LegacyGT.com

Dome light not turning on when doors open.

The dome light in my new (to me) '05 LGT wagon does not turn on when the doors are open - the only lights that do are the ones that are on the underside of the doors. The light for the cargo area in the rear does not either when the switch is set so that it turns on when the doors are open, however, I'm not able to turn the light on regardless. Help me troubleshoot? Is there a way to test if the bulbs are good/bad without replacing them? Is there a fuse I can check that would affect this? If so, which is it? Anyone else had this issue? The goal obviously is to get them to work. Thanks!

I have replaced the dome light a number of times over the years in my wagon. Bulb's are cheap and easy to replace and easy to tell if they are blackish and burned out.

The service manual will have the wiring,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Second item might be the door switch. On some models the switch actually is a double switch with one set of contacts for the dome and another for the ground lights in the door. Doesn't apply to all cars/models, your mileage may vary and it can't hurt to check with a multimeter.
453747.png

Update: I replaced both the dome light bulb and the cargo light bulb. The cargo light works now, however the dome light still does not work. The old bulb didn’t appear scorched or anything obvious. The light doesn’t turn on when the door is open, or when I flip the switch to turn it on. Any ideas?

Could you elaborate further? I don’t follow. Also I you could let me know how to investigate this with the multimeter, I know how to use one but not what I’m looking for. Thanks

Second item might be the door switch. On some models the switch actually is a double switch with one set of contacts for the dome and another for the ground lights in the door. Doesn't apply to all cars/models, your mileage may vary and it can't hurt to check with a multimeter.

Pull the bulb out of the dome light, open the door, and see if there is power at the light. Also, make sure the ground on the light itself is good and the wires are connected.. If no power, pull the switch out of the pillar and see if there is power at the switch. Also make sure the ground at the switch is good and both wires are connected. If no power then you have to track it down to the fuse box. If there is power at the fuse box and the fuse is good, then you have a broken power wire somewhere in between the fuse box and the switch.

Make sure the socket inside the light where the bulb makes contact is clean too.

Archived