LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Legacy

Picky1

Need to get a 3rd car as we now have 4 drivers in the household (2 teens). Wasn't really looking to get another Subaru, but I stumbled across a clean 2009 Legacy with 119,000 miles for $4,995.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=498627915&LNX=MYATCALERTSEMLSRCH

Spoke with the guy and he has owned the car for 7 years and has replaced the timing belt, headgasket, brakes, and tires all within the last year. He is looking to sell it vs. trading it in for a new Outback. The only issue he noted was the TPMS light is on, but he stated that was a known issue with the 2009???

Is there any issues I should be looking for on this car? I think the price is a little high, so I may have to squeeze him some...thoughts?

I bought a similar mileage 2009 O/B 2.5i this past september. It is good that it has that maintenance listed, I found a lot of seller trying to pass off head gasket leaks when I was look at mine. I would ask what brand of timing belt was used, OEM would be ideal, gates I would figure its not going to last till the next timing belt interval.

The TPMS isn't a known issue with 2009's. The TPMS battery may have run out and the TPMS needs replacement.

I paid amount more than that for my OB, but I am not sure about the 4th Gen Legacy values. One of the small local used car dealers that I went to that specialized in Subaru's mentioned that Legacy didn't sell well. [it looked like he bought cars at auction that needed head gaskets/timing belts.] He mention that the 2005-2009 Legacy were not worth it for him for spread of purchase price and reconditioning.

If you can prove the maintenance, especially head gaskets it seems like a good price to me. Of course I would still have it checked out with your local mechanic. For me my TPM light comes on if I'm just a little off of air pressure. ANNOYING...

If you can prove the maintenance, especially head gaskets it seems like a good price to me. Of course I would still have it checked out with your local mechanic. For me my TPM light comes on if I'm just a little off of air pressure. ANNOYING...

This^^ both my 08 Legacys and my 09 LGT TPMS were the most sensitive. 31 lbs in one the light is on, however that TPMS isn't OEM the previous owner replaced it.

For $5K WITH the stated maintenance youll get 100K out of that 2.5i so long as you keep oil in it :) best part about the 2.5i is that they are very basic mechanically, cheaper to own (87/89 gas, 5w30 dino oil, 205 sized tires, cheap plugs (4 for under $20 that last), a radio that is easily replaced if it dies, cheap insurance, bombproof 4 Speed Auto or 5 Speed MT)

for a teen its sporty enough to be cool and slow enough to not worry as much (all cars can go 80mph just some much slower than others :lol:)

Archived