LegacyGT.com

Swapping a ‘06 GT engine into an ‘06 NA Outback, need advice please

You need the instrument panel and the correct keys if not the security system will never let the car start.

What are you doing with the transmission? You also need the body control module.

I see you are going against all the good advice given to you on this thread. :spin:

EDIT: If you succeed leave a good chunk of money for future YNANSB. :spin:

True.. I’ve decided to take the road with the “Dead End, No Turn Around” sign posted. I don’t see why it can’t be done.. yes it’s a lot more work than I originally anticipated, but nothing I can’t handle. I’d like to add that I do appreciate all of the advice given and hope my rebellious decision doesn’t keep you from further helping me in my future endeavors.. also, how do you post pictures? I wanna keep everyone up to speed on this foolish adventure and I feel it’ll help other misguided risk takers in the future.

I talked to my local DMV about the swap and the possible complications. The guy explained everything would be fine as long as I swapped all the necessary components and flashed the computer to recognize my VIN. I haven’t called my old boss yet to see if the dealership will do that for me or not.. but I’m sure there’s someone in town with a programmer that will help me out.

You need the instrument panel and the correct keys if not the security system will never let the car start.

What are you doing with the transmission? You also need the body control module.

I see you are going against all the good advice given to you on this thread. :spin:

EDIT: If you succeed leave a good chunk of money for future YNANSB. :spin:

What about the transmission?

What about the transmission?

Are you swapping in a 5eat from a GT or how are you going to handle the extra power wear on the current transmission? ECU talking to the current transmission. Etc.

---

A friend of mine swapped a salvaged 2.5 gt (engine, tranny, interior, everything)into my old 06 2.5i legacy. Even then, it involved cutting up the harnesses to get everything plugged and working. Both were manual, but it took him a long time to get everything up and running. He does this time of stuff all the time though and swaps subaru engines back and forth all the time.

Being a spectator on the amount of time and work (he considers his work fun) involved, I would definitely recommend against your swap plan for anyone who doesn't have a service manual in their head and spare vehicles to drive around while this happens.

If you want a sleeper wagon just find an XT and pop the XT decal off. Why go through all this trouble when there are better options out there? The reason no one has a list for you is because it's a terrible idea.

Are you swapping in a 5eat from a GT or how are you going to handle the extra power wear on the current transmission? ECU talking to the current transmission. Etc.

How much power can the factory tranny handle? I was gonna use the stock drivetrain until something popped then upgrade down the road. But if it won’t handle the extra power, I can grab the tranny and rear diff from the ECU donor car. I found a local shop that has a few GT wagon and XT parts cars. The car I’m getting the ECU from is only missing the engine. Everything else is available.

Quick searchdifferences in 2.5 and GT:

The gear-ratios/final drives between the 2.5i and 2.5GT Legacys are different and so the rear diffs are not the same ratios (from an LSD nor from a ratio perspective)

2005 2.5i Legacy 5MT

1st 3.454

2nd 2.062

3rd 1.448

4th 1.088

5th .780

Rear Diff (non-LSD): 3.90

Compared to the

2005 2.5GT 5MT

1st 3.166

2nd 1.882

3rd 1.296

4th .972

5th .738

Rear Diff (LSD): 4.111

And there are the brakes which are bigger, and a laundry list of other things.

I don't have the time to research all of it but you will have to.

---

Quick searchdifferences in 2.5 and GT:

The gear-ratios/final drives between the 2.5i and 2.5GT Legacys are different and so the rear diffs are not the same ratios (from an LSD nor from a ratio perspective)

2005 2.5i Legacy 5MT

1st 3.454

2nd 2.062

3rd 1.448

4th 1.088

5th .780

Rear Diff (non-LSD): 3.90

Compared to the

2005 2.5GT 5MT

1st 3.166

2nd 1.882

3rd 1.296

4th .972

5th .738

Rear Diff (LSD): 4.111

And there are the brakes which are bigger, and a laundry list of other things.

I don't have the time to research all of it but you will have to.

Lol I understand and appreciate the research you have done for me. I’ll keep everyone posted on the progress.

Are you moving the whole wiring harness over? Basically you'll need to pull the entire dash to either replace the harness or spend quality time with the service manual splicing the two harnesses together.

Lol well I have the complete legacy GT.. so I can transfer over the hood.. as for the engine fitment.. I know I’d have to make modifications to fit the up pipe.. am I over looking another difference in the crossmember? As for the computer and wiring.. can I not just get an outback XT computer? Buying another car isn’t an option.. I’ve already given the car a custom paint job and custom interior and wheels, I want to keep the current vehicle. What else do you have for me? This is all good stuff

Can we see the custom paint job and custom interior and wheels?

You will also need the fuel pump control unit and associated wiring in the rear quarter of the LGT as the 2.5i doesn't appear to have one referenced in the service manual.

The radiator fan circuits back to the ECU are also different, but if you are taking the whole wiring harness and ECU you'll probably be fine.

You will also need the fuel pump control unit and associated wiring in the rear quarter of the LGT as the 2.5i doesn't appear to have one referenced in the service manual.

The radiator fan circuits back to the ECU are also different, but if you are taking the whole wiring harness and ECU you'll probably be fine.

I keep coming back for pictures and there arnt any....

This is such bad idea. If you want a project, find yourself an 05-09 XT Outback with a blown motor in Craigslist (relatively common) and just fix that and sell your 2.5i OB with a blown motor. It might cost you a $500 difference.

Wow, subscribed for sheer astounding curiosity. I consider myself a shade tree mechanic and have pulled engines/trannies, etc. The physical aspect of swapping parts isn't the issue here, it's the sheer amount of fabrication/modification and chasing electrical issues. I'd rather drive a POS then do something like this. Just my 2 cents.

I’ve been taking tons of pics of the process, stripped down the second parts car today for the harness, fuel lines, fuel tank, computer, steering column, etc. all in a days work. When I worked for my local Subaru dealership, I pulled well over 1000 dashes out of these cars for the Tamara airbag inflator recall and the sticky dash recalls.. I’m no stranger to these interiors lol. All that’s left is to tear down the wife’s interior and swap the turbo car goodies in. Hoping to have it running by this weekend. As for the pics.. I still don’t know if I can post any yet..

Oh and by “custom” wheels, paint and interior.. it’s really nothing crazy.. the car was originally two toned silver and grey, we painted it a dark charcoal grey.. I restored and painted some 2012 Impreza wheels and tossed in some 2016 etc center caps.. and the interior I wrapped the A-pillars in black leather, covered the headliner in black suede, and painted all of the tan trim black. I’ll post pics of everything as soon as I figure out how to do so.