LegacyGT.com

Door light connector removal

How do I remove the connector for the bootom courtesy lights on the bottoms of the front doors of my 2015 Legacy?

I can pop the lens assembly out no problem but cant figure out how the connector comes off. Im trying to install a set of logo LED’s

Pull it out a little more and you’ll be able to see how it disconnects. It’s a royal pita. My logo light never lasted more than a few months. I’m switching them back whenever I find the originals in my garage somewhere

I cant pull out the plug/wire far enough is another problem. That diagram in the manual doesnt really show much. Not sure if it pulls straight out or if I have to squeeze or lift up on the plug to disconnect it.

It would be nice if Subaru gave you a couple more inches of wire so that you could get 2 hands on the connector. Use some needle nose pliers to hold the connector side. Look at the connector on your replacement to get an idea of what has to move. I have done the same thing on a BMW X3 and BMW doesn't give you any more wire. It is important to find a logo light that has a cast aluminum heat sink. The inferior ones have a stamped backing plate while the good ones are thick aluminum. Replaced my first set after 4 months. Got the better ones and they have worked flawlessly for 3 years.

Honestly, the easiest way would probably just be to take off the door panel and disconnect the connect with your hands. It will give you a lot more room to to work and plug the new one back in. In my opinion you risk damaging the connectors and wires much less than trying to fish around with pliers plugging and unplugging stuff.

Archived