LegacyGT.com

Smells like an old muscle car when cold

mmm def

Alright so about a month ago I had my gauge kit put in, now anytime I start the car cold it smells really bad like an old muscle car, you know the exhaust smell, comes out of the engine bay. The smell goes away when the engine warms up. When I get on it when the car is warmed up I get an oil smell in the interior for a few seconds.

I don't hear any leaks or anything, they did take the intercooler out to put the wires in, any ideas?

LOL mccorry well ok it's not "bad" I just wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that, it's pretty much the open exhaust smell. Is it possible to have a leak and not hear it?

How about the burning oil smell through the vents when I floor it, never had it before the gauges.

Yup Melayout I'm guessing you're right it is a firewall leak, they did go through it to run the wires. So..how do I plug this leak? Did they not put some covering back in, I know they fished around near the IC. I don't know if there is a covering down there, What should I be looking for? Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been noticing a leak as well. UP/DP connections were retorqued at the shop that did the install, and no bolts were lost. Visual and hand used to test for leaks. No noise.

Still, getting nasty exhaust in cabin, to the point of having mild CO issues, ie light-headed, tickle in throat, mild headche the first time in happened after about twenty minutes of driving with the vent open and heat on.

Can smell exhaust immediately on start-up outside the front of the car, and it changes from the rich gas/muscle car smell to a "hot" exhaust smell as the car warms.

Manifold to head connection? Anything else that could have been tweaked that could cause a leak to occur that is not making noise but could dump exhaust into the engine compartment?

Thanks!

-B

Guest *Jedimaster*
I had the same thought the other day while the car idled and I brushed snow off of it. Smeels kind of like my snowblower when I first start it :lol:

Archived