LegacyGT.com

Gen 6 rusted suspension parts

I changed my rear diff fluid this weekend and was a bit taken back by the amount of oxidation along the weld seams on the control arm, and other pieces of the rear suspension. I purchased the car used (previously used in West Virginia) but have driven it for the last two years in southern Indiana, which is relatively mild winters.

Obviously, I understand rust is going to be vary depending on location, driving conditions etc, but wanted the community input on if they believe the rust I'm seeing is along normal lines, or if I should take some invasive measures to correct it.

thanks in advance

Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XodoqY6vxaLsbm3K6

Doesn't look like much to worry about on a car that's almost four years old driven in that part of the country. Not much to be done about it unless you want to gum up your car with undercoating which may not even help much.

I changed my rear diff fluid this weekend and was a bit taken back by the amount of oxidation along the weld seams on the control arm, and other pieces of the rear suspension. I purchased the car used (previously used in West Virginia) but have driven it for the last two years in southern Indiana, which is relatively mild winters.

Obviously, I understand rust is going to be vary depending on location, driving conditions etc, but wanted the community input on if they believe the rust I'm seeing is along normal lines, or if I should take some invasive measures to correct it.

thanks in advance

Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XodoqY6vxaLsbm3K6

Those parts don't go into the rust inhibition bath that the rest of the chasis and body go through during manufacturing. If you look at your first pic, the silver area there is rust free.

I don't know the reason why they don't do it. May be cost or something mechanical/chemical.

On the other hand, the suspension components endure a lot of stress during their operation and any coating/paint starts to peel away; and that's where the rust forms. Its kinda like if you paint a piece of metal and then twist it.

Also even just the humidity in the air will attack metal, doesn't have to be snow and road salt. It sure does speed things up though.

Rust happens.

In the Rust Belt, which includes both West Virginia and Indiana, rust happens even faster. Occasionally running the vehicle through a commercial car wash that offers an under-chassis rinse will help slow the process.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Archived