LegacyGT.com

Front passenger bearing suspect...

2011 Legacy 2.5i.

I have been thinking that I hear some extra noise from the front right while driving our Legacy.

So today when I was changing oil, I kept the car on jack stands a bit longer and tried wiggling the wheels around. As it turns out, when I put my hands on the passenger wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock and wiggle the wheel, there is a bit of play and noise in there. Not so on driver side. Also no noise with hands at 12 and 6 o'clock.

So I'm thinking wheel bearing; or could it be something else?

Looking at YouTube videos it seems a bit PITA but doable. I mean I did replace the timing belt and water pump by myself too so I think I can handle it. But anything else I should test other than that wheel shimmy so I replace the right thing?

Ah yes another thing... so I have looked at vacation pics and seems like "Front Hub Unit Bearing" is what describes the process.

What is a bit confusing is that YouTube videos and threads seem to indicate that one has to remove cotter pins and castle nuts but vacation pics (DS-16) do not seem to indicate that?

The only reason I could see for that would be if you can't get the hub out of the knuckle- if that's the case, you'd need to remove the whole works and press the hub out of the knuckle, and you'd be looking at cotter pins and castle nuts for that.

I have always used 12 and 6 o clock for bad wheel bearings and

9 and 3 for steering components (inner/outter tie rods and steering rack).

Maybe have someone rock the steering wheel back and fourth (car wheels on the ground) while you look at the steering components under the car and you should be able to tell if it's in the steering.

The couple times I have had a bad wheel bearing I have been able to hear it. I read on the forum that you can check the bearing by spinning the wheel and holding the strut to feel for the bearing. 9 and 3 usually is check for steering components and 12 and 6 can check the ball joints. If you have a loose wheel from a bearing I would assume it would be in all directions.

Thanks!

As a result of what you said, I did do a bit more research and my conclusion now is that indeed it might be a tie rod but I need to get the car back up in the air and investigate more. Seems like the recipe is:

• Equal wiggle in all directions is probably a wheel bearing
  • Horizontal wiggle (9 & 3) is likely outer or inner tie rod end
  • Vertical wiggle (12 & 6) is likely upper or lower ball joint

Good Luck! On the topic of Wheel Bearings, I know my Drivers Front bearing has gone bad. I have the usual signs, being louder when turning a specific direction, more noise from that tire as I gain speed, etc. The task of replacing the Bearing on these cars is actually quite easy as it can be done as a unit. Simply requires removing the Tire, Brake Rotor/Caliper, removing the Axle Nut and Pushing the axle from the Hub, then 4 bolts on the rear of the assembly to release it from the Steering Knuckle. I will actually be doing mine in a couple weeks when I return from my Honeymoon, in addition to a full brake job as a Warped Rotor has helped the Bearing along its dying process.

if it is the bearing do not waste your time pressing out the old one and pressing in a new one, replace the entire hub assembly.. it will be faster and cheaper over all

https://parts.boisesubaru.com/p/Subaru_2014_Legacy/HUB-COMPLETE-FRONT-AXLE/49238177/28373AG01A.html?partner=bingshopping_parts_color_make_model_year

Archived