LegacyGT.com

Ok - I'll say it now - I have buyers regret

Yesterday I placed an ad on craigslist to sell my 2007 Volvo V50 and it sold today. An almost perfect car.

After the people looked at the car they saw the Outback and asked if I just bought it. I said yes, in June. They said they just sold a 2017 that had 15,000 miles on it. I asked why? They said they got tired of all the issues with a car that only had 15,000 miles on it. I was stunned and about ready to take the Volvo off the sales table.

If anyone has followed my posts the 2015 Outback Limited that we purchased in June 2018 as a Certified vehicle has had more issues than I care to discuss. Now the voice recognition isn't correctly working.

Even the suibbies that I purchased with over 100,000 miles (or more) on them didn't have as long of a list. This car only had 36,000 on it.

So now I meet someone who bought a used one with low miles, didn't own it for long because of issues. Am I missing something? Except for the issues they said they liked the car.

Sigh? I hope to get all the kinks worked out so that I can become another happy subbie owner. I can now say for certain that I have buyers remorse. ;)

Maybe that particular outback was a lemon?

I had the Outback as a loaner when they were fixing my Subaru's computer (not manufacturer issue, my daughter shot the car) and I really liked the Outback.

I almost traded in my Legacy for a new Outback last week but decided I'm going back to BMW next year and will keep the Legacy as a winter vehicle then give it to my son in five years when he starts driving.

Now the voice recognition isn't correctly working.

I guess you are willing to pay $12k - $17k for a perfectly functioning voice recognition system. I personally care less, as long as the car is mechanically sound and runs good.

I've heard Volvos are great cars, but if I had that kind of money, I'd get myself a Porsche than a volvo :)

438208729_MagicalSnap-2018_08_2308.43-008.thumb.jpg.d0919f15ff5c7cb42e710bb856de22ff.jpg

255405191_MagicalSnap-2018_08_2308.44-009.jpg.7c97af66aa84df8b6114176b1492be14.jpg

I wrote the story back in the what did you do to your legacy thread last year.

she failed basic gun safety. we were plinking outdoors and while my son and i were finishing up, she was moving stuff back to the car. for some reason, she reloaded her gun and was carrying it back and it fell so she grabbed it as it as falling. thankfully it was just the car and not her. so now no one leaves the table until we are all done and the only gun that stays loaded is the one on my belt.

there's three holes in the car, entry and exit in the dash and entry into the steering wheel.

the dealership removed the bullet and i glued it on a subaru emblem and mounted it on her wall as her first kill.

The Legacy will go to my son as his first car in five years. My daughter is driving my exwife's old car. When she's ready for a new car, I will get her an Impreza. My next Subaru (after my BMW) will be a BRZ.

the odds that you will have more issues with a Subaru vs a Volvo, or VW, or any other brand are low, but of course that does not mean every car will be trouble free from any brand.

However, the more electronics on a vehicle, the more potential issues you will have, and that will be an issue going forward as more new cars adopt more electronic items.

If the car is certified pre-owned, take advantage of your warranty to get issues addressed, but stop thinking all Subaru's are worse than all Volvos, or whatever thought comes to mind, because that isn't true.

I can say I don't have buyers regret, but I am glad I leased, no issues with the car (other than a slow Rear Cross Traffic alert system), but I will move on to a smaller, more potent car for my next commuter (probably not another Subaru next time).

At least Subaru hooked me on the modern safety systems and adaptive cruise...

It was a 36 month off-lease vehicle and I assume that the woman leased another car.

Selling it is always an option but because we bought from a dealer, selling private would mean we will take a several thousand hit.

I've always bought cars with much higher mileage than this one so I am surprised at the issues on a 3 year / 36,000 mile car.

For now I'm going to keep working with the dealer to work out the kinks. The story the couple told me last night about their 2017 Outback just got me thinking but I also try and remember this is my 5th subbie......so I'll give the car a chance.

If the car has issues and you don't like it why not just sell the car? No big deal. Move on to something you like better. It's quite possible that the original owner got fed up with it too and did the same.

We wrote a $24,500 check for the car and yes even if I don't use all the options I do expect everything to work.

We sold another Volvo last year that had over 230,000 miles on it, not one tear in the leather, not a bit of rust, used no oil, etc. and without hesitation or reservation I would have drove that car coast to coast.

I'll say with great certainty, Volvo's are not as easy to work on as a subbie. :)

Owned 5 subbies so far and 3 Volvo's. I bought my first Volvo in 1969. I was 16 years old, it was my first car -- a 1964 P544. I paid $750 for that car. Mine was green. It was the car where I learned how to set up dual carbs. Had a lot of fun with it.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1964/volvo/pv544/101014225

I guess you are willing to pay $12k - $17k for a perfectly functioning voice recognition system. I personally care less, as long as the car is mechanically sound and runs good.

I've heard Volvos are great cars, but if I had that kind of money, I'd get myself a Porsche than a volvo :)

It was a 36 month off-lease vehicle and I assume that the woman leased another car.

Selling it is always an option but because we bought from a dealer, selling private would mean we will take a several thousand hit.

I've always bought cars with much higher mileage than this one so I am surprised at the issues on a 3 year / 36,000 mile car.

For now I'm going to keep working with the dealer to work out the kinks. The story the couple told me last night about their 2017 Outback just got me thinking but I also try and remember this is my 5th subbie......so I'll give the car a chance.

OK, so in that case you must have an extended warranty and the problems shouldn't be costing you any money at least. I agree that you should work with the dealer to get the problems fixed.

My last two cars before the Legacy were both Volvos. I sold the FWD 850 when it was almost 16 years old and had 175+ miles. The AWD S60 was 8 years old and had just over 125k. Both were sold on Craig's list in less than 24 hrs. I wanted another Volvo, but they have become so dam expensive. I bought the Legacy and have, in general, been happy. It is certainly NOT a Volvo, but it is adequate and for the money a relatively good deal.

The Legacy is better than kissing your sister, but not as good as having sex with your second cousin.

No cost to me .....yet. Although running 25 minutes one way, waiting on the service department to fix, etc. is a cost.

OK, so in that case you must have an extended warranty and the problems shouldn't be costing you any money at least. I agree that you should work with the dealer to get the problems fixed.

Archived