LegacyGT.com

BNR 16g oil supply

So, should I ditch my IP&T oil filter kit?? I've been running my BNR16g (one of the first, still in VF40 housing) for approx 75k miles now, first on OEM oil line, then maybe last 30k(?) on IP&T kit..
It is my understanding that if you use the oem banjo at the turbo then you won't over oil the turbo and float the bearings. I've been using the IP&T avcs and turbo feed line for 100k. I just pulled my VF52 with over 100k and it had no play other than the normal journal bearing play.

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/oil_restrictor

Interestingly Garrett/Honeywell says restrictors aren’t needed for journal-bearing turbos unless oil is leaking past the seals. They say nothing about floating the bearing :confused:

That said the OEM oil system has two restrictors, one in the oil feed hardline and one at the banjo. Are the IHI turbo seals just not as robust?

Subarus run far higher oil pressure than most vehicles. When on boost oil pressure is nornally 100+ psi. Most Honeywell seal ratings I have seen max out in the 70psi range. I have had to use Turbosmart oil pressure regulators (40psi) on numerous builds.

When I asked Brian, he told me that I shouldn’t need any restriction, but in the event that there was oil smoke in the exhaust then a restrictor would be in order as oil would be bypassing the seals. He also reassured me that it would cause no damage unless I ran it with disregard to the oil smoke for an extended period (like 1k miles).

Archived