LegacyGT.com

Key won't lock or unlock

Hey all, I have a 2005 LGT and I noticed just the other day that my key doesn't do anything to lock or unlock. I handed my dad the spare key so he could go move it and he came back saying it wouldn't unlock it. When I went out and used the fob, it unlocked, but then I tried to lock it with the key. No dice.

I wanna fix it because if the battery dies at some point I would not be able to get into my car and I'd love to be able to give my dad the spare key so he can move or use it when he needs to. Any ideas?

Sent from my Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk

The key that doesn't unlock the car, it works in the ignition right? Do you have any keys that work in both the ignition and door?

I was in that same position, one of my keys would only work in the ignition, but not in my door. Since I'm the original owner of my car and I know nothing has been changed, I bought a new key on ebay, transferred my remote internals to the new key, and had a hardware shop cut it for me. Works great in the door and ignition, I think the original key just had a tiny bend that made it not work in the door.

The key that doesn't unlock the car, it works in the ignition right? Do you have any keys that work in both the ignition and door?

I was in that same position, one of my keys would only work in the ignition, but not in my door. Since I'm the original owner of my car and I know nothing has been changed, I bought a new key on ebay, transferred my remote internals to the new key, and had a hardware shop cut it for me. Works great in the door and ignition, I think the original key just had a tiny bend that made it not work in the door.

Both keys work in the ignition and neither work for the door.

Sent from my Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk

Have you tried a little lube spray into the door lock ?

I can't remember the last time I used one of the keys to unlock the door. I also have owned my wagon since new.

There was one time a few years back, I parked at the Dealership and tried to use the fob to lock the car and it wouldn't lock. I was going to the Parts Dept any ways. I told my buddy there about it and he changed the batteries for me and said he has heard that if there is another Subaru close to it with a near lock code, it may cause issues.

When I got home and the fob worked great.

FWIW, I'll also say my Spec B, it's fobs will only work if your within a few feet of the car. My wagon I can use the fob from a long way away. It's almost line of sight, if I can see the car the fob will work.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived