LegacyGT.com

Subaru Bolt Numbers/Measurements

Anyone know how the subaru bolt numbers work or what they mean, ie 6x26x20, 6x40x12. I know how normal metric bolts work (diameter X pitch X length) but I am not positive what these 3 numbers are referring to. First number looks like diameter, second seems like length, and the 3rd is length of thread?

I'm a derp and have ziplocks full of bolts and now I'm deciphering this mess with exploded diagrams but it would be easier if I can measure bolts etc. to find them faster.

I don't recall having any problems figuring out which bolt went where. I labeled the bags with where they came from.

There's not that many different bolts.

Which bolts are you trying the figure go where ?

If you made it this far, I'm should you can figure it out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i should have labeled them back then, and now 2 or so years later, i realize my mistake :lol:.

Trying to find my oil pump bolts, to send it with my disassembled long block to get rebuilt. For a couple bucks extra they will put it on. I can figure it out, but I get ocd sometimes so I need to make sure.

But in general it would be nice to know what those numbers mean, there's one for every bolt it seems.

I believe you're correct, I researched this in the past when I was confused as well.

6 x 26 x 20

6 = M6

26mm full length of bolt from bottom of head to tip

20mm = length of threaded part of bolt.

*I also just went out to look at some new/used bolts I have, and the bags they came in. Some just said stuff like 6 x 14, which seems to mean m6, 14mm of full thread.

Looking at that screw on Google, it looks like it says 6 x 14 on the bag. I would read that as m6 x 1.0 thread, and that it's a fully threaded screw, with 14mm of threads.

I guess I meant that if there are only two numbers, 6 x 14, then it's fully threaded. If there were three numbers, that would mean it's only partially threaded, with the smaller of the second or third numbers being how much thread there is.

*I have a bad habit of calling screws like that bolts, in my head a screw is something like a wood screw, which I know isn't always the case.

Archived