LegacyGT.com

Under chassis Engine Cover

FMIC and not blocking the scoop = BAD over heating issues on track. Still works better with a splash tray.

As basic as possible you dont want a "pillow" of high pressure air under the hood.

The negative pressure differential under the TMIC (which is greater with a splash tray) increases the high pressure air flow through the TMIC and out the bottom of the engine bay (flowing towards the rear of the car).

In principal I agree with you, but what are your thoughts on covertrussian's data posted above?

If you take his data and subtract the units of pressure from before/after, it shows a greater differential with no undertray. If you look at the '60mph steady' values, you get a difference of 0.54 with the undertray, and 0.94 without. With the larger number representing more encouragement for the air to go through the intercooler, doesn't his data show that it would be better to NOT run the undertray. Are other things at play here? Maybe the front lip actually IS doing something?

Picked up my undertray. Amazing to me that my local dealer has one within a couple days for my almost 14yr old car...

IMG_2121.thumb.jpg.e33d900e21d16cdd83a1c89bd29f5f6b.jpg

Installed it in 15 min. Two push clips for the wings that were already there and I found 3 bolts that fit perfectly for those mount points from my "Subaru bolts" box.

I buy all the aforementioned reasons such as protecting the bottom a bit as well as airflow for cooling. My buddy is a manager for Subaru midwest parts/svc and he said one purpose was to reduce drag and improve fuel economy.

My son's 09 Outback has the small wings on each side on the bottom. I found new OEM replacements on eBay for my two Legacy sedans for ~$80 and free shipping.

I buy all the aforementioned reasons such as protecting the bottom a bit as well as airflow for cooling. My buddy is a manager for Subaru midwest parts/svc and he said one purpose was to reduce drag and improve fuel economy.

Yup it serves that purpose too, this can be verified by looking directly at the car and seeing what hangs below the bumper, that creates drag zones.

For example, when I had the equal length header the lowest pipe became a drag point:

attachment.php?attachmentid=253434&stc=1&d=1501646016

With factory header it's the oil pan and the subframe:

attachment.php?attachmentid=253422&d=1501645968

With both of those setups the belly pan is far more aerodynamically better to no belly pan. But, with that said, an air dam (front lip) would further improve the aerodynamics IF you remove the belly pan. That's because the belly pan sits much lower then it has to:

attachment.php?attachmentid=269721&stc=1&d=1539264776

Properly designed airdam needs to stretch low enough to cover all the high turbulence components and no more. If it's too tall, it will unnecessarily increase the frontal area of the car. It just so happens that the S204 lip is a perfect fit for our cars even with equal length headers:

attachment.php?attachmentid=269716&stc=1&d=1539264723

TL;DR... On a stock bumper car, keep the belly pan on, it covers all the high turbulence zones, thus will reduce overall drag. But on a car with a front lip, the lip should cover those turbulence zones already, thus if you want to go the extra mile removing the belly pan will further reduce your aerodynamic drag.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Our 2006 Outback came with the 2 small side pieces. I took them off and replaced with the full size piece.

No need for upgrading to a metal skidplate on this car, she's a highway road tripper, rarely ever sees even a gravel road.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived