instead of replaced spraying trans fluid on the manifold. That was fun. I do see 2.5 turbo's and H6 3.0's. The 4 door Legacy outback H6 was a funky car, kinda wish I could jack mine up with outback suspension, lol.

Your choice, I wouldn't put a mineral oil in an old banger that I was trying to blow up.

I run USED synthetic in my old Outback because it leaks oil all over the place and the head gasket is gone but it still runs.

Mineral oils are dead, I have seen the difference in race engines I have stripped down, its a no contest.

I have a 15' 3.6r and have been in using synthetic since i bought it.. yeah they say 6k between changes but my Dealer changes mine at 5k and I've noticed around that mileage I tend to be at yge Low Level as well.. I don't drive hard just long distance almost 99k but this is typical Boxer Engine along with the Low Coolant..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies. The 3.6 is DESIGNED to use conventional, not synthetic. From the factory it comes with conventional, not SYNTHETIC. I'm sticking with conventional and nobody in their right mind would push conventional;NOT A BLEND to 6k.

… but if you RTM, Synthetic CAN be used for 'Performance Reasons'. Been using Synth in mine for the last 4 years.

Good Subaru oil story. Bought a 2012 Forester LTD in Feb 2016 for the boy to replace the sweet little 2002 Impreza bug-eye wagon I picked up that sort of got totaled (that is another story, but he wasn't hurt). The Foz was clean and a great deal the Subie dealer because they priced it as a Premium.

Driving the Foz last May and it was sort of rapping. He said it was 'piston slap' and I told him that was the earlier 2.5's like the Impreza which did have it. Pulled the dipstick. No oil. Was 4000k since the last oil change and I never really checked or had to put oil in it. Typical for the last 8 Subaru's I owned because I am religious on getting the oil changed.

Added two quarts. Nothing. Added 2 more quarts. Still nothing. Added another quart (5 if you aren't counting). Finally! Oil on the dipstick. I was freaked out.

Googled it. Found that 'oil consumption' was a known issue. Requested an 'oil consumption test' where Subaru would cover 8 years 100k and we were at 97k. Had to use so much oil in 1200 miles. Heh. We passed the mark at 800. Dealer had already arranged for a new engine block replacement. Handed the boy a 2018 Forester with 900 miles on it for 9 days while his was being serviced.

Got it back, runs like it is brand new, AND DIDN'T COST A CENT!

Archived