LegacyGT.com

Screw up with a Flywheel swap?

Few months ago I had a new clutch installed I went from a Dual-Mass to Single-Mass in my 2005 Legacy GT, I wanted to get an ACT clutch, but wanted to stick with a heavier flywheel so I asked about getting a WRX flywheel installed. The installer convinced me the driveability wasn't bad with the ACT Streetlight flywheel, so I went with it and they installed this kit ( ACT SB11-HDSS ).

Well long story short, while I think new clutch was good, I didn't entirely like the lightweight flywheel. I found a local shop that quoted me a fairly cheap labor cost of $300 to swap the lightweight flywheel with a stock 06+ WRX flywheel. From advice I sought out here I was under the impression this flywheel PN ( 12342AA090 ) should just work. However the auto shop guy tells me today with vague details why it doesn't work. They said something about a bolt pattern was different... so I was hit for a $300 labor charge, without anything really done today on top of a brand new flywheel just sitting here.

Was I wrong in assuming this swap would just work or am I dealing with a bad garage?

I'm curious to hear what others say, I don't know much about this.

In the thread below, coolbluelb with an 05 legacy gt test fitted a 06 wrx flywheel up to his 05 pressure plate, and he said it didn't line up.. so it truly might not be compatible, the shop may have been telling the truth.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/06-wrx-flywheel-51380.html

*Actually, I didn't read your post close enough. It sounds like you're using a clutch kit that's designed for a 2006+ wrx.

I have a 2007 Legacy GT flywheel in the 2005 GT wagon, with a Spec 2+ clutch for a 2007 Legacy GT.

I think another issue for the OP is the ACT clutch for a LWFW may be different from the ACT clutch for a SMFW

Check ACT's website, or call them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Doing more research I see your issue the SB11 kit has a bigger disc diameter (more similar to STI), which lets it hold more power but that means it's not stock flywheel compatible. SB5-HDSS is the compatible kit for stock 06+ wrx flywheels.

SB11-HDSS

Torque Capacity (ft/lbs.) 449

Disc Diameter (mm) 240

Product Weight (lbs.) 28.6 (with flywheel)

Kit for stock Flywheels:

SB5-HDSS

Torque Capacity (ft/lbs.) 420

Disc Diameter (mm) 228

Product Weight (lbs.) 14.5 (+23lbs for stock flywheel = 37.5lbs total)

Now I included weights for comparison to stock and my 06+ WRX flywheel and exedy clutch.

Stock DMFW Flywheel = 27.4lbs

Stock DMFW Flywheel & Clutch = 41.8lbs

06+ WRX Flywheel = 23.0lbs

06+ WRX Flywheel & Exedy 15804 = 36.8lbs

You are about 8lbs lighter then with stock setup, that's not tooo bad, just make sure to use a stock weight crank pulley and drive it until you need a new clutch/flywheel again.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

@covertrussian - okay that is making sense

According to ACT web page the kit comes with: 600890 XACT Flywheel Streetlite, which is 13.0lbs according to their page, so then it's 10 pounds lighter. I guess not too off.

I'm still running the stock crank pulley, yeah I've heard of the issues with trying to use a lightweight pulley with a lightweight flywheel.

Honestly at this point I've put too much money into trying to swap it, so I'll live with it. I'm fairly used to it now, but not entirely that happy with it still. Just not a huge fan of the chattering and how much more I need to rev it when getting going out of 1st.

The good news after calling them, I can likely get the new flywheel refunded, hopefully they won't change their mind once I bring it in today.

Archived