LegacyGT.com

Glowing Exhaust

mthurmond

I drove home last night and when I pulled in the garage the car was popping more than usual (heat popping). I opened the hood and where you can see through the heat shelding the Exhaust manifold (not the shielding) pre-turbo was glowing red. It's not a night thing either, I checked this afternoon and I can see the glowing in my garage with the door open and sun coming in.

My question is this: should the exhaust manifold get hot enough to glow?

Yeah, that's normal! Cast Iron will start glowing somewhere around 1250 degrees, and our exhaust does run around 1400-1450 pretty regularly. I just don't advise running the car hard, and then immediately shutting down. Just drive easy for the last mile or 2.

Great info for me too.

This is my first FI car. I was used to NA.....and when you get a glowing cat.... it means there's a blockage in the flow that needs to be addressed!

Thanx!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

The glowing on my car isn't immediately noticable unless it's dark outside, then you see the glow peeking out from the cracks in the heat shielding. If you know what you're looking for, and it glows like mine, you can see it if your car's in the shade.

Yowser, that is not good.

Everytime it gets that hot, then cools, the structure of the casting becomes weaker, until one day........CRACK !

Your turbo glows when you are running it hard.

You better replace it, it's gonna crack!! OMG!

1 year. ~22000 miles. Stuttering, hesitation and bucking on acceleration. According to the repair order: "Per subaru tech line, performed cylinder leak down test." The teardown also revealed significant carbon buildup in the combustion chambers.

Sounds like you might of been using poor fuel..

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Your turbo glows when you are running it hard.

You better replace it, it's gonna crack!! OMG!

If your turbo glows that colour, then you better start looking for a new one, the up pipe cat is about to disintegrate and go through it. :icon_surp

From the chart below, I would say that guy's header was around 950 deg C, around 1750 deg F. At that point, the crystalline structure of the casting is permanently altered and becomes very brittle unless it is cooled down in a controlled way.

The turbo might glow a blood red, or even a cherry red, but most definately not orange.

http://www.westyorkssteel.com/images/htchar1.gif

I've seen a turbo and exhaust manifold glowing light red to orange before... granted it was not on anything even remotely similar to an LGT. it was an International DT466 (466 cubic inches or 7.5L) diesel engine (think really big dump truck) on an engine dyno. Maxed out at 24psi boost, full load, at about 2100rpm. the dyno said it was producing in the neighborhood of 1150 ft lbs of torque, and i believe it considering that it was twisted over in its mounting cradle and picking up two of the stand's legs off the ground!!

still one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Archived