LegacyGT.com

Can you blow out the H/K speakers out quickly?

So to start off, I’ve always thought of this question. I’ve googled and searched some forums but couldn’t find a related answer. In my limited, I have the Harmon Kardon sound system.

My question: is a stereo like that tuned to be maxed out and still not blow? Or can I max it out (equalizer settings default let’s say) and be safe?

Is a general rule simply not to distort speakers and you’re safe? (Specially talking stock ones manufacturers install)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question: is a stereo like that tuned to be maxed out and still not blow? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the speakers, but I think it would be a reasonable bet that if you continually maxed them out you would eventually blow your ear drums.

^^^ THIS! Yes, please drive down the road with your music on the highest setting so you cannot hear any emergency vehicles coming.....

I think the distortion alone will have you crank it back down as the quality of the speakers isn't great but I would fully expect your speaker to blow based on the poor quality sound/distortion levels over time at continued use at such a high level.

if the radio does not ramp up the volume when you first turn it on and you have the volume cranked, yes you can blow out the speakers... you can also damage them by causing the amp to clip (that feeds them DC voltage)

I play mine pretty loud sometimes- like 80%. And distortion is a good sign you are over doing it of course. Mine (depending on recording) almost always gets too loud for comfort where I back it down a notch or two prior to hearing any system strain; music = crisp and clear. I would imagine the system would damage your ears before you damage the speakers (sustained). You might be able to get a damaging spike at 100% but why go there?

Yea thanks for the replies honestly. I mean I tried it let’s say at 80% and tbh I don’t think it’s that loud nor distorts at all.

I thought some companies may tune the stereo to where it won’t distort by limiting how loud it will go and prevent damage if that makes sense.

Manufacturers limiting output works for radio and sat. And mostly CD's. But won't work for any external input, via AUX. If you feed it with a high voltage/louder then what it would normally be getting from the radio then it push the speakers harder. So they don't really limit the output.

Conversly if your input is low then you may need to turn the volume up much more then if you were on the radio input, and may max out the volume but it's not actually that loud.

So to start off, I’ve always thought of this question. I’ve googled and searched some forums but couldn’t find a related answer. In my limited, I have the Harmon Kardon sound system.

My question: is a stereo like that tuned to be maxed out and still not blow? Or can I max it out (equalizer settings default let’s say) and be safe?

Is a general rule simply not to distort speakers and you’re safe? (Specially talking stock ones manufacturers install)

I'm betting you can blow out a speaker and say hello to buzzing speaker. For 50 years a pet peeve of mine has been buzzing speakers and why people blow out their speakers.

I guess if you want you can check the rms of the speaker / amp. I'm guessing they didn't have an audio engineer match speakers / amp but ya never know.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Archived