LegacyGT.com

What am I getting myself into?

Kaylee 2003 Outback wagon 2.5 4EAT: Other than some minor lighting upgrades (brighter low beams, HIR1 highbeam upgrade, yellow fog light bulbs), she stayed totally stock. Original owner had done some audio upgrades. Not much to really gain out of a Gen 2 H4.

Sprout 2006 Outback wagon 2.5i 4EAT: I've done a few minor lighting mods (brighter low beams, HIR1 highbeam upgrade, yellow fog light bulbs) on her, and replaced the 2 piece engine underguards with the one piece OEM unit from a higher trim level...and my wife will murder me if I do anything else. It's her car and she loves it how it is. So her long term plans involve mostly keeping the paint in good shape and replacing things as they wear out. That said, likely doing Mevotech LCA and KYB struts when it becomes time.

Mal 2002 L.L. Bean wagon 3.0 4EAT: Lots of work here, some intentional and some just by chance. Brighter low beams, HIR1 highbeam upgrade, yellow fog light bulbs, Lamin-X yellow fog light film. Swapped the worn out leather interior to cloth (complete with different fabric patterns on the front and rear seats for extra classy cheapness), swapped the L.L. Bean wheel to a less slippery base model, replaced faded 2000-02 style front grille with an 03-04 type. No further plans outside of repairs as they are needed, although I might rattle can him if the massive clearcoat damage turns into full fledged failure. If I can find a Baja rear sway bar for cheap I'll grab it. He's a good work horse, and a pleasant ride but the original owner's neglect wore him out more than I initially thought. When new car comes along he'll be retired to camping rig/surrogate pick up truck duty.

Next: In about 18 months my dad retires and is going to get a Last New Car for his retirement. I get first dibs on the 2006 OBXT Ltd barring any unforeseen situations.

Oh. A car that ACTUALLY has room for modifications? Neat. Haven't had one of those since my 1997 Thunderbird Sport back in college. Not that college me had any money to modify said TBird, but I knew it could be done when I became Not Broke...which never happened before a drunk driver turned my Bird into a junkyard bound shop class reject origami project. Back to the subject on hand...I can actually DO things to an XT. Things for fun and things for upgrades.

Crap, now I need to get Not Broke.

So, I'm planning my Car Time around what to do with a one owner, completely stock, under 120,000 mile OBXT. Well, other than start drooling at the possibilities 'cause already doing that. And anything worth doing is worth overdoing, so here we go!

Initial plans/short list goals are improving reliability and driving enjoyment, ideally without a major hit to MPG:

Any needed service and repairs, anticipating new KYB struts (2006 front, 2004 rear) based on age/miles.

Inspect/remove banjo bolt filter.

Grimmspeed catless up pipe.

Grimmspeed Master Cylinder brace.

Subtle Solutions radiator shroud, black.

CKE SSP 5EAT insert.

CKE SSP antisway bar bushings as needed.

Cobb AP, stage 1 OTS map.

Tint windows.

Lamin-X yellow fog light film.

HIR1 high beam upgrade.

Long term plans if all goes well and no serious issues crop up making the XT a short term project:

Grimmspeed boost controller.

Grimmspeed or Cobb catted downpipe.

Grimmspeed turbo heatshield.

Air/Oil Separator, if recommended by tuner.

A legit protune by XRT or local tuner.

Grimspeed TMIC, whenever stock unit starts leaking.

Mevotech aluminum control arms, when stock ones fail.

Proforged front and rear end links, when stock ones fail.

Morimoto HID retroquick complete kit.

OEM 2007-09 headunit for aux capability.

Other than starting to wear my nonexistent baseball cap backwards and start vaping, what am I missing to join the turbo crowd? :lol:

Long term, reality, by the time you have money to afford an XT they will be so old...why bother.

If you do, 05-06 need a catless up pipe. Get a Cobb AP go stage 1, then get a catted downpipe and go stage two. The GS tmic is nice but its another $900. So with just these parts, you've added almost $2000 to the car you just bought that is how old ?

I buy Moog end links for my old cars now, $30.00. You have nice plans, but don't be throwing money at a old car.

Just saying.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

but don't be throwing money at a old car.

If I did that I'd never have owned a car...or be driving my 2002 right now.:lol:

I'll be getting this one for cheap with every service record from the moment it was bought new. I'm figuring a used AP, catless UP, and stage 1 stuff will have me in for under $1,000. IF the car seems reliable enough after a year or so, I'll likely take it to stage 2 with the new DP. If not, I'll enjoy stage 1 until it dies and I sell it as a parts car.

If I did that I'd never have owned a car...or be driving my 2002 right now.:lol:

I'll be getting this one for cheap with every service record from the moment it was bought new. I'm figuring a used AP, catless UP, and stage 1 stuff will have me in for under $1,000. IF the car seems reliable enough after a year or so, I'll likely take it to stage 2 with the new DP. If not, I'll enjoy stage 1 until it dies and I sell it as a parts car.

As long as your going to have to remove the DP for the up pipe. I have my old Invidia catless DP if you'd like if for cheap. I just put a new catted one on my wagon. The old one catless, was installed Aug 2010. I kept the box the new one came in so shipping in a box will be easy. I may also have a new GS 3" to 2.5 inch adaptor that I finally bought and installed after all these years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived