LegacyGT.com

NAV screen - what were they thinking

We are on a mini vacation and we've had to use the NAV system on our 2015 Outback. What the heck? When the sun is shining brightly, all I see are the squiggle lines embedded in the screen. I have to take my hand and shade the screen to see the NAV map. Not good when you are coming to a place where a lane choice must be made, you are doing 70 MPH in heavy traffic, you can't see the screen and you have to take a hand off the wheel to make a tent. We tried different colors but that didn't help.

Seems to me that the problem is created by the upward angle of the screen and the screen is not recessed into the dash.

Is that any work around for this situation?

For the life of me I could not get a split map screen. Such as one side the showing the text of upcoming route changes and the other showing current location of movement.

I'll read the manual and maybe it will get better.

Since you have navigation pull the trigger on the bottom left of the steering wheel until it shows the mini navigation (turn, distance and street/road name) on the console screen. This should be helpful in those situations.

For a more permanent solution try a hood or something from Amazon. Here's a link!

Roof was closed. We were headed west, sun was almost directly overhead with a few degrees to the west. We can't stint the windshield. :)

Although it looks nice and sleek, some (if not most) of the problem is the glass covering that is the problem on the Outback. The Honda NAV is recessed a bit and has some protection from the sun on the sides and top.

In the Outback picture it is 7 AM, the sun is not fully over the trees and if my phone camera is good enough to show it, even now you can see the lines on the screen.

Not much I can do. I looked at the sun shade in the other link and wonder how the CD motor sensor feels about something constantly located in the slot?

Didn't an engineer someplace in the world drive this car in the full sun and take notice to that crappy glass?

Plus I like the buttons on the Honda because you can quickly and easily change modes. On the Outback you must do the touch screen hunt and peck method of changing modes.

^^ or close the moon roof and tint your windows.

614944611_HondaNAV.thumb.jpg.cb62468ae8b7aaee4f61ecf88a22e374.jpg

1503847151_OutbackNAV.thumb.jpg.d2249464e311d11c920887ba8eb70d8f.jpg

Read the manual last night on the NAV and could not find how to do a split screen that shows the map on one side and the text directions on the other. The text screen is a feature that shows a certain amount of lane changes, exits, etc. that will be coming up in the future. It is long before the voice tells you what to do plus you can get the changes in your head and know what lane you will need.

In this I think our 2011 old Honda has it over on the 2015 Outback. There are things the Outback has over the Honda but on this NAV....so far I think the Honda wins.

If that's your NAV on the right it needs to be replaced. Hopefully you're under warranty.

A hood should work in the slot. I would install it when the car is off. Also try the center cluster navigation.

It sounds like you like your Honda a lot. Why did you change?

Huh? We are talking about one feature and not the entire car.

And yes I like the Honda but I've also always liked Outback's (owned a few). We've previously owned several Subbie sedans.

What, a NAV screen replacement? No it is not under warranty and now I know why the manager...the one who was trying to sell us the extra $1400 warranty specifically mentioned the cost of a NAV replacement. I think thy knew.

If that's your NAV on the right it needs to be replaced. Hopefully you're under warranty.

A hood should work in the slot. I would install it when the car is off. Also try the center cluster navigation.

What, a NAV screen replacement? No it is not under warranty and now I know why the manager...the one who was trying to sell us the extra $1400 warranty specifically mentioned the cost of a NAV replacement. I think thy knew.

Dag that sucks. The NAV that has those touchscreen lines appearing were being replaced by Subaru. Contact Subaru of America directly to see if there is a TSB or something to replace it and hopefully for free.

Read the manual last night on the NAV and could not find how to do a split screen that shows the map on one side and the text directions on the other. The text screen is a feature that shows a certain amount of lane changes, exits, etc. that will be coming up in the future. It is long before the voice tells you what to do plus you can get the changes in your head and know what lane you will need.

In this I think our 2011 old Honda has it over on the 2015 Outback. There are things the Outback has over the Honda but on this NAV....so far I think the Honda wins.

If you touch the upcoming turn box on the top right, it will show you the details of the full route. Unless you have the hack to let you use the HU while moving, that screen is all greyed out and not bright enough to see well.

Dag that sucks. The NAV that has those touchscreen lines appearing were being replaced by Subaru. Contact Subaru of America directly to see if there is a TSB or something to replace it and hopefully for free.

I've been talking woth SOA over certain issues that were not done on a CPO Subaru. Now I have to add one more in the mix?

I wish I had a link to the recalls, TSB etc.

I'm starting to consider that there are probably thousands upon thousands of Outbacks out there with a NAV unit problem. Sometimes the only thing that makes them take notices is a big bat and the bat being an attorney filing class actions. I hate thinking in such a way because I am not big on people who sue but when they (dealers and SOA) don't move....what are ya gonna do?

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/349089-faded-foggy-infotainment-screen.html

I've been talking woth SOA over certain issues that were not done on a CPO Subaru. Now I have to add one more in the mix?

I'm starting to consider that there are probably thousands upon thousands of Outbacks out there with a NAV unit problem. Sometimes the only thing that makes them take notices is a big bat and the bat being an attorney filing class actions. I hate thinking in such a way because I am not big on people who sue but when they (dealers and SOA) don't move....what are ya gonna do?

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/349089-faded-foggy-infotainment-screen.html

Yeah situations like then are an inconvenience but don't get discouraged. Some dealers may take their time and spend 0.6 Hours allotted to "looking" at your issue but SOA don't play that. Let them know and they will get in contact with a dealer to make sure you are happy. I'm not telling you how to act but try to stay calm and nice as it will go a long way with SOA.

I'm sure a regional rep will most likely get involved if you still aren't satisfied and meet with you to get your Outback working as expected if not better. I'm not trying to take a shot at Honda but Subaru of America's customer service takes the cake.

Here's the TSB just in case. 15-177-14R and the Condition Number is 37

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/online_reference

Maybe all of the years that have the crappy NAV head units should be included? For years Subaru has known about the situation of the NAV units.

2018 SUBARU OUTBACK INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM PROBLEMS – CLASS ACTION INVESTIGATION

https://chimicles.com/2018-subaru-outback-infotainment-system-problems-class-action-lawsuit/

I'm not telling you how to act but try to stay calm and nice as it will go a long way with SOA.

Here's the TSB just in case. 15-177-14R and the Condition Number is 37

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/online_reference

I'm always calm because it is business and the other person is just trying to do their job.

I couldn't open your link because I don't have a subscription. I did find it at the link I've provided but no #37. My link stops at #26 but still that is a lot of quality issues for a head unit and still in 2018 they are having HU problems.

Maybe I'll end up doing what someone said on another Subbie forum

I bought a Garmin 1450LMT with Lifetime Map and Traffic updates (SUNA and Cyclops) today from ---------- for $149. Registered it online and must say it looks awesome where I have placed it. I have given up on Subaru and the SUNA dilemma and at least with the Garmin I have no more to pay....

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10094367-2280.pdf

Are they covering it under the 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty? Is that what you mean by extended or do you mean that you purchased an extended warranty?

I need to know so that I can intelligently talk with the service department.

it is a tsb 15-177-14r and covered under factory warranty or subaru extended warranty. have this issue in my 15 legacy and getting it replaced soon under factory extended.

Yesterday I contacted the guy that sold us the car, he said to call the service department, tell them you recently purchased the car and tell them the problem.

I called the service department, they said the sales guy had already made them aware of the problem. They said to come in so they can get information off the Nav HU. They'll send away for the part, they are familiar with the problem these units may have with lines in the screen.

So far they have not said it will be a charge for me. SOA is standing in the wings to have a conversation with the dealer about some other things that I've posted in other threads.

We will see how it goes.

It is 6:45 AM, it is raining outside so it is cloudy. I took a picture and these lines are normal? If I have to drive into a closet to not see the lines, to me, I would consider this to be poor design.

I have never, ever seen a capacitive screen where you can see the digitizer with any lines while it is turned off. Maybe if it is turned off you could see the lines.

I'm not a high end phone buyer, normally $150 is tops for me to spend and no lines. I've never had a phone that I see lines when the phone is on or off.

Here is the screen without sunlight on a cloudy rainy day. I can see the lines.

QUOTE=securityguy;5821779]Remember, this is NORMAL for this screen. What is NOT normal is that the lines can be seen all of the time. If you see them in the sunlight and not in the shade, there is nothing wrong.

791169453_HUwithoutsun20180811_064536_resized.jpg.bf71795fe7f3b6090fb5fef1f24edbe1.jpg

Just a Note. Make sure you are not overdriving the Brightness. This issue was the killer of the old CRT monitors.

It is 6:45 AM, it is raining outside so no sun. I took a picture and these lines are normal? I have never, ever seen a capacitive screen where you can see the digitizer with any lines while it is turned off. Maybe if it is turned off you could see the lines.

I'm not a high end phone buyer, normally $150 is tops for me to spend and no lines. I've never had a phone that I see lines when the phone is on or off.

Here is the screen without sunlight on a cloudy rainy day. I can see the lines.

QUOTE=securityguy;5821779]Remember, this is NORMAL for this screen. What is NOT normal is that the lines can be seen all of the time. If you see them in the sunlight and not in the shade, there is nothing wrong.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

We are second owners of the car and it has done it from day one, so I didn't have a chance to overdrive the screen. Doing searches it seems that Subbies are the cars with Fujitsu Ten units that have lines or fogginess problems. I would bet there are other cars out there but a lot of hits on subbies. Or maybe subbie owners are more vocal. :lol:

Just a Note. Make sure you are not overdriving the Brightness. This issue was the killer of the old CRT monitors.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Pics of my nav screen. No digitizer lines. Florida sun hitting it at noon or so. The lines on the left pic are probably due to the sun hitting my camera lens. You don't see those in real life.

IMG_9058.jpg.6f19bc742a5f3c0ad98fd7926b446f04.jpg

IMG_9054.jpg.5618119772ae97cc24ba13ad3739f748.jpg

---

Archived