LegacyGT.com

Unusually long engine cranking time during cold weather- 2015

that would be this one

TSB Number: 11-162-16 NHTSA Number: 10140494 TSB Date: April 5, 2016 Date Added to File: June 11, 2018 Failing Component: Engine (Pws) Summary: Reprogramming file availability for extended engine cranking (delayed starting) and engine oil level detection improvement. This bulletin announces availability of reprogramming files to address customer concerns of extended cranking time

OK, the reason I asked you to do that is to check and see if the fuel pressure is draining off. It should not drain off in a day but if the car sits for an extended period of time it will drain off somewhat. if the fuel pressure is draining off it means one of the following is true

1. bad check valve

2. bad fuel pressure regulator (if so equipped)

3. leaky injector (this would not likely be intermittent)

I've heard of the outback having the same issue. In any case, I drive the car everyday, so I'd be hard pressed to diagnose a leak.

Will try and follow up. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

that would be this one

TSB Number: 11-162-16 NHTSA Number: 10140494 TSB Date: April 5, 2016 Date Added to File: June 11, 2018 Failing Component: Engine (Pws) Summary: Reprogramming file availability for extended engine cranking (delayed starting) and engine oil level detection improvement. This bulletin announces availability of reprogramming files to address customer concerns of extended cranking time

Hmmm. I will ask the dealer to follow up on this! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
My 15' did this yesterday when leaving work, I turned the key and was a long extended crank time. It started but sputtered and died. It did that 3 time until finally starting. Temp outside was 34 degrees. This morning it was 25 degrees and started fine.

Hey guys, quick update.

I got a check engine light yesterday and brought the car into the dealer.

Turns out that the Active Engine Grill Shutters were stuck, filled with snow and sand (Fairly odd since I wash my car regularly, even during winter. Obviously, I haven't gone mudding with a legacy...)

Anyhow, since the car was in, the dealer reprogrammed the Idle configuration and applied the alternator TSB.

Will update if this solved all issues!

On our 4th Subaru and here in MN the OEM batteries start to have issues after the second winter. I'm sure we could squeeze another winter or two out of them.

The last thing I want is my wife and kid stuck in a -15F walmart parking lot with a dead battery, so I replace the 390 CCA OEM battery with a 640 CCA battery at the first whiff of slow winter cranking. I can usually confirm a battery problem when I see starting voltage drop below 10v.

We get about eight years out of non-Subaru batteries. Currently, Costco's $80 for a Group 3 Interstate battery seems the best deal.

I still don't know why Subaru insists on putty crappy batteries in vehicles sold in cold climates. It's not like they saved much money or weight on an undersized battery. That and tires ... never had a car with as crummy tires from the factory as our Subaru's.

Hey guys, quick update.

I got a check engine light yesterday and brought the car into the dealer.

Turns out that the Active Engine Grill Shutters were stuck, filled with snow and sand (Fairly odd since I wash my car regularly, even during winter. Obviously, I haven't gone mudding with a legacy...)

Anyhow, since the car was in, the dealer reprogrammed the Idle configuration and applied the alternator TSB.

Will update if this solved all issues!

Washing car when cold can make the shutters freeze this time of the year.

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...

just a fyi had a 2019 2.5 premium as a loaner for 5 days and 3 of the 6 times I started the car it took more than 3 seconds to fire up...2014 starts within 1 .5 seconds... car has 2200 miles on it.

battery in my 2014 was replaced at 5 years and 40K miles...

Washing car when cold can make the shutters freeze this time of the year.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess :rolleyes: Anyhow, given the weather lately, I'm not sure that washing the car spews more water on it than just driving on the highway.

In any case, just a quick update for you guys. Although I can see that the battery is weaker than previous cars I've owned, I haven't had any further issues with the battery/starter since the TSB.

Voltages while driving or idling are around 14V at the OBD port and show 12.5V when the car is off.

Dealer will look at the car's alignment during my next service.

Archived